Thatcher on a £50 note

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Expensive way to wipe one's arse but whatever floats your boat.

Why not! She upped military wage's by about 50%, more or less overnight, when she got in, always seemed to have the interests the troops in mind, made relatively good decisions and had more backbone and character than anyone elected to the office since.

If it was between her and the spiv to have their visage on the note................who would you choose?

It's worth it just to upset certain people, beyond that I barely care who is on our currency

1539634107658.png

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wasn't she planning to ditch the Malvinas before Galtieri gifted her the 1983 election?
Not sure mate. I know that the mythical 'huge armed forces pay rise' was agreed and finalised by the prior administration but that doesn't stop people banging on about her largesse.

It's a mystery.

Why not! She upped military wage's by about 50%, more or less overnight, when she got in, always seemed to have the interests the troops in mind, made relatively good decisions and had more backbone and character than anyone elected to the office since.

If it was between her and the spiv to have their visage on the note................who would you choose?
Well, forces pay went up 10% and X factor by 3% just after she got in but that was announced by a Mr Jim Callaghan of Labour before she took office. The total pay rise of 19 to 38% was staged over, I think, 3 years (may have been 2) but, again, was announced by Labour in 1978 which was the year before she took up office.

Then, of course, the cuts to the forces were put on hold after the Falklands bit and she got behind the forces a bit more after that. After all, they did rescue her and assured she got voted in again in 83.

Probably give it another 100 years before she could have her picture on a banknote (if we are still using them by them, of course).

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wasn't she planning to ditch the Malvinas before Galtieri gifted her the 1983 election?
Yes, she was, though I believe it had been in the pipeline well before she got in. I'm not at home but I have a very well researched book which outlines it. I'll update at the weekend when I'm back if there's interest.

As I said elsewhere, the UK Gov were about to strip them of their citizenship - remembering it was before the invasion so no-one mainland UK would have A: noticed B: given a shit

Yes, she was, though I believe it had been in the pipeline well before she got in. I'm not at home but I have a very well researched book which outlines it. I'll update at the weekend when I'm back if there's interest.

As I said elsewhere, the UK Gov were about to strip them of their citizenship - remembering it was before the invasion so no-one mainland UK would have A: noticed B: given a shit

Facts are horrible things for lager drinking Sun readers over 50 with ugly stupid wives and unemployable kids.

I want it just to watch Bugsy explode.

Mind you when would he see one the day immigrant

It was a long-standing, pre-Thatcher plan to go down the route of leaseback (something like Hong Kong), which Thatcher inherited and was strongly advised to carry on with. Tory backbenchers weren't that keen and she had some reservations, but accepted (reluctantly to some extent) the advice of the FCO. Harold Wilson had been advised that leaseback was the way forward shortly before he retired - although it should be noted that the Foreign Secretary whose department was pushing the advice was the same man who, as PM a few months later, launched Op JOURNEYMAN. There is a sense that official opinion at the FCO, supported by the Treasury, was rather more keen on the idea of handing the place over to Buenos Aries than the elected leadership.

When Galtieri invaded, it simply confirmed all Thatcher's views of the FCO (that they were craven, pusillanimous, unpatriotic, etc, etc). Handbag was given a quick polish, put at 5 minutes NTM and the rest is history...

The story that Thatcher instigated a potential sell-out of the FI and then boarded the reverso-cycle on 2 Apr 82 isn't quite borne out by the facts. Leaseback had as one of the possibilities (as reported in the Times in 1980) the possibility of a lease without time-limit. The Argentines would have the satisfaction of their sovereignty claim being recognised, but the day-to-day running of the islands would've looked just as it always had. Remarkably, the government in Buenos Aries wasn't completely averse to the idea of Argentine territory being run on a subcontracted basis by the FCO.

Latest Threads