Testing the Grendel

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Mar 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yup we used that as the proof we could do it! No fan of the heavy barrel as it means restocking! Also no need to change the trigger, the factory set trigger is very good.
  4. Picked this up on the blog yesterday.
    Looks like a good first outing(would have liked to have been there).
    When do you/CP hope to test the performance on deer?
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We thought about giving you a shout as you would have known the farm! As it was it took most of the day with 3 of us. Hopefully looking at deer once we have some loads which aren't ballistic tips!
  6. Will you run some ballistic v expanding tests in the future?

As you know I only use ballistic for rabbit clearance, but given the amount of debate(sadly much is just talk) about ballistic tips it would be good to have some practical results from a "known" source
  7. Archer, I have a bit of practical experience with .223 Amax on living tissue (large mammals). I will shortly be doing some experiments using 6.5 x 55 and 23g Amax.

The Kiwis use ballistic tips a lot on deer goat and Tahr in various cals with good success. They are a good source of 'real' information, however if it is extracted from forums the useful info is muddied with the usual rubbish.

Edit to add: If it is 6.5 data you are specifically after, the Scandinavians are the ones to speak to. They shoot everything with the 6.5.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The only downer I have on BT ammo is the effects I have seen when a stalker I was with popped one into the front chestof a Fallow at about 40 yards. It was 140 grain pill and I was at firsst stumped as I couldnt find an entry wound only what appeared to be an exit wound at the point of entry.
    The bullet had pretty much detonated on impact leaving a 3 inch hole in the front left half of the ribs close to the sternum. The heart, lungs and sadly all the gut was shredded by a combination of bullet jacket and smashed ribs. The fragments entered the rear haunches dragging green muck from the gut ruining the meat.
    I know some folks use them exclusively for neck shots but I'm sorry they just arent for me!
    I cant guarantee that I will get a heart and lung shot so I will pass up on a deer, the chances of a good neck shot are too slim for my liking!
    Perhaps driving the Ballistic tips a bit slower will help reduce the explosive effect but its an area I'm staying away from on live deer. One I'm willing to test on roadkill though!
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

10. I pretty well agree Ugly, at short range and high velocities there is no terminal difference between the A and V max: that is explosive fragmentation. For .223 that applies to all useful ranges. I intend to test the 6.5 Amax later this summer because, after speaking to some very knowledgeable Scandinavians they were of the opinion that at long range the Amax does the job on flesh and blood. Having said that, they were talking of shooting out to a 1000m with the swede, ranges that are not commonly accepted on live here in the UK.

Having said all that, I only use bullets that will explode on impact where working seals. The only acceptable shots are head shots and misses or shoot through's could be dangerous and expensive. With these bullets every hit results in a kill at the accepted ranges for that prey.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If the explosive expansion relies upon the plastic tip then how does it affect performance when the tip is deformed during the loading process? Most sp bullets cope well enough according to empirical accuracy testing done over the pond!
    Would removing the tip totally reduce the explosive expansion?
    I'm considering looking at Privi Grom bullets or Barnes solids to see they are cleaner. I was told many years ago that solid projectiles ie non expanding are preferred in Scandinavia by some hunters to reduce pelt damage, any truth in this?
    A swedish client came here last month and his family only use the 6.5 x 55 and usually only have one rifle and one shotgun!
  12. To answer the fist question, I believe that the explosive fragmentation has more to do with the thickness of the jacket. A thin jacket combined with a hard lead core being spun close to its mechanical failure speed will result in the bullet disintegrating as soon as it hits anything. I have had a Vmax explode a metre or so from the muzzle after touching (I believe) a blade of grass.
    Many Scans prefer non expanding, trusting in good bullet placement with a good calibre to do the job. Over there the 6.5 x 55 is something of a god with many of the seasoned hunters and shooters in general. It ticks all the boxes. It can lob a large range of bullet weights, it is very easy on the shoulder, even with higher velocities, it appears to be 'inherently accurate' and due to the length of bullets over 120g has a very nice BC. It certainly behaves better than the much beloved 7.62 at longer ranges.

In the UK it seems to have been overlooked as a calibre by many although it does everything that most want from a rifle without having too many vices.
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My first deer rifle built rather than converted is a 6.5 x55 CZ550 Full Stock. Freezer filler topped with S&B 1.5 to 5 x 20
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I am in the process of getting one put together from a Howa action for Daughter No2. I don’t think she will see a S&B sitting on top for a while though, not until I have finished paying for Uni!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I may be able to help there, depends if the rig I am putting together for a client needs the S&B 8x56 that Mongo has offered me.