THAT rifle

I use it in 3 gun comp's here & the rules say safety on, mag out & bolt locked back on an empty chamber.
Thankfully, this keeps the AK fanbois away.
So, disqualified? Or did they let you off with two laps of the square with a Wombat drill round?

Chamber empty, no magazine inserted & bolt locked back & anyway I is a civvy, so thrrppp! :razz:
Bloody safety is the only real PITA for lefties, as it can get knocked on by the top of the trigger finger.
I'm too tight to pay $180 to have it moved over to the right hand side.
As a lefty I too had that problem, so I changed over to right hand shooting. Simples.

I would have but I'm very left eye dominant as well as being a spacker when trying to shoot right handed.
That is the thick of it, lefties are forced from early life to operate both sides of the brain and are more adept switching arms between hands dependent on left/right turn of wall/cover.

Oooooh

My favourite ever rifle (at least the military version).

I fired the M-14 and was greatly impressed, the BM-59 just has a look of something designed for war with M1 Garand and M-14 hybrid... But, the AK is just the best, just for the fact you can hand it over to a 10 year old without any training and off they go.

I did read the AR-10 is supposed to be nails, but never held or fired one to comment.

Oooooh

My favourite ever rifle (at least the military version).

We commonly get para FAL's come up on the market here in NZ. I got rid of my SLR because I didn't use it much and it wasn't 100% stock, but I would be keen to get a para with maybe a shorter barrel (purely for the obnoxious/fun side of it) I'd probably get out with it more.

Last edited:
Hythe Sight.jpg

I fitted a Hythe to my 1961 BSA stock L1A1 and it really does improve the sight picture compared to the standard one. I also have changed to an XL butt plate which really helped too, pity that I didn't have such a choice when in green, I think it would have improved my scores no end.
Having the stock the right length also seems to help prevent stoppages. When I bought the rifle it had a M butt plate and I did get the odd stoppage. Since switching to the XL they have gone away and I put it down to the fact that it has taken out the free movement I was getting before having to change my hold to get my position.

I have the Hythe sight fitted to mine but either use the SUIT or an L5A1 night sight due to the aging process.
I noticed a big difference when I fitted a short butt, it improved my grouping as I didn’t shuffle around as much getting back into position. It does bring a wry grin on when people ask for a cabby, even when warned they usually end up with a bit of a bump to the old eye socket ;-)

In Infantry school,, I was issued an M16A2. After Airborne school, I landed an M60 in the 82nd Airborne. I laid on that until I became a Sergeant in the 3/75th Ranger Regiment. Afterward, I lugged around a CAR-15 in LRS.

Chamber empty, no magazine inserted & bolt locked back & anyway I is a civvy, so thrrppp! :razz:
Bloody safety is the only real PITA for lefties, as it can get knocked on by the top of the trigger finger.
I'm too tight to pay $180 to have it moved over to the right hand side.
A BFO rubber band sorted out the safety catch for me as a lefty shot.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
In Infantry school,, I was issued an M16A2. After Airborne school, I landed an M60 in the 82nd Airborne. I laid on that until I became a Sergeant in the 3/75th Ranger Regiment. Afterward, I lugged around a CAR-15 in LRS.
I had a short piece of string and a sister in the WRAC.