Text Message offering me compensation

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dropshortjock, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, good news! I've just received a text saying that I am entitled to £1750 compensation from an old accident. All I have to do is text back CLAIM to the number.

Question - this message came from a mobile number as opposed to an 0870 number (I have opted out of the unsolicited messages thing). If I text STOP, will they also rinse me for more money from my phone bill or should I just ignore it? Or should I call them from a land line and tell them to fcuk off?

I know this is the Naafi but it did not seem appropriate for any of the other more serious forums. Any ideas or people who have an idea to stop it in an effective (and highly amusing) manner - let me know. Thanks
  2. Ignore it. It sounds like a bit of a con to be honest. Hang on, did you have an old accident?
  3. I did have an accident but not one that I've reported outside of my solicitor. My sister and father have also had this text message.
  4. Bound to be a scam of some sorts then. I don't get them. I just get the one's with 'girls' offering to flash your their knockers for £3 a minute.
  5. suggest you go to the following for advice

I appreciate they are not directly directly related, but they may help
  6. Much classier! I was thinking of calling them from a payphone just to see what happens next. Or publishing their number online...
  7. Text it back and it will probably cost you an arm and a leg for the privilege, no doubt this will be a premium rate number that you will be texting, I don't know how the scam works but I saw something similar a while ago on the news.

No doubt a random text and there's got to be millions of people who have had "old accidents" so if they send this out to thousands of numbers they are going to always get some mug who will text it back. Delete it and forget about it.
  8. Yeah...now I come to think of this I've had two 'old accidents'(according to Mrs Walt)....20/22 respectively, at university(supposedly) as we 'speak'...still paying the price...am I entitled to compensation..??
  9. Yes.... I had several 'accidents' in ma breaks on the way back from 'Ye Barf n Buket' after indulging in several yards of Mine Host's 'Old Bob Ale and Whiskey Pie'........ I must be in fer sum kompenshayshun...... :oops: :oops: :?
  10. I had a text the other day saying I had won XYZ from Sanyo. I googled the number and it came up as a hoax- strange that! It asked me to reply etc and if I had it would have cost me £7. Funny thing was it came from the UK but got me on my local phone here.
  11. Pass it onto a scouser....they'll be on it like a tramp on chips.
  12. Now that's more fun! 8O
  13. Put the phone number into google search or similar and see what comes up.
  14. its a new tactic, have you not received any of the debt solving ones from a mobile number either? Just ignore it.