Thank you letter

#1
Sorry for asking what, for some of you will be a bone question. I need to write a thank you letter to the CO of another regiment. I've looked on EDW but it's not particularly helpful. I'm a junior Captain & I would like to know:

Hand written?
Headed paper?
Valediction?

Thank you for your help!

Boob
 
#2
Someone's got to say it...

The first thing to do is learn how to spell it (your heading refers). Yeah, sorry, I know, I'll get my coat.

On a more serious note; personally, if I am writing a letter on my own initiative I will always hand write it, if somebody else has asked me to do it, I type. The over-riding principle that I apply to staff work is, knackers to the JSP, define yourself by having your own style.
 
#5
hackle said:
"Dear Sir" from a Captain to a CO??
Almost as bad as 'Yours sincerely'. It's a CO to whom the letter is directed, not the editor of your local rag.
 
#6
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
hackle said:
"Dear Sir" from a Captain to a CO??
Almost as bad as 'Yours sincerely'. It's a CO to whom the letter is directed, not the editor of your local rag.
In case of misunderstanding, that was my point. You missed out part of my post.

Actually the JSP 101 Defence Writing Guide recommends "Yours sincerely". I don't agree with it.
 
#7
hackle said:
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
hackle said:
"Dear Sir" from a Captain to a CO??
Almost as bad as 'Yours sincerely'. It's a CO to whom the letter is directed, not the editor of your local rag.
Exactly my point. You missed out part of my post.

Actually the JSP 101 Defence Writing Guide recommends "Yours sincerely". I don't agree with it.
Hackle,

Apologies, my laziness had the effect of attributing poor style to your good self.

JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
 
#8
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
...JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
Couldnt agree more, PAW. Luckily I am no longer bound by such things! ;) Anyway, I hope someone finds our joint answer to be helpful!
 
#9
It's not an official letter, it's from me thanking him for letting me visit his regiment. What's the consensus? Hand written and Dear Colonel? If so, what is the correct valediction. I need to post it tomorrow morning!!!
 

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
Having been in that position myself last year, I wrote the letter by hand, refered to Dear Brigadier X to whom I was sending this letter and made sure that I ended in the formal but immortal I have the honour to be, etc. 3 short paragraphs - 1. Refer to event and thanks. 2. Some particular words or action of kindness they bestow is why you are grateful. 3. Final thanks and well wishing to have a return match some day.

Worked for me - no complaints and 2 happy Brigadiers, because the one in my reporting chain told me so. 2 House points to Griffindor and a small green lollipop for Mysteron.
 
#11
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
You are absolutely right that it was written by a barcode-wearer. He goes by the luminary title of SO2 DW or somesuch.
 
#12
barbs said:
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
You are absolutely right that it was written by a barcode-wearer. He goes by the luminary title of SO2 DW or somesuch.
SO2 DW? That sounds far more exciting than my next job and it would give me ample scope to practise real pedantry. Where is the Job Spec and when can I apply?

Litotes
 
#13
Litotes said:
barbs said:
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
You are absolutely right that it was written by a barcode-wearer. He goes by the luminary title of SO2 DW or somesuch.
SO2 DW? That sounds far more exciting than my next job and it would give me ample scope to practise real pedantry. Where is the Job Spec and when can I apply?

Litotes
It does mean that you have to work at the Defence Academy!
 
#16
booboo said:
It's not an official letter, it's from me thanking him for letting me visit his regiment. What's the consensus? Hand written and Dear Colonel? If so, what is the correct valediction. I need to post it tomorrow morning!!!
There is no set format and the "rules" dont matter - a quick handwritten note (A5) paper would suffice - please use a fountain pen! - Its an informal Thank you so Dear Col or Dear Col XXX (depending on how well you know him) - signed your aye is fine

Ed
 
#17
From a somewhat wrinkly practitioner of the art, I would suggest a salutation of "dear Colonel Snooks" (as I assume you don't know the fellah well enough to just go with "Dear Colonel") and conclude with anything save "Yours sincerely" - unless you really want to retrain as a bank manager. If you are of a Jock persuasion you can get away with "yours aye" but otherwise I'd commend simply "sincerely" or "yours" - ne'er the two!
 
#18
I was taught not to repeat my thanks in the final paragraph because it is redundant (tautology?) and smacks of obsequiousness. It is better to say something like "I hope I have the opportunity to return your kindness some day" or "I wish you and the regiment every success during your forthcoming deployment."
 
#19
barbs said:
Litotes said:
barbs said:
pombsen-armchair-warrior said:
JSP 101 has lost it's way. It has been written either by a civil servant, or a member of the junior Service - both organisations take an almost Stalinist approach to the bland, and rejoice in their total lack of style and originality.

PAW
You are absolutely right that it was written by a barcode-wearer. He goes by the luminary title of SO2 DW or somesuch.
SO2 DW? That sounds far more exciting than my next job and it would give me ample scope to practise real pedantry. Where is the Job Spec and when can I apply?

Litotes
It does mean that you have to work at the Defence Academy!
But I can choose my own uniform....

Litotes
 
#20
Earlier today I received a letter, albeit a 'round robin' type affair, from a senior(ish) officer. Salutation - Dear Colleagues', Valediction - 'Yours Sincerely'.

What the hell is this colleague bit all about, and where the hell has he picked it up?
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wellyhead Army Pay, Claims & JPA 5
mw14 Officers 5
T Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3

Similar threads

New Posts

Top