THAT rifle

I used to carry an SLR...

But that was only after, as a 2LT, I'd left an SMG behind on a bridge in Münster after a demolition recce.

My troop staffy advised me that I'd be less likely to forget an SLR :)
Bless. We staffys have never yet failed to bring along a junior Rupert and school him (or her) in the way of war. (If we like you. ;-) )

What? With plastic furniture? Blasphemy indeed! Only wood is authentic.

As an aside: with the original wooden furniture, you could undo a screw on the front of the hollow handgrip, take off a section and swing the trigger-guard inside the handgrip after unhooking the top end (of the trigger-guard) from a small bolt just behind the mag release on the underside of the lower carrier to produce what was called an "Arctic trigger" that allowed the SLR to be fired while wearing mittens.

Since I never handled an SLR with plastic furniture, I'm curious to know whether that feature was retained and how it worked, because as far as I can see, the plastic handgrip seems to be an all-in-one moulded jobbie without any obvious removable front-section. Anyone able to provide some info on that?

MsG
Did seven winters in Norway and never had to remove the trigger guard to fire as we were issued with arctic mitts with a trigger finger
bm1001__5.jpg

I used to carry an SLR...

But that was only after, as a 2LT, I'd left an SMG behind on a bridge in Münster after a demolition recce.

My troop staffy advised me that I'd be less likely to forget an SLR :)
Friend of mine (no not me) drove off from Bessbrook in a plain clothes Sierra leaving both his wallet and his Browning on the roof.

9mm recovered, stripe lost.

The Chunkies didn’t find the wallet apparently.

ugly

LE
All of our officers carried that rifle, the smgs were kept for the folk that needed them!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
GOR (God's Own Rifle) was already on general issue when I joined (begining of 1966), but I've always wondered how the exchange was carried out. Did they wait until they had enough for one each squaddie and then pull in all the Lee-Enfields and replace them with GOR army-wide, or did they do it bit by bit (or unit by unit) with probably the infantry first? Anyone clued up on that?

MsG

GOR (God's Own Rifle) was already on general issue when I joined (begining of 1966), but I've always wondered how the exchange was carried out. Did they wait until they had enough for one each squaddie and then pull in all the Lee-Enfields and replace them with GOR army-wide, or did they do it bit by bit (or unit by unit) with probably the infantry first? Anyone clued up on that?

MsG
Its normally done by formation and region/theatre, so that the whole logistics chain can be swapped around as well (parts, ammunition, armourers courses, etc).

In WW2, it was done one Division at a time and, in the case of the No4 rifles, they were supplied to the units forming up in England ahead of D-Day, and then later to 8th and 14th army divisions overseas during operational pauses.

The L1A1 probably went simultaneously to all BAOR units, plus paras & cdos. Second or third tranches would then go to UK-based units, with TA, RAF, RN and cadets following on in phases.

Thread drift: ISTR seeing a pic dated 1969(?) of a Ferret on border overwatch in Ulster and a soldier standing next to it with a No4 Rifle, presumably Cav?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Its normally done by formation and region/theatre, so that the whole logistics chain can be swapped around as well (parts, ammunition, armourers courses, etc).

In WW2, it was done one Division at a time and, in the case of the No4 rifles, they were supplied to the units forming up in England ahead of D-Day, and then later to 8th and 14th army divisions overseas during operational pauses.

The L1A1 probably went simultaneously to all BAOR units, plus paras & cdos. Second or third tranches would then go to UK-based units, with TA, RAF, RN and cadets following on in phases.
Thanks for your input, 4(T). Very much appreciated as the recognised expert, you are. The specific reason why I asked is because in Harden Barracks, 29 Field Ambulance in Obernkirchen at the time I was there (BFPO 29, 1969 to 1972), there were something like 15 or 20 Lee-Enfields still in their racks in the unit armoury, along with GORs.

On top of that, there was shiteloads of .303 ammo on the armoury shelves too (that we never got to fire off). That's not to mention the four rocket-launchers (along with 28 allegedly "real anti-tank charges") the unit apparently seems to have been issued with. I mean, what the fück would a Field Ambulance unit want with rocket-launchers? The bind moggles.

MsG

Thanks for your input, 4(T). Very much appreciated as the recognised expert, you are. The specific reason why I asked is because in Harden Barracks, 29 Field Ambulance in Obernkirchen at the time I was there (BFPO 29, 1969 to 1972), there were something like 15 or 20 Lee-Enfields still in their racks in the unit armoury, along with GORs.

On top of that, there was shiteloads of .303 ammo on the armoury shelves too (that we never got to fire off). That's not to mention the four rocket-launchers (along with 28 allegedly "real anti-tank charges") the unit apparently seems to have been issued with. I mean, what the fück would a Field Ambulance unit want with rocket-launchers? The bind moggles.

MsG

Your unit may well have been holding weapons for another, UK-based, unit that was not yet established for SLRs - perhaps a TA reinforcement group, or some other unit to be mobilised in wartime.

Another possibility is that the No4s were the allocation of rifles for service shooting competitions. At that time, civilian and service target shooting (which was huge in those days) was still mostly being done with .303" as Service Rifle A or B ("SRa, SRb". A is standard issue rifle, B is rifle fitted with target sight and used with a target sling).

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thread drift: ISTR seeing a pic dated 1969(?) of a Ferret on border overwatch in Ulster and a soldier standing next to it with a No4 Rifle, presumably Cav?
Cav? All the time I spent on Ferrets we had either a Stirling or a Browning.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Intelligence Cell 7
B Aviation 5
Jip Travolta Current Affairs, News and Analysis 8