Tha Bliar Rich Project

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, May 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst I am glad to see him go, the gross smugness of the pair of them is easily explained:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6641661.stm

"Once he leaves Number 10, Tony Blair is entitled to an immediate prime minister's pension of £63,000 and he will still earn a MP's salary of £60,000.

Added to this, Cherie Blair, as a leading QC, is estimated to earn a six-figure salary."

"However, the Money Programme has calculated the Blairs could make £10.5m in the next 12 months. "

What a world.

2. I wonder how much of it he'll be giving to Combat Stress?

I don't care if it's an anonymous donation either.

3. No chance of Glasgow being used to administer his future income is there?

4. Wonder how much he will pay for a knighthood?

5. I'd wager that he'll set up a company in a Caribbean tax haven then spend most of his time outside the UK (Cherie has been house hunting in New York).

This will let him avoid the taxes that he has imposed on the rest of us.

6. They're looking for a house in the USA because the only cnuts thick enough to pay out up to £40m for Tone's reminiscences and bon-mots are the septics.

7. It is convention that a peerage is offered by HM within a short space.

Winston took a K so as to remain in Pthe Commons, as did Major, Maggie got a Baronetcy for Denis for the same purpose - and to recognise his contribution

Not sure what 'call me Tone' will do, and the effect on Cherie - who is reputed to loathe titles (for others) - will be 'interesting'

8. It is convention that a peerage is offered by HM within a short space.

Winston took a K so as to remain in Pthe Commons, as did Major, Maggie got a Baronetcy for Denis for the same purpose - and to recognise his contribution

Not sure what 'call me Tone' will do, and the effect on Cherie - who is reputed to loathe titles (for others) - will be 'interesting'.

At this point Clement Freud & Paul Merton buzz in for repetition

9. Sickening :x

10. Unfortunately there is a precedent for appointment to the Order of the Garter (Maggie, Major, Ted Heath, James Callaghan). I rather hope he isn't allowed to sully our most prestigious order of knighthood with his presence; I like to think HM considers him to be as unctuous as the rest of us do.

11. Why would he do that? He doesn't have combat stress and so why try and help those with it?

As for a title, he's done his level best to rid the country of any so it would be a bit galling if snapped one up. Although I guess he'd rip your arm off for a K or a life peerage.

12. As opposed to the only cnuts thick enough to employ him as PM? :D

13. I suppose there'd be a certain irony if HMQ gave him an hereditary peerage so he could be abolished in the next set of reforms.

14. Good point, except only 22% of the electorate voted Labour last time. Kinda sickening that really.

To paraphrase a proper PM "Never in the field of British politics has so much damage been done by so few voters, in so little time"

Actually Blair would have done well to heed many things the great man said:

"One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary War'." Oh, the irony.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." When was the last time Blair actually listened to anybody?

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."

"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire"

But possibly most important in my opinion:

"Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."

All from the big man. A truly great Prime Minister. Would it have been so hard for Blair to have heeded a few of his words of wisdom?
    Why cant we breed another wise, dedicated, selfless PM in Britain rather than this jumped up smooth talking lawyer who cares nothing but for his own personal ambition and legacy? Brown is certainly not the answer.

15. That, alas, in the entitlement of every ex-PM. As is a Life Peerage, which he'll probably take, to be near all the pals he's ennobled.

I'd actually not be surprised if the canute took a hereditary title of some kind. Perhaps a baronetcy, as Maggie T. gave Dennis. Thereby ensuring his eldest surviving son will inherit . . . . . :x

Look on the bright side, though. Tone and Cherie adore the super-rich -- but will never, ever be in that category themselves. Consequently they will be freeloaders eaten up with envy for the remainder of their miserable lives . . . .

Satisfying thought. :D