Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Tesco next down the pan?

As I said earlier you are not really saving anything because you are buying different brands.
If i buy a mercedes for 50k one year and then a Ford for 15k the next year I haven't saved 35k because I've got two different products.

If however, you could buy a BWM from one garage at £50K and a Mercedes of equivalent spec from another garage at £35K, you'd probably go for the Merc.

As I said earlier, if Aldi/Lidl are getting it so wrong, why have the better than doubled their market share in 5 years, and why has Tesco felt compelled to open up a competing brand?

Wordsmith

If however, you could buy a BWM from one garage at £50K and a Mercedes of equivalent spec from another garage at £35K, you'd probably go for the Merc.

As I said earlier, if Aldi/Lidl are getting it so wrong, why have the better than doubled their market share in 5 years, and why has Tesco felt compelled to open up a competing brand?

Wordsmith

Because people are idiots. Buying own brand from a supermarket used to be viewed as pikey but buying the same thing from Aldi/Lidl is the new in thing.
Have you never noticed that product recalls sometimes include own brands from several supermarkets including Aldi? Almost as if it's the same stuff.

I was under the impression that they just sold their stuff at lower prices? no "discounting" involved.

Hard discounter is a technical term for their business model. Here's a link with some explanantions.

Thinking Retail: A Hard Discounting Journey

Basically, it allows Ali and Lidl to offer comparable products at significantly lower prices than Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda

Which is a bit like a ratchet. One you've shopped for a few weeks at (say) Aldi, you'll go 'ouch' if you buy the same basket of goods at Tesco.

Wordsmith

As I said earlier you are not really saving anything because you are buying different brands.
If i buy a mercedes for 50k one year and then a Ford for 15k the next year I haven't saved 35k because I've got two different products.
Actually stupid you have lost a shit load of money in depreciation. Now do be a good boy and stop trying to derail the thread.

@Wordsmith as you are the master of the English language can you come up with a much more suitable word than Discounters to describe Aldi/Lidl ?. I would argue that they are not discounters as you say they do run a very low inventory model and a very efficient stock turn over. Lidl especially do not restock their shelves especially on perishable goods untill the shelf is actually empty.
Also we do have Lidl opening a store right opposite a Tesco up here.

Actually stupid you have lost a shit load of money in depreciation. Now do be a good boy and stop trying to derail the thread.
How it's derailing the thread to point out that the reason Aldi products are cheaper than tesco is because their products are own brand. When I suggested Tesco own brand it was suggested the Aldi own brands are better even though they sometimes have the same product recalls as the big supermarkets.

How it's derailing the thread to point out that the reason Aldi products are cheaper than tesco is because their products are own brand. When I suggested Tesco own brand it was suggested the Aldi own brands are better even though they sometimes have the same product recalls as the big supermarkets.
You make an example with items that have no relevance whatsoever to the subject in your usual I know it all manner. At least you now know the difference between Stocks and Shares thanks to @bobthebuilder .

@Wordsmith as you are the master of the English language can you come up with a much more suitable word than Discounters to describe Aldi/Lidl ?

As I've said earlier "Hard discounter" is just the technical term for their business model.

As to an alternative name, maybe "small but highly efficient convenience store/supermarket hybrid" would cover it, but that's a real mouthful.

Wordsmith

As I've said earlier "Hard discounter" is just the technical term for their business model.

As to an alternative name, maybe "small but highly efficient convenience store/supermarket hybrid" would cover it, but that's a real mouthful.

Wordsmith

How about "Retailer that realises that what most people want is to pay less"?