Thank You HarrySmith95th -Going to the TA as PSI / RSM?

Sometimes they don't even notice when you have gone though I came back from Afghanistan and one throbber went to me "where the **** have you been I needed you instructing on a weekend 2 months ago" the tit
I've had similar. Got a turbo shitagram from my then CSM requiring me to write to the OC explaining my non-attendance at his randomly 3 line whipped bone weekend, whilst on tour.

I did as requested - somthing along the lines of "Ma'am, the CSM has required me to explain why CO TF XXX will not release me from my current duties to attend a weekend....".

I've no idea what happened, but I hope it was entertaining.

What the TA needs is more dits about why they couldn't attend a weekend back when TELIC and HERRICK RSOI were as regular as Wednesday evening WHTs.

My question is has the AR moved on since the miracle of whatsapp and the close down of decent theatres? How do you motivate the guys now?

What the TA needs is more dits about why they couldn't attend a weekend back when TELIC and HERRICK RSOI were as regular as Wednesday evening WHTs.

My question is has the AR moved on since the miracle of whatsapp and the close down of decent theatres? How do you motivate the guys now?
Generally there is an influx of twats after AT again. That and chicks looking to ski and get smashed with no intent of doing any actual soldiering.

ugly

LE
What did the TA do when it was 3rd Guards Shock Army as the enemy?
Then do the same, a good and full training cycle. Its not rocket science although you may be excused for thinking that

We subsist on a diet of trade training, AT and and exercising with our paired regular regiment. It seems to keep most happy.

What did the TA do when it was 3rd Guards Shock Army as the enemy?
Then do the same, a good and full training cycle. Its not rocket science although you may be excused for thinking that
How do you ensure it's a full training cycle if you can't always have the same people turning up to every event for various reasons (work/child care etc)? Then there are the people who will only ever turn up for the good stuff and bounty qualifiers.

How do you ensure it's a full training cycle if you can't always have the same people turning up to every event for various reasons (work/child care etc)? Then there are the people who will only ever turn up for the good stuff and bounty qualifiers.
Some training absolutely has to be progressive for safety reasons, but you try to make it modular around "a weekend" and the previous few training nights. You also accept that there's going to be a certain amount of "on the job" training from the others while taking part. But then, this is how industry works as per normal, so you're not exactly surprising the reservist - just the regulars who start to drip about it not being "all in order".

Having a backstop of "background training" can also be an opportunity to get some instructional training practice where the hierarchy doesn't match exercising troops - e.g. three sections, but four section commanders. Someone missed the training night before the range weekend, and hasn't got an in-date WHT? Guess what's "Background Activity 1".

Basically, stay flexible, plan as well as you can, understand where the weaknesses and likely failures in the plan are, accept that the plan is going to go to sh!t and you'll be doing a certain amount of replanning on the hoof. You know, good practice...

Last edited:
Some training absolutely has to be progressive for safety reasons, but you try to make it modular around "a weekend" and the previous few training nights. You also accept that there's going to be a certain amount of "on the job" training from the others while taking part. But then, this is how industry works as per normal, so you're not exactly surprising the reservist - just the regulars who start to

Having a backstop of "background training" can also be an opportunity to get some instructional training practice where the hierarchy doesn't match exercising troops - e.g. three sections, but four section commanders. Someone missed the training night before the range weekend, and hasn't got an in-date WHT? Guess what's "Background Activity 1".

Basically, stay flexible, plan as well as you can, understand where the weaknesses and likely failures in the plan are, accept that the plan is going to go to sh!t and you'll be doing a certain amount of replanning on the hoof. You know, good practice...
Where does the line lie with regards to who does the planning between the permanent staff and the reservist hierarchy?

I've considered applying for PSI posts due to my previous experience in the TA pre regular service, but when I think seriously about it I am reminded that the main effort when I was in the TA was Iraq and Afghanistan. Everyone wanted to go on tour, second reason for being in was the extra money for the family holiday. How has the dynamic changed now? Are people there for the money alone? How do you sell the AR to ex regulars who could add value to the organisation but left the regular Army because there wasn't much going on?

Where does the line lie with regards to who does the planning between the permanent staff and the reservist hierarchy? In my lot 50/50 depending on who is the lead for that activity with people helping where needed, if I am planning stuff before it gets put out to the troops the PSI sanity checks it to make sure it is doable within resources allocated then we modify it if needed and the tell the troops if its the other way round I do the sanity check from the reservist side so we don't get things like MATTs weekends planned for Army Navy weekend when the whole unit had tickets or planning for people to do stuff on there wedding day

I've considered applying for PSI posts due to my previous experience in the TA pre regular service, but when I think seriously about it I am reminded that the main effort when I was in the TA was Iraq and Afghanistan. Main effort is still to get people ready to deploy just there are less opportunities, my mob have supported a fair few short term training teams this year and had a few of the dole patrol in Kenya and last year we had a sizable cloud of people go on operations Everyone wanted to go on tour, We still have loads looking for a tour of some sort second reason for being in was the extra money for the family holiday. How has the dynamic changed now? Are people there for the money alone?lots of ex regulars came in straight from the regulars for that 10 grand joining bonus most have canned it at the 4 year point or earlier with the most consistent comment from them being "I don't like working all week then being dicked about by the army at weekends" the ones that haven't are the ones that got out sorted civi street first and then come back, we also have the issue of until they put the rank cap on a lot of the 10 granders were of the wrong rank range a platoon sized amount of WO1s and WO2s at my mob all trying to avoid doing stuff other than AT and dripping about losing there weekends off How do you sell the AR to ex regulars who could add value to the organisation but left the regular Army because there wasn't much going on? The 10 grand and more AT in the last 18 months than I have seen in the entirety of the previous 23 years I have been STABing have helped plus having your twinned regular Regt in our local area and people settling in the area and still wanting to be a part of the capbadge family
My Bold

Where does the line lie with regards to who does the planning between the permanent staff and the reservist hierarchy?
As ever, it depends...

1. If you've got a good reservist hierarchy, then they should be doing the planning, and using you as an Sanity Check / Honesty Trace (and to refine the last few details / review what was achieved). Otherwise, how are they going to learn?

2. If you've got keen but inexperienced reservist hierarchy, then they should be doing the planning close to you - so that you can help them work through the problem. Again, it's all about teaching them to train, not doing it for them

3. If you've got non-attending reservist hierarchy, Tig, you're it - making sure that the lads and lasses who turn up will still receive good-enough quality training that they want to turn up. The worst crime is for the Jocks to feel that their attendance was wasted; and as a regular, if you can't show up us STABs, there's something wrong :cool:.

3.a If the non-attending hierarchy is willing, capable, but trapped at the wrong end of a 60-hour working week / family issues, then hopefully it's a temporary thing - and it should still be them giving guidance and outline plan, you acting as the Staff Officer to fill in the detail.
3.b If the hierarchy is completely absent / gapped, consider picking the senior reliable attender (doesn't matter if they're a Pte or a LCpl, so long as they're steady and sensible) and pull them into the loop as in 2...

ugly

LE
It was a problem but with a four year cycle it seemed to work, no one wanted to miss the chance of a trip to BAOR for a corps FTX, apart from me but even with platoons fielding sections in the UK 70 000 would turn up for beer and bratties.

ugly

LE
How do you sell the AR to ex regulars who could add value to the organisation but left the regular Army because there wasn't much going on?
You have to accept that the ex regs wont always fit in, some do and do very well, others try it and find it more frustrating than having to go back through basic again The Army has its own peculiar way of fu cking you off, consider an ex reg with a glowing reference, qual'd up to the eyeballs and all of the PSI's want him for his experience. Then watch his face when they cock up his pay and pay him as a grade 4 inf pte. Then wonder why he says no to the big FTX in the command position you had him down for as he has already used two weeks for spring cadres to train your troops and is now skint as you have stiffed him over the money. Ive seen the CO do a personal visit to plead for attendance and to be politely told no.
Or the 10 years in waiting for his SCBC which he has booked all work off and now is told that because he didn't attend a pre Brecon weekend at Bn Hq he can no longer go, remember that the unit didn't tell him either. Watch the ex regs face when his pln sgt wants to fail him on his WHT over the pln sgts own made up rules after only scraping through it himself the week before.
this all happens, I saw it myself. The shiny arses in Bn Hq who never see the folk they are messing around wonder why they get zero respect from the troops.
I dont know how you sell it, in my experience even the rejoining bounty gets withheld for made up reasons. The army does itself no favours, handing over responsibility to Capita and blaming it on them wont solve anything!

