Thank You HarrySmith95th -Going to the TA as PSI / RSM?

Copied in its entirety from the Seniors Forum - thread entitled Going to the TA as PSI / RSM? This might help....

If all our PSIs/RSMs took this attitude would we still have a retention problem?

HarrySmith95th said:
I've spent a bit of time with a TA regiment and thought that I'd pass on my views borne of experience. The idea is that it took me some time to figure this stuff out, and it may help stop some people from rocking up and acting a complete tool.

1. Remember the blokes are volunteers.
If they do not want to turn up, they wont. The usual reasons for this include pump / no training programme, rather than just a weekend of rain.

2. They are (usually ) adults.
If you treat them as incompetent tw@ts, they will rapidly lose interest and act as incompetent tw@ts. Treat them as grownups: they may well be better educated than you and some of them will hold very, very responsible jobs. The Jock you are looking at might earn more than your CO. The average age of the TA squaddie is older than that of the Regs, so they have seen a bit more of life and can spot a bullshitter very quickly.

3. You are there to advise.
You have the Regular service, they are ( generally ) willing listeners ready and keen to learn. There is a fine line between advising and taking over - its their train set: help out when you can but do not take over - the JNCOs / SNCOs will just resent it.

4. You will get the results you deserve.
Generally, unless the TM / OC is a complete tool stomping on your creative training ideas.

5. Keep the chain of command informed.
They have jobs outside of the TA - they need to plan ahead. Email / text can be very, very useful within security limitations.

6. Their civilian job comes first.
Thats the way it is. You will not change it: accept it.

7. They may not be as fit as a Regular unit.
Exceptions of course, but on the whole they do not have time for programmed phys monday to friday - unlike you.

8. Maintain your standards.
If you swan off & getting fat and lazy they will notice. Be an example in your appearance and conduct - you are their main point of contact with the Regular Army.

9. ENSURE their course bids get submitted - and they know what courses they can do.
Vital.

10. If they have a Dining Out / Dinner Night and you are not invited
Thats a Combat Indicator that they dont like you. And that is your fault.

11. They will have their own traditions - respect them. Do not try to impose *your* regimental traditions on them. If Seniors call each other by their first names, thats the way it is.

12. You will be there for two years
And then you will be gone. Remember that, they will.

13. Enjoy it.

13. Remember the blokes are volunteers.

Having served six years as an ARAB then sixteen as a STAB, I have just read the cread for being a PSI. Just outstanding.

Over the time in the TA the best PSIs where the ones that followed most of the above, they where the elite of the regular army and I still call them good friends.

My thanks to all of you.

"The TA attended not because of pensions, mobilisation opportunities or pay as such - they came in because they belonged to something of which they were proud and wanted to be part of it on an ongoing basis. There were highs and lows but overall, it was fun and rewarding."

msr

As i said before in seniors - great post Harry

msr - i think your on to something there, glad to see someone in touch with the "real world"

msr said:
"The TA attended not because of pensions, mobilisation opportunities or pay as such - they came in because they belonged to something of which they were proud and wanted to be part of it on an ongoing basis. There were highs and lows but overall, it was fun and rewarding."

msr
And for my part, that's the biggest thing lacking these days.

It was always serious - I can recall an Ex with UKMF where we drove into Denmark and Danish civilians were on the roadside cheering us on.

Just because it's now Iraq and we're required as small formed groups as opposed to the Bn/Regt sized forces we used to go out in, doesn't lessen the training that the TA of ten/twenty years ago did.

Perhaps it's a rank thing? As we get older and gain stripes, does the fun and rewarding element fade away?

No. It just becomes a habit and we take everything for granted. Familiarity breeds contempt.

As you get older, you start to take more interest in how the younger members view the life. You listen particularly to the gripes and groans and feel responsible for their dissatisfaction. Despite increasing your efforts, the gripes and groans continue and you feel further disillusioned.

What you forget is that when you were in their place, you also griped and groaned and, no doubt, your seniors were put in the same position that you are now. You've forgotten the bad bits of your youth and only remember the good bits.

Stand back for five minutes. Look at the people who are moaning. Do they keep coming back for more? If they do, then their good bits must outweigh their bad bits and you've done some good. That's your reward and your reason to continue what you're doing.

You must be a right bounty hunter..... What you wrote is why a TA Coy can not function as a proper company would. Read it again and do it not pretend or bluff... We are at war ted......

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman
Sounds like this thread may be worth bearing in mind
Certainly a lot more f*ckery going around at the moment. Got asked 6 times why I hadn't/why I couldn't do a CLM as a priority. Some people just don't understand that work comes first and always will. If a course with the Army runs during that time then hard cheese - TA pay doesn't put food on the table for the family.

Certainly a lot more f*ckery going around at the moment. Got asked 6 times why I hadn't/why I couldn't do a CLM as a priority. Some people just don't understand that work comes first and always will. If a course with the Army runs during that time then hard cheese - TA pay doesn't put food on the table for the family.
I think some regulars confused "One army" with the idea that reservists can be f*****d about like regulars and they will still turn up because they have no other option.

I think some regulars confused "One army" with the idea that reservists can be f*****d about like regulars and they will still turn up because they have no other option.
I do recall the Regular Bn befuddlement when they advised their paired AR Bn that the dates for the trip to Kenya where being changed by only two weeks. This was done very close to the original dates.

They did seem surprised when a notable %age of the Reservists told them they now couldn't go away with them.

Edit: and as for the crusty old WO2 being criticised for "Lack of commitment" on his OJAR... Following his return from Afghanistan...

Last edited:
as for the crusty old WO2 being criticised for "Lack of commitment" on his OJAR... Following his return from Afghanistan...
something similar happened to me in 2007 came back from 7 and half months in Iraq with the best report I have ever had (it was an awesome work of fiction) had my CR/SJAR after my leave and it had the line "has had a poor year attendance wise" in it

I do recall the Regular Bn befuddlement when they advised their paired AR Bn that the dates for the trip to Kenya where being changed by only two weeks. This was done very close to the original dates.

They did seem surprised when a notable %age of the Reservists told them they now couldn't go away with them.

Edit: and as for the crusty old WO2 being criticised for "Lack of commitment" on his OJAR... Following his return from Afghanistan...
Of course you meant..... SJAR

Last edited:

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
something similar happened to me in 2007 came back from 7 and half months in Iraq with the best report I have ever had (it was an awesome work of fiction) had my CR/SJAR after my leave and it had the line "has had a poor year attendance wise" in it
I had almost identical on return from Kosovo. Also suggestion was about time I went on my PJNCO cadre . . . to which I had great delight in informing the idiot of an OC that I had already done so (before going to Kosovo, hence my "low attendance" that year) and had a recommend to promote.

That OC was about as much use as tits on a fish, and looked by Worzel Gummidge, after Worzel had woken up with bedhead ... .