THAT rifle

Back when I was a cadet "That Rifle!" was THIS RIFLE!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Enfield_Cadet_RHS.gif

And when you got really elite in the cadet world i.e 3 star+ YOU GOT THAT RIFLE!!! i.e the sh*t L86A1 and at 15 you got over excited...

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Your unit may well have been holding weapons for another, UK-based, unit that was not yet established for SLRs - perhaps a TA reinforcement group, or some other unit to be mobilised in wartime.

Another possibility is that the No4s were the allocation of rifles for service shooting competitions. At that time, civilian and service target shooting (which was huge in those days) was still mostly being done with .303" as Service Rifle A or B ("SRa, SRb". A is standard issue rifle, B is rifle fitted with target sight and used with a target sling).
You could well be right on both counts there, 4(T)! I well remember TA wallahs turning up at our barracks and being issued with Lee-Enfields for schemes, which I found rather strange at the time, since they were also Medics, and because we other, regular, MAs (or "CMTs") were either issued a Smudge or an L9. But your reasoning makes sense.

MsG

All of our officers carried that rifle, the smgs were kept for the folk that needed them!
You mean the Baker don't you.

I know I know they're FALS so what

"Thieves replace rifles with toy replicas

Thieves in Paraguay have stolen 42 powerful rifles from the police armoury.

During an inspection, officers found that the FN FAL battle rifles had been replaced with wooden and plastic replicas.

The inspection had been ordered after the rifles started appearing a year ago on the black market, where they can fetch up to $10,000 (£7,785).

The rifles had been put into storage but were still in working order."

My main gripe with the SLR was gas stoppages. They were common and that with gas on 5 or less. My dad said when they were firing them on 10 when first issued and gas stoppages were rare. I could only conclude our weapons were just old.

The SMG was reliable as hell. The only stoppages I ever saw were from damaged magazines. Main problem regarding the SMG I saw was just how many British soldiers had one as a personal weapon. I'd hazard a guess at least half the Army. While I was never sold on the Bullpup idea at least it got the whole Army over to high velocity personal weapons. That's a huge change.
If the weapon was brought to the shop with the user complaining of numerous stoppages, my I.A was to check for lack of oil and then check the fitting of the gas cylinder, over time it would work loose and therefore block the gas going through to hit the face of the piston. If it was so loose it did obscure the 'gas port' in the barrel then remove refit and test fire used to solve 90% of problems ....
Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 13.06.58.png

Thieves in Paraguay have stolen 42 powerful rifles from the police armoury
I know that that line came from your link, but "powerful rifles" FFS, it's 7.62x51 not 50 BMG. Another case of fine journalism.:rolleyes:
As for FALs, yuk el cheapo Euro stuff, still better than nothing.:-D

I know that that line came from your link, but "powerful rifles" FFS, it's 7.62x51 not 50 BMG. Another case of fine journalism.:rolleyes:
.:-D
Having done my 3+20 years in the IDF using 5.56 rifles, I have no problem with a 7.62 x 51 calibre rifle with a nice long barrel being described as powerful (from 1995 until 2000 my squad weapon was the Barrett)

As for FALs, yuk el cheapo Euro stuff, still better than nothing.:-D
Having seen the mess that both 5.56 and 7.62 make (along with other calibres) I have no problem with considering 7.62 x51 as a powerful cartridge. By extension, rifles firing that calibre could fairly be described as “powerful “, imho. As to FN FAL, don’t knock em...

Back when I was a cadet "That Rifle!" was THIS RIFLE!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I was just giving up being a Spacey to go off and do boring stuff like GCSE exams when those reached our far-flung outpost. Gone were the days of making loud bangs with big, heavy (to us spotty kids), shoulder-smacking "guns" and in were the days of snap, rattle and pop with the abomination that was the L98A1. First time out the lad on the lane two over from me got halfway through his first magazine when up goes the hand with a bit of "Sir! Sir! There's a problem, sir!"

Couldn't see myself but the lass between us said that it looked to have basically fallen to pieces.

Bit of an anticlimax, going from 20rds without changing position to having to have to move about; tilt the thing, reach over the sight and pull a right-hand side handle back with the left hand, all whilst being a tiny teeny lying on your belly for each and every shot.

Last edited:
weapons list for armed guards on my vessel passing Somalia:
View attachment 338847
Am I reading that right as two guards, each with a rifle, a sidearm and four mags each per weapon? Presumably the sidearms were unloaded...?! And there was plenty of spare ammo to reload the rifle mags...? Or alternatively, four guards - two pairs with two different types of rifle chambered for same round? But still with plenty of loose rounds left in the box for reloads...?

Not being flippant or sarcastic - genuinely curious...

I was just giving up being a Spacey to go off and do boring stuff like GCSE exams when those reached our far-flung outpost. Gone were the days of making loud bangs with big, heavy (to us spotty kids), shoulder-smacking "guns" and in were the days of snap, rattle and pop. First time out the lad on the lane two over from me got halfway through his first magazine when up goes the hand with a bit of "Sir! Sir! There's a problem, sir!"

Couldn't see myself but the lass between us said that it looked to have basically fallen to pieces.
I had the maranyl handguards on a spiffy new L1A1 come unscrewed & fall off in the middle of a shoot back in 1976 or thereabouts. Plus it constantly FTE reliably even with the gas on full.
There's always the odd dog in any product, only the L85 dogs ran in packs.

If they're that close you're better off clubbing them with it.....accuracy would be greatly improved and targets would fall when hit
I’m getting a bit sick of all this “ SMG was crap etc”. As I recall from my long ago service, the bit where the empty cases came out made a useful Herforder Pils bottle opener, the rest came in handy for banging in tent pegs and if you took out the cocking handle ( an unnecessary accessory in my opinion) the weapon was easy to carry without jabbing you in the back. Also if you accept that you don’t need the cocking handle, then you also don’t need a muzzle or other apertures to allow dirt or dust to enter the mechanism. And a good length of black nasty is easier to apply than a weapon to clean.

I’m getting a bit sick of all this “ SMG was crap etc”. As I recall from my long ago service, the bit where the empty cases came out made a useful Herforder Pils bottle opener, the rest came in handy for banging in tent pegs and if you took out the cocking handle ( an unnecessary accessory in my opinion) the weapon was easy to carry without jabbing you in the back. Also if you accept that you don’t need the cocking handle, then you also don’t need a muzzle or other apertures to allow dirt or dust to enter the mechanism. And a good length of black nasty is easier to apply than a weapon to clean.
So you designed the 'weapon' for the Stormtroopers in Star Wars?

George Lucas walt.

I know I know they're FALS so what

"Thieves replace rifles with toy replicas

Thieves in Paraguay have stolen 42 powerful rifles from the police armoury.

During an inspection, officers found that the FN FAL battle rifles had been replaced with wooden and plastic replicas.

The inspection had been ordered after the rifles started appearing a year ago on the black market, where they can fetch up to $10,000 (£7,785).

The rifles had been put into storage but were still in working order."
I want to know where they got the wooden and plastic replicas from?

I mean I had an M16, Colt Commando, Python, 1911, Desert Eagle, snub nosed .38 and a couple of S&W .44 Magnums when I was a teenager but LS Models don't exist anymore do they?

I want to know where they got the wooden and plastic replicas from?

I mean I had an M16, Colt Commando, Python, 1911, Desert Eagle, snub nosed .38 and a couple of S&W .44 Magnums when I was a teenager but LS Models don't exist anymore do they?
Secret stash of the Airfix ones??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk