Texas Funeral

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stick_Knave, Jul 29, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm normally one of the first to say whenever our transatlantic breatheren fcuk up.

But I have to say this time, they might just have got it right! 8O

http://www.flssar.org/texfu/texfu.htm

But I'm sure this will all change when Bla1r gets in on the Hill.

clearly there was no government policy, marketing opportunity or legislation involved

2. Now THAT is truly the way to respect your Servicemen and Women :!:

3. Certainly is.....but I'd rather be alive and badmouthed than dead and respected :wink:

4. Agree with ya there Ma and you know I am no big fan of the sceptics, but ****ing hats off to em for that.

5. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Seems the SPAMs have at least got their priorities right on some things.

6. B**ger all chance of that happeining in the UK. Mourners would be more likely to be banned from the local pub for being squaddies. :(

7. Aren't we being just a tad cynical here. The way the lads were brought back to brize was done just right, with live coverage on BBC and ITV. I saw extensive regional tv coverage of the funeral of one of the lads in his local church. Full military honours, an enormous congregation and hundreds of spectators.

The Brits have never gone for the Gung-ho patriotism of the Yanks, but I recon we have done the guys proud.

Sermon over

8. The trouble with that is that when they are recieving their 4th or 5th Dead Squaddie in a couple of years time you can bet your bottom dollar that most of them won't be crowbarred out of McDonalds.

I much prefer the low profile thing we do. In fact I am a fan of being buried out there. Let my folks by a park bench or some such, so that at least some wino can get a good nights sleep and my mates can have a piss up.

Our American friends could do with familiarising themselves with the works of Mr Kipling (no, not the cakes) if they are going to be garrisoning their new empire they will be better off coming to terms with the realities now.

9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

It's the second part of that sentence which has the most meaning, the community. We exepct the brass to turn out at the funerals of fallen servicemen, but how many from the local community would even give it a second thought? The fact that this seems a spontaneous act is all the more impressive. It's a pity that "community" in modern Briatin doesn't mean what it did 50 years ago when people stood shoulder to shoulder and helped each other out because that was just what you did.