THAT rifle

7 Sigregt had SLR's when we were in the Gulf. (excuse the mess, it was the maid's day off)

View attachment 413085

I was posted to 28 Sigregt in 1993 & they still had them then - didn't get rid until '94 as I recall...

There were even a couple with wooden furniture in the Armoury, t'was a lucky lad that got one of those, they were very sought after....

This pic was from early 94 - note the high security scrim scarf to stop the DS from nicking it, Chunky just relied on the fact that no fecker would bother to nick an LMG... :D

View attachment 413086
Presumably the enormous twin loudspeaker device was for calling on Iraqi troops to give up

Chalkster69

Swinger
Presumably the enormous twin loudspeaker device was for calling on Iraqi troops to give up
You have seen Signals kit before??

Twice as large, heavy & expensive as anything anyone else uses..... :cool:

itchy300

Old-Salt
Having just caught up on forgotten weapons on the Canadian C1A1 FAL and I like the top cover with charger bridge it would be handy to be able to top up your fitted magazine with chargers during a lul in the battle rather than swapping mags and ending up with loads of half filled ones in your pouch

And the C2A1

Seems the perfect BREN replacement at section level with the gimpy at platoon level.

Were these ever considered/trialled for British service? And if so, why not adopted

ugly

LE
Having just caught up on forgotten weapons on the Canadian C1A1 FAL and I like the top cover with charger bridge it would be handy to be able to top up your fitted magazine with chargers during a lul in the battle rather than swapping mags and ending up with loads of half filled ones in your pouch

And the C2A1

Seems the perfect BREN replacement at section level with the gimpy at platoon level.

Were these ever considered/trialled for British service? And if so, why not adopted
Only the canadians and Australians apparently. The L4 was only a stand in for the GPMG until it came into service

And the C2A1

Crumbs, that'd have a lot lighter than humping a LMG around Derry.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
On the old SLRs with wooden furniture, the trigger-guard could be folded into the wooden grip for an Arctic trigger. I've seen loads of piccies of SLRs after they were "Tupperised", but that facility seems to have been left out, as far as I can make out and the now plastic grip looks as if it's hollow. Does anyone know anything more about that?

MsG

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
On the old SLRs with wooden furniture, the trigger-guard could be folded into the wooden grip for an Arctic trigger. I've seen loads of piccies of SLRs after they were "Tupperised", but that facility seems to have been left out, as far as I can make out and the now plastic grip looks as if it's hollow. Does anyone know anything more about that?

MsG
Nope, that facility was still available with the black plastic furniture.

And the C2A1

1:51
"its pretty universally agreed that the C2 was a step down from the BREN gun"
Then lists its issues/unpopularities

I take it you have quite a bit of spare time ....
Probably said this before but here goes, I did like the s l r because I always felt if you hit someone with a round fired from it they would fall over or stop what they were doing.
Unfortunately not the case. A WO2 from (if I recall properly) RGJ once whanged a round into the dead centre of his target in Belfast; a Bad Guy. Bad Guy recovered, became a Covert Human Intelligence Source and was later extracted when his Bad Guy grouping started to wonder about him. Prior to that point, the RGJ WO2 in a subsequent posting bitched bitterly to me over an ale about his failure to extinguish the Bad Guy. A few years later, I found myself shepherding the former Bad Guy on his extraction, and he bitched about being shot. You really can't please everyone.

Unfortunately not the case. A WO2 from (if I recall properly) RGJ once whanged a round into the dead centre of his target in Belfast; a Bad Guy. Bad Guy recovered, became a Covert Human Intelligence Source and was later extracted when his Bad Guy grouping started to wonder about him. Prior to that point, the RGJ WO2 in a subsequent posting bitched bitterly to me over an ale about his failure to extinguish the Bad Guy. A few years later, I found myself shepherding the former Bad Guy on his extraction, and he bitched about being shot. You really can't please everyone.
Did he end up getting shot twice? It might explain another enduring legend :)

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
The bonding on that brickwork is terrible. It wouldn’t even stop a 9mm. :)
That's because they're FN FALs. If they'd have been SLRs, the brickwork would've sorted itself out of respect.

MsG

Did he end up getting shot twice? It might explain another enduring legend :)
No, extracted safely, with the promise that his life was entirely secure in our hands. Much hollow laughter ensued over the following years as the British Government kept its promises (more hollow laughter, fading to darkness). The hollowness of British Government assurances has ever been plain; I've no idea why we ever believe them at all. 'Perfidious' surely describe the bastards perfectly, whatever their Left/Right/Insane leaning.

Others haven't been so lucky, as I'm sure you're aware. Sometimes the individual is inherently unstable, and makes a lifechangingly stupid decision, and sometimes bad luck gets in the way, but mostly there's poor management by political figures, or political expedience, by everyone involved.

Does anyone know anything more about that?
I do, I know you are desperate for attention as usual by pretending you know something about the SLR.
I'm pretty sure Markintime (a real medic in the Army) caught you out lying (although that isnt hard) about medics personal weapons in the past.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads