Thai bride scam...

I remember reading a while ago about the scam whereby middle aged English blokes get married to attractive young Thai brides, as part of a long scam.

I've recently noted an old mate of mine seems to have fallen into this very demographic; he's nice enough but no Brad Pitt, and she has him hook, line and sinker.

She looks to be a fair bit younger, and rather easy on the eye.

I recall mention of one combat indicator of the scam - get married, get UK residency, then get divorced and fleece him - is the visit of a "brother" from Thailand.

While there has been no "brother", I note that her "father" has recently made a visit. This has worried me.

Anyone else aware of this? If she is already married in Thailand, presumably her UK wedding is void - but how can that be proven?

( No, its not me, you cheekies)

I remember reading a while ago about the scam whereby middle aged English blokes get married to attractive young Thai brides, as part of a long scam.

I've recently noted an old mate of mine seems to have fallen into this very demographic; he's nice enough but no Brad Pitt, and she has him hook, line and sinker.

I recall mention of one combat indicator of the scam - get married, get UK residency, then get divorced and fleece him - is the visit of a "brother" from Thailand.

While there has been no "brother", I note that her "father" has recently made a visit. This has worried me.

Anyone else aware of this? If she is already married in Thailand, presumably her UK wedding is void - but how can that be proven?

Ditch her.

endure

GCM
How did he meet her? Doing a course at Chulalongkorn University or sliding up and down a pole in Soi Cowboy?

Sticking on my work head - it could be very difficult.

Thailand ain’t my field - but they should hold a registry of marriages. Although maybe not (there are some on here who live out there, I am sure they could advise better).

Best bet would be social media if you are going down the casual stalking route. After that, find tenancy agreements, bank statements, payslips. See if the ten agg and statements are joint.

Find out her background, where she works, do some deep digging to see if it all matches up to what she says.

The officialdom route is very difficult to go down and there are limitations to what you can find out - despite what the conspiraloons say the government has very little ability to find things out.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Your 'mate' as a grown up, is able to make his own mistakes. Ugly blokes need cuddles to!

endure

GCM
Is she in the UK? Has her 'father' visited her in the UK? It's not too easy to get a tourist visa unless he can prove he's going to return to Thailand which involves providing UK Immigration with proof of bank accounts/ jobs in Thailand that he's going to return to.

There's a gov't website where you can report customs & immigration issues. Someone getting a visa on the basis of being legally married might come under that.

The Guardian had 'elder abuse' marriage scams a while back. will see if i can find it. There was a particular bit about isolating the (older partner) from family, partner getting a power of attourney behind the family's back etc.

Is she in the UK? Has her 'father' visited her in the UK? It's not too easy to get a tourist visa unless he can prove he's going to return to Thailand which involves providing UK Immigration with proof of bank accounts/ jobs in Thailand that he's going to return to.
Yep, she's shacked up with him in England. Looks like they're actually married, too.

I've got no issues with an old mate going balls deep in a hottie, but I'm more worried about him getting rinsed in a sudden, short notice divorce.

Image1.jpg

endure

GCM
Yep, she's shacked up with him in England. Looks like they're actually married, too.

I've got no issues with an old mate going balls deep in a hottie, but I'm more worried about him getting rinsed in a sudden, short notice divorce.
Do you know what kind of visa she has?

Easier ways to get to UK.........
wewew.jpg

One of those things I was told by a family member who dealt with these things at the Home Office was that (a) In many cases, the HO knew more about the bride's background and previous applications with other UK men, and (b) They weren't allowed to pass this onto the groom.

This led to unpleasant scenes where the UK government were the epitome of evil, putting all sorts of hurdles in the way of the couple's happiness and the poor bride and groom were the victims of racism and Lord knows what.
Fast forward a bit when after bride has been given permission to settle after all sorts of pleas to DM readers and pressure from MPs, she legs it, or otherwise takes the husband to the cleaners, the irate grooms turns on the Home Office, accusing them of all sorts of negligence and demands the wife be deported back home.
As might be imagined, little sympathy is then shown by the Home Office not even a "we told you so"

Of course, I'm sure that this doesn't apply to all brides from the Far East, indeed many mixed couples have gone on to have very successful marriages and, at least in part due to the Asian work ethic have produced well educated children.

The other side of the coin is that sometimes (maybe often) it's the bride who ends up getting the rough end of the deal.

He has my sympathy, but at the same time he is an adult and responsible for his own decisions. What did he think her motivation was for marrying him? Same goes for all these guys that hook up with Far Eastern beauties, or young beautiful women from other parts of the world, via the internet. They’re not interested in you for your excellent taste in carpet slippers and encyclopaedic knowledge of the Great Western Railway’s broad gauge system. I’m amazed that after all this time since the internet was a thing there are still vast numbers of gullible idiots who don’t give these matters a second thought before committing themselves to a marriage and the possible future jurisdiction of the English divorce courts.

endure

GCM
He has my sympathy, but at the same time he is an adult and responsible for his own decisions. What did he think her motivation was for marrying him? Same goes for all these guys that hook up with Far Eastern beauties, or young beautiful women from other parts of the world, via the internet. They’re not interested in you for your excellent taste in carpet slippers and encyclopaedic knowledge of the Great Western Railway’s broad gauge system. I’m amazed that after all this time since the internet was a thing there are still vast numbers of gullible idiots who don’t give these matters a second thought before committing themselves to a marriage and the possible future jurisdiction of the English divorce courts.
And yet I know of a number of successful (ie 30+ year) marriages between Thai women and British men.

And yet I know of a number of successful (ie 30+ year) marriages between Thai women and British men.
True. But it would be interesting to see the statistics on how many 30+ year marriages there are compared to how many of less than 30 months.

I have no knowledge of the numbers, and I am making assumptions based on my own observations, so entirely anecdotal.

I’m amazed that after all this time since the internet was a thing there are still vast numbers of gullible idiots who don’t give these matters a second thought before committing themselves to a marriage and the possible future jurisdiction of the English divorce courts.

The equivalent is the wrinkly, late middle aged British women weeping on Loose Women, who became engaged to house boys from Malawi or hotel barmen from Algeria. It always seems to come as a huge surprise to them when 'Abdul' disappears along with said woman's life savings, which she has lent him so that he can get essential medical treatment for his aged grandmother.

The equivalent is the wrinkly, late middle aged British women weeping on Loose Women, who became engaged to house boys from Malawi or hotel barmen from Algeria. It always seems to come as a huge surprise to them when 'Abdul' disappears along with said woman's life savings, which she has lent him so that he can get essential medical treatment for his aged grandmother.
Yep, no fool like an old fool, doesn't matter the gender.

Latest Threads