Tesco next down the pan?

This might speed up the decline of the High Street empty shops. Towns can only have so many charity shops. Once issues like parking and communal areas have been resolved.
Boris Johnson is sweeping in radical reforms to the planning system to allow vacant buildings in town centres to be converted to housing.

Cafe Rouge /Bella Italia - into administration with 91 closures and 1900 (of 6000) jobs lost immediately. It is hoped that buyers for the remaining 159 restaurants will be found.

Café Rouge owner falls into administration
I used to like Cafe Rouge and we would frequent the CR at the Lowry Centre in Manchester for breakfasts or early lunches before shopping, cinema etc. More often than not, we were the only customers. You can't run a restaurant like that with a handful of covers for 50% of your business hours. This isn't CV19 or anything new, similar restaurants have been going to the wall for years. Remember Fatty Arbuckles?
I just hope that Frankie and Bennys survive after the plague.

sorry but these numbers don`t make sense, 6.000 jobs over 250 restaurants???? either all the staff only work 2 hours a week each or they are vastly overmanned.
That’s 24 staff per restaurant for a business that has long opening hours (breakfast to dinner IIRC) 7 days a week. Easy to see how they need two shifts per day of at least 6 plus weekend cover the same. That’s at least 20 staff, without considering management.

These restaurant chains employ a lot of people.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
sorry but these numbers don`t make sense, 6.000 jobs over 250 restaurants???? either all the staff only work 2 hours a week each or they are vastly overmanned.
Perhaps that's why they were in financial difficulties long before lockdown.

Good to have something to blame rather than ineptitude or asset stripping though.

That’s 24 staff per restaurant for a business that has long opening hours (breakfast to dinner IIRC) 7 days a week. Easy to see how they need two shifts per day of at least 6 plus weekend cover the same. That’s at least 20 staff, without considering management.

These restaurant chains employ a lot of people.
Agreed... Front of house, kitchen, cleaning, duty manager two shifts per day, seven days per week. Area /Regional management. Two restaurant chains - perhaps two head offices but certainly one.

Not difficult to see how the numbers stack up although there may be a big part time and/or zero hours contract element in there too.

I used to like Cafe Rouge and we would frequent the CR at the Lowry Centre in Manchester for breakfasts or early lunches before shopping, cinema etc. More often than not, we were the only customers. You can't run a restaurant like that with a handful of covers for 50% of your business hours. This isn't CV19 or anything new, similar restaurants have been going to the wall for years. Remember Fatty Arbuckles?
I just hope that Frankie and Bennys survive after the plague.
The problem with these chains is that they're businesses, not restaurants. They exist to make as much money for the owners (usually private equity) as quickly and as efficiently as possible. Anything that gets in the way of making money is ruthlessly dealt with. Decent customer service, above poverty line wages, cooking stuff in-house, furgedaboutit. All the food is delivered pre-prepped and partly cooked by Brakes or Booker. No need for a qualified chef to get that ready. Bedsides it's not about the food, it's the 'concept' that get's the punters in. if you can't get money out of the business by cashflow, just pile on a shitload of debt. It's only the staff and suppliers who'll be fecked if (when) it all falls apart.

The last time I was in F&Bs - a good few years back now when the mushlings were little I racked up at the booked time. "O'right mate, we're just getting you table ready, take this radio bleeper and have a drink, it'll bleep you when we're ready"
"1 - I'm not your mate, 2 - you're not getting my table ready, the place is 3/4 empty, 3 - You won't bleep me when you're ready, you'll be bleeping me the exact moment I've ordered a 2nd round of not-very-cheap drinks like you did last time"

Two major reasons why places like that are going to the wall - 1, the general public have had to cook for themselves at home for the past 3 months and are realising that it's cheaper than they thought and the end result is often better. 2, they've run out of people who've been there twice.

The current mrs_mush and I used to get a breakfast or a lunch at CR when we'd have a shopping trip to Brum. After a couple of pretty average experiences we've since found a selection of cafes where the offering (especially the coffee) is better, the staff are less miserable and the owner is usually there in person as it's his/her skin on the table. 200% better experience.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want to go to a restaurant that isn’t a business try a Salvation Army soup kitchen.

All restaurants are businesses.
You won't find Michel Roux using minimum wage, zero hour staff or bought-in boil in the bag food though.

You won't find Michel Roux using minimum wage, zero hour staff or bought-in boil in the bag food though.
Perhaps not but you also won’t find M. Roux Jr charging £25 for Steak and Wine for two... Horses for courses really - Probably horses for lunch too at £12.50 a head including wine.

B96BA791-C479-4EA2-A671-8EB626E6672D.png

Yokel

LE
I went to Tesco yesterday and noted that the cafe is open once again - but only for takeaway drinks and things like sausage or bacon baps. Everything still takes longer as only half the checkouts are in operation.

As I live in a mostly rural area that depends largely on tourism, seeing holidaymakers or daytrippers was good.

Probably got a head office and depending on their structure warehouses/delivery drivers

If you want to go to a restaurant that isn’t a business try a Salvation Army soup kitchen.

All restaurants are businesses.
My sympathies for you obviously never having experienced such a thing but for the record, one of my father's cousins owned and ran a very unpretentious restaurant in Hatton Garden for decades. It was a labour of love and everything about it memorable in a good way. Friends I used to take there loved it. She worked hard and made a decent living from it. Mush Dad's point was about chains owned by companies rather that whether or not a restaurant is a business.

Tesco are telling staff to muck out the bogs.
I am saying nothing. Apart from the bloke on the left has just heard, and maybe the one on the right has just left a massive floater.
I'll leave it to the numerous wordsmiths that abound ARSSE.
This is the BBC webpage photo, not of my making.:)
1595440616357.png

Last edited:

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I wasn't aware that Tesco use contractors for this - took it for granted it would be done by trained staff.

Moving to the LIDL model. All staff do all jobs.

That will go down well with the Divas of Customer Service Desks!

Moving to the LIDL model. All staff do all jobs.

That will go down well with the Divas of Customer Service Desks!
Don't get me started on the Customer service people. I'm surprised that they don't insist that we salute.

I'm personally waiting for our new Diversity and Inclusivity training in a few months, they've already told us that we have white privilege.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Latest Threads