Text Speak

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by STAR123, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where does this come from?? I'm only 21 and I don't have a clue what some of the posts on here say!! Are they teaching it at GCSE now??!!

2. lol u r old b4 ur time.

3. FFS GAL LOL

4. U R having a LOL M8

5. FAIL THREAD

6. Gt a fkg life. I H8 txt spk n thk al u fkrs tht use it shuld b klld slwly.

7. Aww I give up I'm obviously old before my time and will just use www.netlingo.com to translate!

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I was reading the telegraph a few months back and it seems that marking bodies and teachers are now in fact accepting shortened 'txt' versions of common words, in many cases making sentence composition and structure null and void to the layman. Obviously these teachers are used to such spelling, and can decipher it, but it is in fact is creating a sub (emphasis on the 'below/lower' part of that) class of person, who is by large unable to communicate with the masses as a whole.

9. I used to get the small child to translate texts for me, now I'm fluent. But that's a bad thing, specially when writing business cases (for example) and you find yourself typing:

pls cn i av sum mny 2 by stuf? ty

(and then the boss replies with "wtf?" :D )

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Now THAT'S a good one.

I've never seen it written, but I knew instantly what it meant! :D

11. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

12. Language is an evolutionary process! If the english language never twisted and adapted we would still be saying 'forsooth' rather than 'innit' (although this does still wind me up, probably as much as it did some people in the 16th century). Text speak makes it easier for people to communicate, or at least those in the know, and simplifies short messages, emails and a whole host of other modern media. Don't fret about the corruption of our lovely language, it has been corrupting quite nicely for quite a few centuries now.......

Forsooth, its gd 2 tlk.

13. As was said in a film...

"So we have gone from 'I regret that I have only one life to lay down for my country' to 'Fcuk you, arsehole' or should that be Fk U, Azol.

14. me m8 mike golden tort me how 2 txt innit