Thank You HarrySmith95th -Going to the TA as PSI / RSM?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by abacus, Jan 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Copied in its entirety from the Seniors Forum - thread entitled Going to the TA as PSI / RSM? This might help....

If all our PSIs/RSMs took this attitude would we still have a retention problem?

2. Having served 4 years as PSI/SPSI i couldnt have put that better myself :)

3. Having served six years as an ARAB then sixteen as a STAB, I have just read the cread for being a PSI. Just outstanding.

Over the time in the TA the best PSIs where the ones that followed most of the above, they where the elite of the regular army and I still call them good friends.

My thanks to all of you.

4. msr

msr LE

"The TA attended not because of pensions, mobilisation opportunities or pay as such - they came in because they belonged to something of which they were proud and wanted to be part of it on an ongoing basis. There were highs and lows but overall, it was fun and rewarding."

msr

5. ABACUS - excellent. 10 out of 10.

6. Glad to help, guys, and thanks for the kind words.

7. As i said before in seniors - great post Harry

msr - i think your on to something there, glad to see someone in touch with the "real world"

8. And for my part, that's the biggest thing lacking these days.

It was always serious - I can recall an Ex with UKMF where we drove into Denmark and Danish civilians were on the roadside cheering us on.

Just because it's now Iraq and we're required as small formed groups as opposed to the Bn/Regt sized forces we used to go out in, doesn't lessen the training that the TA of ten/twenty years ago did.

Perhaps it's a rank thing? As we get older and gain stripes, does the fun and rewarding element fade away?

9. No. It just becomes a habit and we take everything for granted. Familiarity breeds contempt.

As you get older, you start to take more interest in how the younger members view the life. You listen particularly to the gripes and groans and feel responsible for their dissatisfaction. Despite increasing your efforts, the gripes and groans continue and you feel further disillusioned.

What you forget is that when you were in their place, you also griped and groaned and, no doubt, your seniors were put in the same position that you are now. You've forgotten the bad bits of your youth and only remember the good bits.

Stand back for five minutes. Look at the people who are moaning. Do they keep coming back for more? If they do, then their good bits must outweigh their bad bits and you've done some good. That's your reward and your reason to continue what you're doing.

10. You must be a right bounty hunter..... What you wrote is why a TA Coy can not function as a proper company would. Read it again and do it not pretend or bluff... We are at war ted......