Testing Medication in the 90's

firesquaddie

Clanker
I went through ATR Bassingbourne in the late 90's and remember our whole intake had to take medication as part of a trial.
I think we were told it was a trial of a new body building supplement. We were told some would take the old medicine, some the new and some would take placebos. None of us knew who had what. We had a full body CAT Scan at the start of training and one at the end to see the results.
Years later, i managed to get hold of my physical med docs and there is a sticker on the front stating "This patient may be taking LOSARTAN"
Researching it, Losartan is a blood thinner!
Back in those days as a young brand new trainee, you didn't question what you were told, we just did it.
Does anyone else have any similar experiences from that time?
That doesn't include the old and bold who had to run around Porton Down sites :)

I went through ATR Bassingbourne in the late 90's and remember our whole intake had to take medication as part of a trial.
I think we were told it was a trial of a new body building supplement. We were told some would take the old medicine, some the new and some would take placebos. None of us knew who had what. We had a full body CAT Scan at the start of training and one at the end to see the results.
Years later, i managed to get hold of my physical med docs and there is a sticker on the front stating "This patient may be taking LOSARTAN"
Back in those days as a young brand new trainee, you didn't question what you were told, we just did it.
That doesn't include the old and bold who had to run around Porton Down sites :)
Is there a consent form in your Med Docs? If not you may have a case against the MoD.

firesquaddie

Clanker
Not that I have seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?

The Army was testing 'new body building supplements' on you?

You 'had' to take them?

Losartan seems to be an anti-hypertensive. Willing to be proved wrong but I call total bullshit - everyone in a unit going through a CAT scan at the start and end of training? Don't tell me, I know - your CO was Lt Col Quatermass?

You after some cash by any chance?

firesquaddie

Clanker
Call bullshit all you like, it was what it was!

More after answers for medical reasons

Call bullshit all you like, it was what it was!

More after answers for medical reasons

Of course - any, like, proof?

My service bookended 'yours' so I think I might have known if there was somehow a 1st Bn Quatermass' Own handily barracked at the 'Pit'? The re-purposing of the Rinteln bus fleet to deliver your entire ATR to a CAT scan might have been noticed?

I've heard something about this. It's the Illuminati Super-Soldier programme. About a dozen kids were brainwashed, genetically engineered and given steroids/'supplements' as part of a Masonic black budget programme.

Is there a consent form in your Med Docs? If not you may have a case against the MoD.

Although case law has developed further since the OP's experience, even signature of a consent form would not necessarily preclude a claim, if harm or loss has resulted. If indeed the "whole intake" at a basic training establishment "had to take medication as part of a trial", it is hard to argue that there had been informed consent.

firesquaddie

Clanker
Of course - any, like, proof?

My service bookended 'yours' so I think I might have known if there was somehow a 1st Bn Quatermass' Own handily barracked at the 'Pit'? The re-purposing of the Rinteln bus fleet to deliver your entire ATR to a CAT scan might have been noticed?
The scanner was brought in by bus and parked up by the gym hangar!

What year at ATR Bassingbourne and were you RE, RSigs or Infantry. A good mate of mine was RSigs in the late 90's and was one of the PTI's there.

endure

GCM

The scanner was brought in by bus and parked up by the gym hangar!

Of course it was, CAT scanners are always moved by bus.

firesquaddie

Clanker

Latest Threads