That defence stuff is not as imprtant as paying chavs beer tabs....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Apr 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

2. [​IMG]
    We spent all the money
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He's right in a way, 2 friends were ranting about the cuts and I answered with "Would you rather we carried on as before and in 5 or 10 years ended up like Greece?"
    they agreed but countered with the foreign aid argument which I cannot counter, I actually support the cutting of foreign aid to the bare bones. Make them apply for a loan like we have to and fill the criteria, nukes and space programmes dont count as necessary to feed the millions do they!
    Anyway back to the argument, we should reduce spending in line with reducing commitments. If that means bringing the troops home and forming a defence force with an expeditionary arm then fine. If that means a smaller services then sadly thats what happens when we dont havbe the money or the immediate need to waste it and lives in shithole sand pits.
    A tenth of what we have spent on aid and keeping our Generals tans topped up could be spent closing the borders of these places and ours!
    • Like Like x 3
  4. No No No, all he means is that you can buy votes from chavs but not from service people.
  5. **** it I say we rob the US gold reserve and use it to sort our budget deficit out. Im sure "they" would be up for it.
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I tihnk that Servicemen and women should be offered bribes as well, but that's not the point. The two problems here are:

1. There aren't enough votes there to matter.

2. They are scattered about too much anyway.
  7. He say no.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. IIRC there was a thread about this not so long ago. Contributors, with more knowledge of the subject than I, suggested that we receive quite a good return for our investment through business orders etc. Sort of "spend to accumulate".
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The argument is still dificult to counter especially to working folks seeing their savings worth less each year! I still believe much is wasted and a lot of uk firms dodge the tax they should pay on these foreign sales so we in effect as uk tax payers fund plc dividends.
    It isn't really value for money!
  10. I don't want to derail the thread (too much) or want a fight, but doesn't the business keep people in jobs despite any tax not paid?
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If indeed those jobs are in the uk and not outsourced. One of the reasons I won't deal with Barclays, BT etc! Its got **** all to do with work ethics and all about tax avoidanceB
  12. Why,oh why,is the Overseas Aid Budget 'ringfenced?'
  13. Keep the tree hugging, nasal hair platting & nut cutlet eating brigade onside.
  14. Why do tree huggers not want us to defend ourselves?
  15. I too am of the opinion that we are making a big mistake to ringfence the Overseas Aid Budget. As a country we are stretching ourselves in a direction we can neither afford, nor need to fulfill in the case of the OAB because of any past colonial embarrassment/altruistic attitude. The predictament the present government find themselves in having to initiate substantial cuts/savings/reorganisation across the board in order to get us back on track is indeed 'a devil's advocate' type of scenerio. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The spotlight on the defence cuts due to an additional 'theatre of operation' being opened shows an approach by ministers to reassess the difficult demands this particular sphere throws up. Maybe there will be some 'tweaking' but I would imagine that substantially nothing will change. The same can be said for the NHS primary care trusts disbandment - no U-turn just the speed with which the government wished to proceed has now slowed to a pace that is comfortable for the participants who need to be aboard.

What is predictable though is the media's adherence to making the news instead of reporting it. Sometimes their interpretation of what is actually quoted bears no resemblance to what is actually said or meant.