Tesco next down the pan?

You really are a ******* tool. I’m not back-pedalling isn’t “giving up its fingertip on survival” it’s insolvent. So is Arcadia. And John Lewis as you point out, is not far behind.

So who dips in to save them! Debenhams cant tap their shareholders as they’ve already said no. The Green’s (more accurately their holding company) won’t put more good money in to fund Arcadia. So whose going to put cash into John Lewis? Their rich shareholders?

You really need to look hard at yourself. A one line comment from me has triggered two long, abusive, ad hominem posts. Generally the behaviour of someone who hasn’t got anything intelligent to say.

Says the cock wittering on about the ‘evil bosses’ and ‘downtrodden workers’ of John Lewis.

Nothing I can say would seem intelligent against that eh Bob?

@bobthebuilder why not save this thread going further off track and, considering your Big Business Experience...simply buy Arcadia - save a few pension schemes and christmasses and...then we can get back to discussing Tesco?

You brought John Lewis into the thread. So what’s your (intelligent) answer as to how John Lewis might be rescued?
Using you as the yardstick of intelligent commentary, I guess the only way to save John Lewis is to overthrow the ‘evil bosses' and liberate the 'downtrodden workers'.

I bought JL into the thread with, ‘Debenhams has gone, who’s next - John Lewis? (paraphrased). I’ll leave it to you to work out how to save it... No doubt JL have you on speed dial.

Bon Marche, owned by Philip Day has followed his Edinburgh Woollen Mills Group into administration today.

I believe Bon Marche was previously acquired and owned by Day’s Peacock Group before being sold some years ago and was ‘rescued' out of administration by Mr Day last year.

Well done Tesco for repaying business rates saved during the Covid relief scheme.

See https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/boris-the-prime-minister.294200/post-10419457

ETA: I see Morrison's has followed suit and 'volunteered' a repayment of withheld business rates. The rest will all fall in line. How bad would it be to be seen to be the last one hanging on to the dosh when for the cost of some hand sanitiser and some bomb tape they have all been raking it in during the pandemic? No lockdown for them.

Last edited:
I've been surprised, this weeks Tesco delivery arrives in a timely manner, but something I've never experienced before happened.
Instead of hoofing the contents of the blue crates into a wheelbarrow as per norm for me to take inside,
the driver asks if its just me here ( 'ello 'ello I think ! ) I tell him yes and he asks me to remain where I am and he
proceeds to take the shopping inside leaving it neatly on the counter.
I know we slag off companies for rubbish service at times, but its the people that represent them that make or break the image, and tonight it made a pleasant change, even thought there were no fresh chicken fillets.

See https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/boris-the-prime-minister.294200/post-10419457

ETA: I see Morrison's has followed suit and 'volunteered' a repayment of withheld business rates. The rest will all fall in line. How bad would it be to be seen to be the last one hanging on to the dosh when for the cost of some hand sanitiser and some bomb tape they have all been raking it in during the pandemic? No lockdown for them.
They are all at it. They really couldn’t leave Tesco claiming the moral high ground....

Asda joins rivals to pay back Covid rates relief

Adds up to around £1.7bn.

Yokel

LE
Well done Tesco for repaying business rates saved during the Covid relief scheme.

Doh! I was going to say that. The other supermarkets have followed, and saved the Government (ie the taxpayer) hundreds of millions. Circa £1700 million - I did hear of the sums being paid back by Asda, Sainsburys, Lidl, etc but did not tot them up.

They are all at it. They really couldn’t leave Tesco claiming the moral high ground....

Asda joins rivals to pay back Covid rates relief

Adds up to around £1.7bn.
Doh! I was going to say that. The other supermarkets have followed, and saved the Government (ie the taxpayer) hundreds of millions. Circa £1700 million - I did hear of the sums being paid back by Asda, Sainsburys, Lidl, etc but did not tot them up.
Two million people got the £20/week UC top-up for a year, which works out at £2 billion, Those UC recipients will be spending their £20 weekly bonus at said same supermarkets anyway, so supermarkets aren't really being as benevolent as they make out.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Makes me wonder how long it will be before we get some virtue-signallers paying back the furlough money they received then trying to shame others to do the same

Makes me wonder how long it will be before we get some virtue-signallers paying back the furlough money they received then trying to shame others to do the same
I didn't get a penny so you can f*ck right off :)

Yokel

LE
Two million people got the £20/week UC top-up for a year, which works out at £2 billion, Those UC recipients will be spending their £20 weekly bonus at said same supermarkets anyway, so supermarkets aren't really being as benevolent as they make out.

But they could have kept the money! That £1700 million handed back is £1700 million of lending that will not need to be paid back. Of course the supermarkets also benefit from lower levels of public borrowing and taxation, but so does everyone else.

Something pleasant for a change.
SWMBO & one of the senior floor managers she's pals with ( they exchanged moby numbers a while back when SWMBO lent her books on fitness) was on point today when I was on my way out after buying my magazine. She said "see you soon" to which I had to tell her we are getting all our needs Tesco delivered..so no she would not till further notice at least under Tier 4..and likely beyond.
"Well", says she, your wife has my number. If you run out of even milk..whatever...buzz me and I'll get a bag delivered..bread...milk...whatever with one of the trolley/back store staff. I'll pay..you square them up. We only live 3 minutes stroll BTW.
Suffice to say I was taken aback. There are a few decent good folk around us too,
I wont forget that in a hurry. Now , that's a mate.

In the last week to Sunday, online sales for delivery and collection was just over £900K. Sandhurst was the first Tesco store to break that amount.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads