Text of PMs interview on West Country TV - Thu 12 Jan 07

#1
I didn't see this live interview but the Defence Intranet is carrying the transcript - see the front page for those connected to the RLI!

For those outside the firewall, I found the transcript here:

Transcript of interview from another board

I think the transcript was made by someone without any knowledge of the South West listening to the transmission on a shortwave radio!!!

It is interesting how Michael Rose is stonewalled by the PM!

Litotes
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#2
In case anyone else can't get to the text from the link (I couldn't, sadly) an extract gives the flavour. It is regarding Reserves, following a question from Dermot O'Donovan, a former TA and RN Officer:

PM -
"I spoke to many of those in the Territorials when I was out in Iraq recently. I have to say to you again, although I am quite sure there are a lot of issues, indeed they mentioned it to me, some of those that were serving there. Again I have to say, there is a conflict between the morale you find when you actually talk to people who are out in Iraq or Afghanistan and the reports you get. And actually the employers for example I think also recognise the tremendous contribution they make, and we are looking at what additional support we give to the Territorials, but the people that I talked to out there enjoy it tremendously, find it incredibly motivating and are doing a fantastic job incidentally.”

So there you have it – and after a couple of reads I think I almost understand what he said!

The other good bit is the exchange between him and the Justin Smith, the poor bugger medically discharged with PTSD and suffering as a result of insufficient support, but that's been reported in other threads.
 
#3
Litotes said:
I think the transcript was made by someone without any knowledge of the South West listening to the transmission on a shortwave radio!!!
No. It was made by someone at MoD Oracle and then lifted by the Indian chappie you refer to... See here
 
#4
merkator said:
Litotes said:
I think the transcript was made by someone without any knowledge of the South West listening to the transmission on a shortwave radio!!!
No. It was made by someone at MoD Oracle and then lifted by the Indian chappie you refer to... See here
In which case the spelling and grammatical errors are unforgiveable! How much do we pay these people?

St Morgan? Where is that precisely? I decided to provide the RAF link but it's raining, so the RAF have shut down! Another link is here:

Wiki - RAF St Mawgan

Litotes
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#6
EX_STAB said:
Even reading Bliars words is enought to make you cringe.
er...unlike this - which is pretty fckuing crystal:


Prime Minister, when President Bush declared war on global terror in 2001 he added massively to his defence budget.

Since that time the American Army’s budget has gone from $67 billion to $111 billion per year.

He put his money where his mouth was, in a nutshell.

You have done exactly the reverse, you have under-resourced defence, you have cut defence over that period of time, you have been trying to fight a war on two fronts, the consequences of that on training, on equipment and on the personnel aspects of the Armed Forces has been catastrophic.

Good root Herr General ! :judge:
 
#7
Goatman said:
EX_STAB said:
Even reading Bliars words is enought to make you cringe.
er...unlike this - which is pretty fckuing crystal:


Prime Minister, when President Bush declared war on global terror in 2001 he added massively to his defence budget.

Since that time the American Army’s budget has gone from $67 billion to $111 billion per year.

He put his money where his mouth was, in a nutshell.

You have done exactly the reverse, you have under-resourced defence, you have cut defence over that period of time, you have been trying to fight a war on two fronts, the consequences of that on training, on equipment and on the personnel aspects of the Armed Forces has been catastrophic.


Good root Herr General ! :judge:
Indeed.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads