Thank you letter

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by wellyhead, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Are there any official guidelines to writing a thank you letter to the unit ? After a recent birth I had a number of gifts from my unit and wanted to reply in something more than cheers easy.

I am taking it I address to the OC, especially as it was from him and the rest of the unit, but do I address it just to him as the figure head or he and the rest of the Bty. Also should it be from Sgt Wellyhead, Sgt and Mrs Wellyhead, Mr and Mrs Wellyhead, Welly and the missus or The Wellyhead family ?

I'm pretty sure anything I write will be appreciated, I would just like to pay the proper compliments

Cheers

WH

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Go cheers easy - it's a happy informal thing. Well it's supposed to be but it's going to become the most expensive thing you have ever done over the next 40 years.

3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

A tasteful thank you card addressed along the lines of,

'Dear Maj X (or by his first name if you know him well), I would like to thank you and all the XX Bty/Sqn/Coy personnel for the recent gifts following the birth of my son/daughter. It was very generous of you all and most appreciated.

You may be interested to know (insert childs name) is ...insert something about your pride and joy doing very well etc

Once again thank you all for the gifts, they were unexpected but very welcome,

Yours sincerely,

(insert first name) Wellyhead.'

Or something like that. No need for other half's name on signature (but yours needs to be legible so they know who it is from !) . Get other half to hand deliver to BC/OC and he can then voice his thanks personally whilst handing over said card with a "This is from the Mrs, Sir..."

It will be appreciated and normally will do the rounds so people can see it thus making you seem polite and grateful rather than not polite and indifferent. Winners all round. I hope this helps. :D

Congratulations, by the way.

4. Cheers

Another question, should it be addressed by rank and name or appointment ?

What I mean is, my OC is the BC, do I address it BC or Maj Wibbly-wobbly

Cheers again

WH

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Congrats, Welly.

By rank and name is the answer you seek!

6. A simple Greeting style Card anouncing the birth of your new child will suffice. Keeps it informal and simple, and everyone knows what you mean. I have seen these pinned to the RHQ notice board after having been read by the CO and Razzer.