Texaco filling policy

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by cometcatcher, Aug 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can enlighten me about a 'company policy' of Texaco.....

Mrs CC and myself were just refused service at a Texaco filling station. The reason? Apparently it's company policy not to allow a passenger to fill the car up while the driver's still in the car. When I pointed out that as he could clearly see, she was driving an adapted car from her wheelchair and that maybe she wasn't able to fill the car up he refused to budge - either she got out of the car and filled it herself or he wouldn't serve us; he couldn't explain the reasoning, just that is was company policy. So we drove off and he didn't.

Any logic behind this?
  2. Perhaps they've experienced problems with people driving off without paying; they may need the driver to exit the vehicle to expose him/herself to their CCTV cameras.
  3. Obviously it is to reduce the huge number of drive-offs, where the passenger leaps back into the car which then roars off without paying. In some areas, they won't serve you until after you've paid. You could have offered to pay up-front since you'd no intention of doing that.

But yes, the cashier should have shown a bit of consideration.
  4. I worked in a BP garage before I joined up and had a drive off by a spaz-mobile. Equal rights for all!
  5. Yep indeed! I guess it's obvious, come to think of it.... but even the offer of her getting out didn't placate him, the letter of the policy must have been that she had to fill up herself..... Just strange and it's the first time it's happened in 3 years is what got me wondering :)
  6. Write a letter to the MD of Texaco - then wait for the fobbed of with 'It's a franchise' reply. Good luck!
  7. Next time put your wife in uniform and we can cut down on the number of chad threads about idiots behind tills

People who work in retail/garages do so either because they are unemployable in any meaningful job. A minority have smarts (can do sums an stuff) and are bitter and ******* twisted that you put more cash in your fuel tank than they earn in a week.

This is where applying rules (That were made for specific reasons) blindly in situations in which discretion would be the sensible and intelligent route, gives them a degree of power and control and inconveniences the rest of the world, which they loathe

I believe in passive aggressive terms it is described as malicious compliance
  8. Or, go a mile down the road and use BP :)

On a serious note, I hadn't thought about exposing the driver to CCTV - cheers for clarifying that! I just couldn't see the logic in the policy, my thinking was well, wouldn't I be more likely to do a drive-off on my own? Queery solved :)
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Always worth a try for a free tank of fuel though. Don't forget to include an appropriate level of Telegraph rustling!
  10. They would,nt authorise my pump once because I had the drivers door opened while chatting to a mate.

11. Alternatively, this is where applying rules keeps them in a job rather being sacked for going against company policy...
  12. Must be that particular station as we do that all the time at the Texaco up the road.
  13. It also stop the company from taking the till deficit out of their wages!
  14. Texaco don't own any service stations in Europe and there are no more franchises. They are all either owned by the service station operators or a conglomerate.
    However, I suggest you write to the customer services manager of the brand owners (which has been Chevron since 2002) and complain in a nice way, pointing out that you realise that while Texaco are no longer owners of the service station, you only go there because you have always associated the brand with quality and good service etc etc as Texaco is a trusted established brand.
    Write to:
    The Customer Services Manager
    Chevron United Kingdom
    1 Westferry Circus
    Canary Wharf
    London E14

Let me know by PM if you don't get any gift vouchers as I know her personally!
  15. Don’t you just love it jbm :biggrin:

For every post about some scum/chav/pikey having scant regard for the rules/laws/regulations there is another outrage post about stupid rules/laws/regulations

The ironic thing is that those who post so vehemently about one are the same ones who post so vehemently about the other :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: