"THAT MAN THEAYREEEE!!!!!!!!!!"

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

One of the best war films ever,seen it loads of times,The "Guns At Batasi" with the Regimental Sgt. Major Lauderdale,perfectly played by Sir Richard Attenborough is on Channel 4 now.(1330Hrs/1430Hrs on C4+1)

[​IMG]

2. engr172

engr172 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Good shout that man.....just put it on

3. Yeah, Great stuff, watching it now. you cant beat the old ones can you.?

4. Haven't seen this in years. It's brilliant... Love the way the adbreak just started with the thme from The Great Escape....

5. Those were the days.............RSM's were "right n proper"....no place for 'orrible little PC runts back then!!!

I miss those!!!!

off for ovaltine n slippers!!

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Loved the way the RSM sat down, un-done his Sam Browne strap & took his teeth out,putting them in a glass on the table.

7. "More ways to kill a cat than sticking a poker in it's ear lad." WTF

8. If you like that,you`ll love Harry Andrews as R.S. M Wilson in The Hill,one of the most underrated war films ever.

9. Lt Boniface
    You will appreciate that it is I who give the orders and you who will obey! For the first time in the history of my country, Sergeant Major, it is the African who is putting the shell into the breech and giving the order to fire!

RSM Lauderdale
    If you do happen to go putting a shell into the breech, sir, I sincerely hope that you'll remember to put the sharp end to the front.

Classic !

10. I've taken my sig block from it, but only because no-one has the quote where he calls boniface a 'black balled warrior'!

11. very very underrated.

Came across some scarey RSM's as a young lad but got used to it later, then again I was a crab and jumped at my own shadow.

12. The story was that Richard Attenborough did a drill instructors course at Pirbright for the part and even impressed the RSM there. Great story even if it isn't true. I have been trying to get the DVD over her in Oz for a while now.

13. Got a DVD from Amazon UK a couple of months ago.

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Don't blame them. Blame the system. My best friend as an NCO went on to be RSM and is serving out the last of his 37 years' service as a GSM (I shan't specify which garrison for PerSec reasons). I can tell you he is extremely bitter about how things have changed even since he was RSM and he desperately wishes they hadn't.