Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunno

• Who is Margaret Thatcher?

• What is Apartheid?

• Total voters
I've been browsing all over the internet - well a few sites - and can't find any references to Margaret Thatcher apologising for her disgusting behaviour when she propped up the abominable, murderous apartheid regime in South Africa some years back.

Try as I might, there seems to be no condemnation of apartheid coming from her direction. When will she see the error of her ways? Is she still as mad as a box of frogs?

I know she definitely DID condemn Nelson Mandela for being a terrorist, but while she's still alive and kicking, and hasn't yet joined lover boy Pinochet in an eternal embrace, can she join all other sane, reasonable members of the international community and do the decent thing? We don't want it coming around again, after all :roll:

I seem to recall when P W Botha visited 10 Downing St in the 80s, which was met by media criticism(we used to buy the daily mirror back then), her stating that apartheid was abhorrent because it was the first time I'd heard the word.

mac1 said:
I seem to recall when P W Botha visited 10 Downing St in the 80s, which was met by media criticism(we used to buy the daily mirror back then), her stating that apartheid was abhorrent because it was the first time I'd heard the word.
Yes. I remember that well. I think you mis-heard what she said. She was on the steps of No. 10, wafting her hand, then turned to Dennis and said "A fart I did was abhorrent".

cpunk

LE
frenchperson said:
mac1 said:
Yes. I remember that well. I think you mis-heard what she said. She was on the steps of No. 10, wafting her hand, then turned to Dennis and said "A fart I did was abhorrent".
You've clearly been drinking or smoking something exotic, Frenchy. Strange, I thought you'd decided to eschew ARRSE.

Yes, Margaret Thatcher's views on apartheid are clearly a key issue nowadays, though I'm more exercised by Hadrian's views on the Scots and Offa's views on the Welsh: both obvious racists.

I strongly suggest you get onto www.akula.org and actually read the letters sent by Margaret Thatcher to Botha.

If you do this, rather than reading new statesman style interpretations of what went on, you will see that Thatcher quite clearly stated that she believed that discriminatory laws should be removed, and she also specifically stated that Mandela should be freed - however she also clearly stated that she felt that it was not correct for the UK to dictate and interfere with the internal politics of another sovereign country, and that she thought that negotiation and inclusive dialogue was a better solution than trade sanctions, whose greatest effect would be on poorer blacks rather than the state.

Maggie Thatcher cared shite for her own country, so who would care what she spouted about apartheid? During her glorious reign was high interest rates, war, high unemployment. She sold our assets off and left us with no manufacturing and a decimated infrastructure.

KevinB said:
Maggie Thatcher cared shite for her own country, so who would care what she spouted about apartheid? During her glorious reign was high interest rates, war, high unemployment. She sold our assets off and left us with no manufacturing and a decimated infrastructure.
So whose dosh has labour been spending for the last 11 years? Is increase consumer debt, a number of major conflicts and more people living on some form of benefit better?
At least interest rates can fluctuate, only 3rd world countries or bankruptees get their debts wiped out.

you must be benefiting from labour to still hold to such archaic views

smallbrownprivates said:
So whose dosh has labour been spending for the last 11 years? Is increase consumer debt, a number of major conflicts and more people living on some form of benefit better?
Actually quite an interesting website at http://www.vernoncoleman.com/poli.htm - the guy's a rabid anti-Brownite and a bit obsessed with Europe but he makes some good points about finances under Labour.

KevinB said:
Yep, and we are soooo much better off under Liabour, aren't we?

We have immense stealth taxes (instead of high interest rates), war and unbelievably manipulated employment figures chucked out by a government that is so corrupt they make the Tories look like saints. We are now selling off profitable assets (as opposed to the unprofitable union corrupted dinosaurs that Maggie got rid of), taxing British manufacturing to death and allowing foreigners to influence every part of our infrastructure.

Personally I sh1t all politicians at the moment, but rants like the above by KevinB, who obviously hasn't ever looked at what was going on in the global economy and the global world at the time (the recession didn't stop at the borders of the UK you know, it was a World Wide issue that even the most staunch liabourites can't blame Maggie for) grip my sh1te.

I reckon the most laughable comment had to be the "war" one. At least she was defending UK sovereign soil, not implementing US foreign policy.

As for the Tories of the day opinions on SA, I think it has been mentioned that the Gov was against it and said so quite strongly on a diplomatic level, but didn't wish to alienate SA completely by doing it on a public level. In that vein, the answer to the above is "No" as it would be hypocritical.

BiscuitsAB said:
KevinB said:
Hmm Location Boston?

Boston Mas or Boston Lincs? Either way it explains a lot.
My bold.

Well spotted Biscuits, I missed it.

It would explain a lot

KevinB said:

Err...and we're better off under a Labour government - how, exactly? 8O

smallbrownprivates said:
KevinB said:
At least interest rates can fluctuate, only 3rd world countries or bankruptees get their debts wiped out.

They are not 'archaic' views - she did us much harm - not good - with her culture of greed and selfishness - and her divisive economic policies.

KevinB said:
smallbrownprivates said:
KevinB said:

They are not 'archaic' views - she did us much harm - not good - with her culture of greed and selfishness - and her divisive economic policies.
So answer the question, Kev - how exactly, are Labour any different? FYI: I was brought up to believe that only the class warriors of the Labour Party stopped the Tories from bringing back Serfdom and that Maggie Thatcher sacraficed babies to Satan during Black Mass.

Experiance has taught me rather different: that ALL politicians are lying, thieving, cowardly, treacherous CNUTS. :x

Labour, Tories, SNP - I'd burn them all and p1ss on the ashes. :evil:

KevinB said:
smallbrownprivates said:
KevinB said:

And exactly what good have Liabour done us?

As a business owner I have had to drop the manufacturing side (taxes which outweigh what customers can buy from importers that aren't taxed anywhere near as much), can't pay my guys what I would like to due to cut throat prices coming in from the EU (via EUJOR, if you know what that is you will know why, British service industries being opened up to competition from other EU countries that pay their workers half as much) therefore lower tender prices equal lower profits equal lower wages, not being financially viable to train apprentices due to minimum wage (I did it on a YTS, didn't hurt me, more than being on the dole and learned a trade), stealth taxes fcuking galore, the list goes on and on and on.

I am currently looking at just selling up and fcuking off abroad where I can earn more money as an employee of a foreign company than I can as the owner of a British one. This would lose 18 guys their jobs if I did it. And why am I in this boat? Because of fcucking Liabour, simple as.

If you think the "low interest rates" and "low unemployment" that Liabour spout as part of their rhetoric are actually down to them, you really do live on another planet.

Whilst her political legacy like all others was mixed being made up of both the good and the bad, and I don't think even her most stalwart defenders can deny that on some things she was wrong, compared to the previous governments she inherited from I'd have to say on balance she her policies were decidedly good for the country.

Lets look at your claims, "high interest rates, war, high unemployment". Now from the war comment I'm assuming that you mean the Falklands Was and the first Gulf War. Both of which were actions to remove the armed forces of military dictatorships who had invaded regions or countries where the local population strenuosly didn't want them to be and much prefered the current government. So how exactly was this so bad?

High unemployment as a straight figure certainly can't be argued with, what I would take argument with are the reasons. How much of it was global conditions (cheaper overseas imports against inefficient local products) and deciding that we weren't going to keep throwing good money after bad to try and keep domestic industrial dinosaurs afloat when they should have dies by then vs. active policies on her part.

And as for high interest rates, since you're the one making the claims and the onus is on you to prove them, would you care to dig out the interest rate figures for her premiership and the figures for an equal time before she took over and show us how they went up under her government? Granted its been years since I last looked at them but I could have sworn blind that interest rates actually generally decreased on her watch.

For those too young to remember the 70's UK was in Sh1t Order by 79.
Maggei came along and sorted out the Pile of Dung.
It was not nice what she did, she threw an entire Generation of Working Men on the scrap heap.
But her actions saved the day.
The 'MEN' who have followed have had their chance to improve where she left off.
Long gone but still Respected around the world as a PM who had BALLS to take hard not so popular decisions.
john
No man could have done what she did.

jonwilly said:
For those too young to remember the 70's UK was in Sh1t Order by 79.
Maggei came along and sorted out the Pile of Dung.
It was not nice what she did, she threw an entire Generation of Working Men on the scrap heap.
But her actions saved the day.
The 'MEN' who have followed have had their chance to improve where she left off.
Long gone but still Respected around the world as a PM who had BALLS to take hard not so popular decisions.
john
No man could have done what she did.
My bold

I am just about old/young enough to remember the firemans strike, miners strike etc, etc.

The country was going down fast, it needed someone to break the unions before we turned into the CCCP and ended up the same way they did, Maggie was the perfect person to do it.

If we could all live for another 100 years, I'd bet my soul that she will be seen in the same light as Churchill for being an Iron character that could make Iron decisions that were for the long term good. Pity Bliar fcuked it up by handing our sovereignty to be split between the EU and the US.