Thatcher killed off mining, discuss

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_n_fat, Mar 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. parapauk did you actually go to the link. The point is Thatcher was not responsible for the death of mining the falls are
    11 years of Thatcher: 33%
    11 years before Thatcher: 45%
    11 years after Thatcher (Major and Blair): 72%
    11 years of New Labour (Blair and Brown): 64%
    Thatcher has been lambasted by a compliant press for decades. The main people responsible were, Wilson, Major, Blair and Brown. But that does not fit with the Thatcher is an evil witch narrative of the left.

2. I reckon that the miners union killed off their own industry by getting too cocky.
    Thatcher saw an opportunity and seized it to 'encourage the others'.

Await incoming.

3. Piss poor management, production inefficiency, unions, and lack of ability to be competitive in the global market place brought the industry to its knees.

Maggie just speeded up the inevitable (and I’m no fan of hers).

Discuss?

4. Agreed.
    Look at British Leyland and Ford in the 70s.

The unions thought they were untouchable and found out that they were'nt.

PS. I'm no great fan of Thatch either.

5. LPJ, I realise that it is an article of faith that most of us have that Thatcher took on and killed off mining. However the article quite clearly shows this is a myth perpetuated by the left to demonise Thatcher. It is an excellent example of how an entire population can be fed a line and take that line to be a fact. Something that the Labour PR machine have latched onto and still use today. Anyone heard "we are best placed to ride out the economic downturn". Repeat it enough and people believe it.

6. roadster the numbers in terms of production
    the absolute numbers, not just the percentage changes in output. This shows that, under Mrs Thatcher, output fell by roughly 30m tons compared with a fall of about 50m tons in the period before, about 60m in the period after, and about 30m in the past 11 years, when there wasn't much left to lose.

7. I don't know many people that blame Thatcher totally for the demise of the mining industry.
    The miners thing was just part of a much bigger problem that existed in the UK at the time.
    Were you around in those days mate?
    I did the '77 fire strike and the dustbinmens strike a couple of years later.
    We were always on standby for some strike or other in the 70s.

It was like that all the time so I'm not surprised that the miners imploded

8. Poor management-
    In some cases yes, many of those cases were deliberate.

Production inefficiency-
    Nope, the majority of pits were very productive and very efficient. At least until they were "modernised" in a fashion that was intended to cut production. Made it easier to close them

Unions-
    More responsible than Maggie, deserved everything they got. Did the average hard working miner deserve the same fate? Personally i don't think so.

Not competetive-
    Weren't they? The much talked about cheaper imported coal was litteraly a few pence a ton, in a lot of cases that was more than offset by coal quality.

As to the original point of the thread, yes coal was in slow decline. Since the 1930's we have had a steady shift from coal to oil in many applications.
    By the 1980's the industry was much more streamlined and profitable (coal always was profitable)
    Thatcher helped kill coal but Scargill bears the most responsiblity,
    Was it inevitable and necessary? No.

9. Then perhaps the unions should have allowed privatisation then :wink:

10. So 50m tons before Thatcher, 90m tons in Thatcher/Major, and 30m tons in the period after privatisation performed by Thatcher/Major that couldn't have been stopped short of renationalisation. So pre-Thatcher 50m, and 120m tons that she was responsible for.

11. You don't nuke a city because the mayor is a cnut.

12. Maybe
    But then privatised utilities have not proven to be a bargain for the country have they?
    Coal is/was a utility, the whole country is standing on the stuff, abundant energy.
    We now face the very real prospect of being held to ransom over energy imports in coming years, all a little foolish when we have decades of energy self sufficiency under our feet isn't it?
    Killing coal destroyed far more than it gained.