Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam Holiday

We're flying out on it next Saturday - will let you know in a couple of weeks how we get on. It looks quite hectic - couple of days in Bangkok then fly over to Siem Riep, 4 days then bus to Phnom Penh, next day bus to Saigon, 2 days then fly to Hanoi, 2 day Hailong Bay cruise then the rest of the time in Hanoi and fly back. We are both looking forward to it. One thing to remember, is that the final price depends on the flight you take (price based on flying China Southern which involved an overnighter in the terminal at Guangdo). We paid a bit more because we are flying Emirates with minimum transfer time, more importantly it had to be from Gatwick.

I've lived and worked in all three places. Siem Reap's a nice town and four days is ok. Avoid some of the more stupid traps. Don't bother with the 'Angkor Wat at Sunrise'. It's facing in the wrong direction. Start VERY early in the morning and aim to do Angkor Wat last. Do some of the smaller temples first as Angkor Wat is the world's largest religious building and everything else will seem an anti climax. Be warned the taxi and Tuktuk drivers are all on autopilot and will want to take you there first. Go to Ta Phrom temple first and go early before the Koreans arrive in Company Group strength.

It's hot. Real hot. Damned hot. Hotter than a snake's arse in a wagon rut.

And it's the rainy season right now, which is another reason to start the temple tour at sparrow fart and end with Angkor Wat around lunch which is when all the Koreans head back to their hotels for scoff. knock it on the head in the early afternoon before the rains come.

Oh, and be sure to visit the Landmine Museum, I think it's open again. They had a little fire last month.

I've lived and worked in all three places. Siem Reap's a nice town and four days is ok. Avoid some of the more stupid traps. Don't bother with the 'Angkor Wat at Sunrise'. It's facing in the wrong direction. Start VERY early in the morning and aim to do Angkor Wat last. Do some of the smaller temples first as Angkor Wat is the world's largest religious building and everything else will seem an anti climax. Be warned the taxi and Tuktuk drivers are all on autopilot and will want to take you there first. Go to Ta Phrom temple first and go early before the Koreans arrive in Company Group strength.

It's hot. Real hot. Damned hot. Hotter than a snake's arse in a wagon rut.

And it's the rainy season right now, which is another reason to start the temple tour at sparrow fart and end with Angkor Wat around lunch which is when all the Koreans head back to their hotels for scoff. knock it on the head in the early afternoon before the rains come.

Oh, and be sure to visit the Landmine Museum, I think it's open again. They had a little fire last month.
Do you work in UXO?