Thames Valley Police Firearms unit cock up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pielover, Sep 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why do the plod need a .44 FFS

2. Suppose the Army has never mixed live and blank rounds. Just sad really.........

3. Dummy (drill rounds) not blanks, surely. How could you mistake a blank round for a live one?

IIRC drill rounds have an indent in the side of the case?

4. He was a qualified instructor?

Was he on medication? Is he mentally ill? Is there any other explanation for this incident?

5. The policeman denied he had done anything wrong.

How about not checking the ammo to be used was drill rounds.

What about the old rule "never point a gun at any one - loaded or not"

As the Instructor it was his responsibility to follow all the normal safety protocols.

In the past I've had some dealings with various police firearms units, some were very worrying.

6. Everyone Knows you keep the live rounds in the ROSES tin!!

7. Seeing as no one is up for shooting Mark Saunders this will probably go the same way :x

8. I was hanging around Downing street last month when one of the CO6 blokes dropped his weapon out the back of his vehicle. The mag came off and 2 rounds ended up in the gutter.

One of his colleague had only just been telling me about a female CO6 who had left her Glock in the khazi at Starbucks.

9. Precisely, one wonders how a supposed "Firearms Instructor" could manage not to know the difference between a live round and a drill round? And what kind of an instructor points the weapon at his stidents? :roll: :roll:
    Drill SAA IIRC, had white metal casings instead of brass, were indented along the case and had no percussion cap, the recess for it being painted Red?
    Note the bit about the differences in handling drills between Thames Valley Police and the Met. Typical, there isn't even a common standard throughout the various Forces, something I've heard a number of ex-servicemen in the Police complaining about. What's needed IMHO, is a few former SASC WO's to develop the appropriate handling drills for the weapons in service and for this to be standardised throughout all UK forces.

10. A good idea.
    However unless they were to actually join the relevant Police forces they would effectively be civilian Firearms instructors and as such would be a very unpopular breed. Or so I understand.

11. From the article, I think this says it all. Muppets.

12. I think 'cock up' is a bit of an understatement. The bloke who got shot could easily have died, and was in hospital for 22 days. He has also lost his career I presume, as I cant see him being able to work again.

13. Unpopular or not a simple solution would be to tell the firearms officers if they instructors do not pass them then they lose their job. :wink:

14. Deleted

(Edited for being blind and stupid)