Thai land mine clearance?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by expat_71, Apr 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last night on the news there was a section on Thai mine clearance on the border with Cambodia.

Please take into account that I have no concept of mine fields or mine clearance, but the video footage of them working showed a soldier with a riot type visor/helmet and a dog on a 5 foot lead.

I am sure the video must have been misleading , but the dog was sniffing/looking for the mines and then sitting down when one was found.

Is that normal?
  2. yes mate, dogs can smell explosives, their not used as much as a prodder though!
  3. No, it's not normal. Dogs usually sniff butts, hump legs and lick their balls, that's normal.
  4. Thanks for that ,I think.
    Yes I am aware that dogs can smell explosives.
    It's just the dog was walking around in circles and standing on the mine.
    I guess you had to see for yourself ,it looked to me like a comedy sketch.
    Personally I would have had a much longer lead.
  5. My personal favorite having witnessed Bangladeshis’ on two dollars a day advancing in line with bamboo canes after 6 hours training, is that airship with ground penetrating radar – every mine detected gets an exact GPS location. I believe its on trial in Angola, marvelous.
  6. This may sound really naive, but can a type of flail tanks like the ones they used to clear the D-Day beaches, be used?

Surely if there's a field that's known to be littered with mines, then couldn't one of these tanks drive up and down until they all went off.

Although, I suppose you wouldn't ever know if you'd got them all, unless you sent out a couple of Bangladeshis with bamboo sticks to check.

It's allright, I know exactly where I left my coat, but thanks anyway!
  7. The problem with mines is that they are laid on all types of terrain and in fecking difficult locations. Unfortunately, the one Golf Club approach doesn't work and a variety of detection and disposal methods are needed.