Testers wanted please, particularly IE 6, 6.5, Safari etc

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

If you're bored, would like to lend a hand in sorting out ARRSE and you're using an old or unusual browser - ie not Microsoft IE7 or Firefox 2, I would very much appreciate you browsing around here on the new PH2_Blue theme:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn3/index.php?prevtheme=PH2_Blue

Just the forums for now please, but note that anything you post on there will be lost.

I want to know if any of the advertisers banners / google ads screw up any of the page formatting, and also that the silver buttons at the top of the forum pages are all positioned OK.

My aim is to make the header part of the page as small and neat as possible so that we make better use of the available space.

(I will solve the menu problem for DII, don't worry!)

2. buttons above forums overlap top of forum table

3. and i think the buttons look a bit naff, just having links is much better

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Please tell me your browser and hardware otherwise it's no use. Also a link would be useful or at least roughly which page you're on (looking at a thread / looking at a forum / looking at the index page / search etc)

Attached is what it should look like on a very small monitor (800 x 600)

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I went for buttons as text resizing (people using ctrl + etc) really screws up text links, also I prefer them to the current ones. The other trouble is that with text lniks the main functions don't stand out. I want someone new to be able to know exactly how to post / seach without looking at every link on the page.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Just checked it in the latest version of 'Opera' in XP Pro.

The buttons, being on a white background disappear too much. They could do with a colour infill of some description as you still have to spend time trying to find them.

The 'Reply' button needs to be visible on each post so that you don't have to scroll to the top of bottom to post a reply.

The 'Quote' button is missing altogether.

The login screen fails to show the 'secret login code', so that you can't verify you aren't a spammer.

Glad to be of help, thank me in cash! :D

Edited to add: Sorry, that was one of the threads.

I'm looking at the 'Forums' page in Opera at 1200x1600 and there is absolutely stacks of whitespace. I would need a car and a long ruler to ensure that the data on the right of the screen actually belonged to the stuff on the left.

7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thanks for the help biped - just what I needed.

Good point about the reply button. I'll add that.

I can see a quote button on the top right of each post. Maybe this is only visible if you're logged in?

Security code problem known but I'm only worrying about the forums at the moment.

I'm surprised by the button comments - they seem to stand out like a racing dog's bollocks to me. You are talking about the oblong grey / silver ones on the top right and left of the forums?

Point noted about screen size, but that's one I can't do much about. As long as the post content spreads out then I'm happy. The rest has to be usable for people with 800 x 600 (as shown in my screenshot), and best suited to 1024 x 768. I also have a 1600 wide screen, but surely the whole point of such a high resolution of that is that your browser window doesn't take up the whole screen and you can have other apps visible at the same time?

8. Drop down tabs don't work in IE 5.5 but that's because I'm using an MOD computer and it's fcuking shite but it can be an annoying problem.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

As requested (bottom image).

Also I've added the "go direct to page X" feature that was requested elsewhere a while ago (top image):

11. Sorry GCO,

Im using IE6.0 and a laptop monitor at 1280*800 and a monitor at 1280*1024. Though i dont use the windows at full size!

Have you thought about getting a proper usability assessment of the site? I could probably get a professional assessment as a favour if you would find it useful! PM me if your interested!

OS

12. I'll try and have a look in Safari tonight.

13. Are you trying to insinuate that I'd complain for the sake of it??? :D

Everything else seems to be okay.

I've got no issues viewing the site on my macbook using both Safari and Firefox either.

14. At the moment using opera with windows vista premium I get a database error.

15. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Anything like that would be very welcome and the changes that resulted from the last professional look at the site made the site much better to use - menu (if you're not on DII!), front page etc.

There are limits in how much we can change things though - time, money and of course not annoying the regulars - the complaining would be insufferable if I did anything dramatic.

Like I said, though, appreciated.

I can't get yout problem on anything less than 800 x 600 in FF or IE7, and that has to be the lower limit that we aim to accommodate. I'll get ie6 running on my girlfriend's PC today and look.