Thais buy Mi-17s at 5 million quid a pop

#1
Thailand has decided to order six Mi-17s for its army according to Flight International. They chose it over the Blackhawk, and not surprisingly - it carries 30 men, not 13, and comes in at about 9 million bucks a pop, instead of 30 million.
Now, THAT'S Smart procurement. Can Britain (annual defence spending about 50 billion dollars) really not afford to buy 50 or 60 of these, so the blokes can get round in Afghanistan?
 
#2
Maybe one of our crab or teeny weeny airways posters can confirm, but I understand that

1) They would not meet UK air worthiness criteria and

2) The MOD would not like to be beholden to Russia for training, spares, updates etc.
 
#3
codbutt said:
Thailand has decided to order six Mi-17s for its army according to Flight International. They chose it over the Blackhawk, and not surprisingly - it carries 30 men, not 13, and comes in at about 9 million bucks a pop, instead of 30 million.
Now, THAT'S Smart procurement. Can Britain (annual defence spending about 50 billion dollars) really not afford to buy 50 or 60 of these, so the blokes can get round in Afghanistan?
Would we really need 50-60? We could just get them to make us look good, or flying 60 of them over helmand would shite up the tali wouldn't it, but i surpose that they would wip out their RPG...so maybe not, all in all, the MoD are :safe:
 
#4
The RAF have gut two at Boscombe down, under trials bought them from Bulgariia through lithuanian companyse serial Nos zb 697 698 deliverd in august by c17.
 
#6
Thai's have had a bad deal then! refurbished Mi-18(Mi-17's) currently come in at around $2.75 Mill/Each!
 
#7
tropper66 said:
The RAF have gut two at Boscombe down, under trials bought them from Bulgariia through lithuanian companyse serial Nos zb 697 698 deliverd in august by c17.
What's the purpose of the trials out of interest? :?
 
#8
In reply to Toastie's reply:

Yes, maybe they wouldn't be compatible with UK airworthiness requirements, but why not? These things are used all over the world, in a much wider range of conditions than those found in UK. The instruments and avionics etc could be fitted to comply. Plenty of NATO countries fly them.

And it would be hard for the Russians to suddenly stop us flying these things - there are Mi-17 spares EVERYWHERE. At this price, you could buy an extra ten and just use them for bits!

India, sensibly, ordered 80 of the beasts two years ago for about $8 mil a pop.
 
#9
No expert codbutt. As I said, we need someone who knows about these things to explain in greater detail.
 
#10
Ahhh but I bet it dont got no Sunroof fitted as standard.
 
#11
Air force monthly october, "Sources have told AFM tha joint helicopter command and uk special forces will operate a small fleet of hips to bolster the rotary wing fleet in operations" praps they wiil replace the old argi agustas in 8 flight
 
#12
I think the main problem is that no UK politician, senior civil servant, or soon-to-be-retired Senior Rupert will be able to stick their snouts firmly in the trough. If its value for the taxpayer, it's bad news for those seeking to profit from our tax dollars.

Cynical, Moi? And so young.... :roll:
 
#13
tropper66 said:
Air force monthly october, "Sources have told AFM tha joint helicopter command and uk special forces will operate a small fleet of hips to bolster the rotary wing fleet in operations" praps they wiil replace the old argi agustas in 8 flight
AFAIK those have already been replaced with I think a Eurocopter model, maybe the EC635.
 
#14
as an ex chopper jocky sioux,and gazeleI have flown in a hip it is like their tanks cheap and chearful but it works we used one when I was working for consgold in Angola
 
#16
Once we've finally left Iraq then I presume that they could send more assets to the 'stan. Merlins I presume? it's all well and good buying a job load of dodgy ex-russian chopers, but who is going to fly them? As with all things, it's going to come down to £££
 
#17
Hi yeh I'd like a number 4 with thai sauce
a number27 with the pork belly and 12 MI-17's with bowl of rice please. 8O
 
#18
When you think that 67 apaches cost 3billion thats 40 million a pop about 20 mill more than worth. just to keep WAgusta from closing their yovil plant the mil sound pretty good value
 
#19
Just a little naive procurement type question:

Why, if you can buy a four seater kit helicopter (rotorway exec 162F) secondhand for a little over £25,000, does the Mi-17/Mi-12m cost eight MILLION squid? What is it that costs the money? Is there a million poundsworth of engine for example, or a million poundsworth of alloy in the airframe? Surely even the total sum of the cockpit instruments can't come to more than a million, surely?I can understand why Apache might cost a bomb, but the MI-12m is hardly a flying ferrarri is it?

What is it that makes helicopters cost millions instead of tens of or even a couple of hundred thousand?
 
#20
Squiddly said:
Just a little naive procurement type question:

Why, if you can buy a four seater kit helicopter (rotorway exec 162F) secondhand for a little over £25,000, does the Mi-17/Mi-12m cost eight MILLION squid? What is it that costs the money? Is there a million poundsworth of engine for example, or a million poundsworth of alloy in the airframe? Surely even the total sum of the cockpit instruments can't come to more than a million, surely?I can understand why Apache might cost a bomb, but the MI-12m is hardly a flying ferrarri is it?

What is it that makes helicopters cost millions instead of tens of or even a couple of hundred thousand?
I'd be guessing, but I imagine the cost includes spare parts and ancils.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top