That cloud of radiation story....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Nov 16, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

....success Steve!

For a civvy no mark Noob you've done quite well - successfully diverting the thread onto another track, even better - one that connects with a Kremlin mouthpiece media organisation.

Read this before you fall back on Russia Today as a reliable primary source for anything more than
    ' Russian Scientists successfully predict Sunrise, Pic P.3 '

The turning point is generally agreed to have occurred in 2008, when Russia provoked the Georgian government into an attempt to recover its lost province of Ossetia and promptly responded with an invasion and occupation of parts of Georgia. RT gave Putin cover with a jingoistic campaign that denounced the Georgians as genocidal. That campaign in turn now looks like a dry run for RT’s reporting and commentary on the Ukrainian crisis, which depicted the Kiev government as bloodthirsty neo-fascists intent on ethnic cleansing etc. — while depicting actual bloodthirsty neo-fascists (and Russian soldiers) in eastern Ukraine as peace-minded democrats.

If that were all, RT would be as ineffective as Radio Moscow used to be. Simple ideological abuse alerts people that they are being manipulated. But as Peter Pomerantsev explains in his forthcoming book on modern Russia, Nothing is True and Everything is Possible, what makes RT more insidious is that it has most of the external features of legitimate western journalism:

The article goes on:

RT is an enthusiastic reporter of almost any protest against fracking anywhere, reflecting the interest of the Russian state and Gazprom in discouraging competition and keeping energy prices high. More generally, its underlying pose is that while Russia is far from perfect, the West as a whole is just as bad, and the US a great deal worse — the fountain of all bad things.

Free vodkas all round !

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. Well, SteveOmsk has slightly better skills than the drones who infest the KGB Resident account.

Still a "Russia didn't do nuffink, guv...it was really..." misdirection.
    Next comes the "Yeah, but it might have been..." false alternatives.
    Then the "But the Americans had a leak at Three Mile Island"... whataboutery.

3. That's whataboutery.I quote
    "Is the BBC a Palace of Westminster mouthpiece media organisation on a pat with RT.I think most would agree it is..."
    I think most would agree it is NOTHING OF THE SORT.
    BBC is state funded, but if it were a 'mouthpiece media' organisation like RT, most of their political reporters would have been murdered by deniable Chechens by now.
    For all it's faults, the BBC is NOT a media agitprop facade for a gangster.
    Nice try, tovarisch. 3/10.

4. From time to time we get conspiracy theorists on here who bang on incessantly about 9/11, the Royal Family, Muslims, the EU, gold, oil sales, etc. etc. We also get extreme left wing and right wing loonies who try to stir up sedition, revolution, or whatever their flavour of the day is. There's also a wind up artist known as Yars who get a special joy out of provoking people with short fuses such as Hector.

These people keep getting banned and coming back under a new user name. Some long time members of this site therefore get a bit suspicious when a new member starts posting controversial things that don't have a lot of evidence to support them.

Welcome to the site. There's a lot of people here with genuine knowledge about a lot of subjects. I would suggest stepping softly though while you're still the new boy unless you've got some pretty solid documentary evidence to support it.

My own opinion of the "radioactive cloud" story is that while the jury is still out on the exact source, it must be from a pretty narrow range of possibilities.

5. Actually, I thought it was me lighting Yars fuse.
    Eventually he runs off at the keyboard and gets ROPed.
    I consider it a public service.
    And quite fun, a bit like poking a Looney in Bedlam with a sharp stick.

6. So you see yourself as an agent provocateur then? I think your reaction is exactly what Yars is aiming for.

7. I got this from the Major Energy Users Council monthly newsletter: which is pretty well informed and monitors energy issues internationally:

* It emerged this month that in September, Russia’s meteorological agency had detected an extensive radiation cloud centred on the Mayak nuclear plant at Argayash to the east of Moscow, extending as far west as France. The cloud reportedly contains ‘exceptionally high’ levels of the radioactive isotope Ruthenium 106.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Have 5 house points for the well executed Hunt For The Red October reference.

9. NSP

NSP LE

I was thinking Chernobyl but what the heck?!

10. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

11. NSP

NSP LE

Yeah, I get it already. I've read the book, seen the movie. More than once.

Chernobyl: big glowing cloud upsetting Welsh sheep. Ring any bells...?

12. Having listened to the news today on R4 they had some block from the FT slagging off TM and then Kunsberg doing very similar ove todays Brexit news. That was followed by Trimble hinting that TM had sold NI down the river. As a mouthpiece of government the BBC are doing a very bad job and someone needs to follow the party line more closely. Or they could be a little independant.

13. MH17, simple.

14. I hope you paid your shilling.

15. Probably better here: Malaysia Airlines MH17 plane shot down in Ukraine

I doubt anyone would ignore it, just note its provenance and the previous lies, obfuscation (including supersonic hovering Frogfoot's) and disinformation that have come from the Kremlin, Russian troll farms and of course the 'useful idiots'

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 3