THAT rifle

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Taff49, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. not a thread in praise of the SLR, just that I recently had a chance to fire one for the first time since basic.
    I did REME basic in late '89 and we had SLR for SAA. All good stuff and the same rifle's awaited us at SEME for the trade training (though on reflection, i only ever held one there while staging on?) I finally got posted to a working unit and was handed an SA80, and that was the end of my SLR shooting experience.
    I had handled one or two in the last couple of years, but only in a museam enviroment. While on my hols, I visited a shooting club with a mate, and he came over and told me that one of the other gun club members had an L1A1 and did I fancy a cabby on it?
    Seemed rude not too, especially when I found out it had an EoTech mounted on top of it.
    Didn't seem as brutal as I remembered and we didn't have tons of ammo for it either, but I did manage a rather respectable pair of 3-inch, 5-round groups at 100m, even with a red dot (which suprised me actually - i was going to use the red dot as my "never fired one with that on before" card but didn't need to).

couple of pics, and no T49 junior didn't get to fire it, just got to hold onto the gun "that daddy trained with"

Mods, not strictly "weapons, equipment & rations" I know, but didn't quite fit into sports either? Move if deemed necessary

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      99.6 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      98.1 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • 05 (1).jpg
      05 (1).jpg
      File size:
      148.5 KB
      Views:
    • 05 (2).jpg
      05 (2).jpg
      File size:
      113 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. A three inch group at 100 yards is fairly impressive, especially when you have a black box over your head...

• Like Like x 21
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Why are you holding on to the mag, frightened it might drop off?
    Taff49 Jnr although kak handed is holding it better than you :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. you know, i didn't even realise i was doing that until i saw the pics later on. picked up bad habits since basic :)

5. Sorry Taff49 I shouldn't really be picking anyone up seeing as I couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel, let alone get a 3" group! The only reason I passed my APWT was thanks to the old 7.62 pencil :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

You mean you hold the sa80 by it's magazine housing as well?

• Like Like x 5
  7. Which country? Was it an original semi-auto L1A1, or one of the single-shot bitsas we are limited to in UK?

8. I was in France, the owner was French and he bought it in belgium. It was marked up L1A1 (visible in the close-up pics) and was only semi-auto (as God intended :))

Chris, yes, I am exceptionally kak-handed!

9. Not another 'praise the SLR' thread please. For what its worth, you better group the 5 together on 100 meters with that EO Tech, it is worth 3 times the money the gun is worth and you are shooting from prone position!

10. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

Known as the (h)omo hold or, more correctly, a bastardised version of the alternate hold position.

11. AKA "I need an excuse" hold (I once saw one of THEM doing it, so it must be ok)

12. The Hinge Pin is in the wrong way round.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Spotter !

trainspotter.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  14. I had to think about it when you mentioned the hinge pin, then I realised, the bit above the safety, (Did they all have ARS on the safety?) The release lever?? in front of the stock, that allowed the working parts to be pulled out by the tail that hit the spring in the stock. The domehead screws threw me temporarily, its for the (probably american) site rail.

15. Pah!

Plastic furniture.

(Jammy bastard)

• Like Like x 1