THAT rifle

We were always told gas plug and cylinder out first before breaking the action and removing the working parts.

Remove the “gas plug, gas rod and spring” from the gas cylinder?

Forgive me if this seems pedantic but it’s an easy thing to do I suppose!

I think I’m right. I’m not sure after all these years!

For normal cleaning, gas parts first then working parts. It caught a few of us out on occasion, when we first converted to SA80.

It's almost as if we were a professional army with a lot of hard-earned experience
Almost. I never worked out why it wasn't NSPs, pull back and lock the working parts, pull barrel through (dry), remove, clean and lightly oil the gas parts, replace them, let the working parts go forward, break the weapon, remove, clean and lightly oil the working parts, replace them, close the weapon, pull back and lock the working parts, pull through and lightly oil the barrel, carry out functions check then clean magazines one at a time.

Watched that a few months ago, I really thought the film’s director and Armourer did a brilliant job getting all the weapons and uniforms right.
Yep, really good film, people forget that Aussie and Kiwi blokes were there. Influenced slightly, IMHO, by 'We Were Soldiers, but still a great film of a neglected bit of history.

The Aussies made good use of it as well, the film "Danger Close: The battle of Long Tan" is worth a watch

The 'Frankie' who 'kicked the mine' was a real person who I met through a friend in Canberra, quite a few years ago now. I also knew and worked (occasionally) with a WO2 who had been D/6 RAR but missed Long Tan as he was on R & R. He told me (in about '89) that he still hadn't worked out how he felt about that.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Ahem... Gas Piston....

Been meaning to get to see that. That song's bloody good. Up there with 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda'.
Because of the film, I collected two history books about the battle, one written by the plt sgt on the ground, who, at one stage, called in their own artillery on his own position, and another two by (then) Maj Harry Smith, Company Cmdr on the ground. One about the battle itself, and the other, about his battle for recognition of the fighting, having put the sgt in for the VC.

From what I've read, the film sticks pretty close to the actual events, and the balance of weapons depicted is also accurate.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The correct parts nomenclature are..

Bang tube
Poker rod
Gas mantle
Slider block
Kill switch
Bum stock
Aiming prongs
Clipazine
The correct parts nomenclature am

Cromarty

War Hero
Almost. I never worked out why it wasn't NSPs, pull back and lock the working parts, pull barrel through (dry), remove, clean and lightly oil the gas parts, replace them, let the working parts go forward, break the weapon, remove, clean and lightly oil the working parts, replace them, close the weapon, pull back and lock the working parts, pull through and lightly oil the barrel, carry out functions check then clean magazines one at a time.

Well, in the Navy, it was;
Get 10 rifles ready.
Load a million rounds into magazines.
Let everybody whose job isn't to shoot anything fire off said million rounds.
Don't shoot any yourself.
Take rifles and empty mags back to the armoury.
Strip and clean everything.

Now get back to work you lazy cnut i haven't seen you all day!

Well, in the Navy, it was;
Get 10 rifles ready.
Load a million rounds into magazines.
Let everybody whose job isn't to shoot anything fire off said million rounds.
Don't shoot any yourself.
Take rifles and empty mags back to the armoury.
Strip and clean everything.

Now get back to work you lazy cnut i haven't seen you all day!
The Navy were training to sink ships using "That Rifle" . . . . I did NOT know that !! ;) .

Last edited:
The Navy were training to sink ships using "That Rifle" . . . . I never knew that !! ;) .
In the event that nuclear tipped torpedoes failed.

They only signed out the SLR if the 16 " guns couldn't reach.

Even then they have to get a squaddie to fire it! Royal Navy and the Royal Marines just aren't up to the recoil apparently, something to do with ruining makeup and evening wear.

Not to mention it's difficult to maintain balance and a good shooting stance under recoil while in heels.
Most of us on this thread . . . Would NOT know that . . . ;) !!