You have to accept that the ex regs wont always fit in, some do and do very well, others try it and find it more frustrating than having to go back through basic again The Army has its own peculiar way of fu cking you off, consider an ex reg with a glowing reference, qual'd up to the eyeballs and all of the PSI's want him for his experience. Then watch his face when they cock up his pay and pay him as a grade 4 inf pte. Then wonder why he says no to the big FTX in the command position you had him down for as he has already used two weeks for spring cadres to train your troops and is now skint as you have stiffed him over the money. Ive seen the CO do a personal visit to plead for attendance and to be politely told no.
Or the 10 years in waiting for his SCBC which he has booked all work off and now is told that because he didn't attend a pre Brecon weekend at Bn Hq he can no longer go, remember that the unit didn't tell him either. Watch the ex regs face when his pln sgt wants to fail him on his WHT over the pln sgts own made up rules after only scraping through it himself the week before.
this all happens, I saw it myself. The shiny arses in Bn Hq who never see the folk they are messing around wonder why they get zero respect from the troops.
I dont know how you sell it, in my experience even the rejoining bounty gets withheld for made up reasons. The army does itself no favours, handing over responsibility to Capita and blaming it on them wont solve anything!
Not confined to ex regs

ugly

LE
Not confined to ex regs
100% agree as the scbc candidate found out, however the question was aimed at the ex reg. The problem is the reserve doesn't understand the ex reg, he or she has already left for whatever reason and the slightest hurry up and wait becomes on of those reminders why you left.
Leaving again or doing the social hand grenade option of telling them all what you think is hardly a taboo to someone who has already stuck two fingers up at the army!

3.b If the hierarchy is completely absent / gapped, consider picking the senior reliable attender (doesn't matter if they're a Pte or a LCpl, so long as they're steady and sensible) and pull them into the loop as in 2...
F**k that. I'm a firm believer that if you want me to do the job, you promote and pay me accordingly. I wouldn't let my civvy job have my skills for free, so I don't expect the Army to either.

ugly

LE
F**k that. I'm a firm believer that if you want me to do the job, you promote and pay me accordingly. I wouldn't let my civvy job have my skills for free, so I don't expect the Army to either.
Oddly enough I feel the same in the main, however my time in Recce meant I got to do loads of spare bod LO roles which no nco's were available for. Where else could a 23 year old private get to run the Brigade ARF and have Lt's from Gds Bns report to him?

I agree with you in principle... but I did say "absent/gapped", you might as well get them started on what they'll be doing come the next promotion board. After all, playing the "I couldn't possibly help plan the training, Sergeant-Major, I'm only a Lance-Corporal" card is great if you're recruiting train drivers for the Union of Rail, Maritime, and Transport Workers, but it isn't exactly the mark of a worthwhile Volunteer.

I organised my first training weekend as a 19-year-old OCdt / Class 2 Private, because I put my hand up when they were trying to sort out an AT weekend, and none of the 2Lt / JUO types at the UOTC were willing to put in the work. Granted, my first attempt at a plan was a complete f***-up, the SSM had to give me lots of help, but I planned it and conducted it (tell you what, Crown Immunity was f***ing useful). By the time I eventually commissioned into my Battalion, I'd actually done stuff - rather than just sat in a classroom being taught the theory of it. As a Lt, I planned a joint weekend alongside a work colleague from the local Int Corps sub-unit; he was a LCpl, their OC helped him with the paperwork, and they were perfectly happy to let him run with it.

Don't stifle enthusiasm, look for ways to encourage it. After all, most reservists aren't doing it for the money (they won't do it for free, it's just not the primary motivator).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3
PartTimePongo Infantry 1
PartTimePongo ARRSE: Site Issues 0