Tesco next down the pan?

Ironic given that we can start to go out more and more

BBC News - Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators Go Outdoors set to call in administrators
It will be a shame if they go, I tend to go there quite often for bits of kit to make my life easier on exercise like Jetboil gas, those decent boil in the bags they sell (loads better than the issued rat packs), socks, Silva compasses etc. It's all stuff I can probably get elsewhere but they have a big store on my doorstep and I get significant military discount in there. Managed to get about £300 off my mountain bike a couple of years back!
Their overheads must be huge though, the stores are gigantic and they hold a lot of stock on the shelves.

Tesco does an offer of four tins of tomatoes for £1.30. I shop on-line at Tesco's for safety reasons.
When i got to the checkout I had three tine individually priced as I was over the item limit, which is three.
I rang their customer support and pointed out the futility of trying to take advantage of this offer. The lady for Tesco either didn't understand or didn't want to. I asked if she was being obtuse or just following a script.
She apologised for not being able to be of assistance and rang off. The sooner it goes the better with staff like that and whoever put the offer on the web site they don't deserve to survive.

Tesco does an offer of four tins of tomatoes for £1.30. I shop on-line at Tesco's for safety reasons.
When i got to the checkout I had three tine individually priced as I was over the item limit, which is three.
I rang their customer support and pointed out the futility of trying to take advantage of this offer. The lady for Tesco either didn't understand or didn't want to. I asked if she was being obtuse or just following a script.
She apologised for not being able to be of assistance and rang off. The sooner it goes the better with staff like that and whoever put the offer on the web site they don't deserve to survive.
How long ago was this, the 3 limit was dropped for most things a few weeks ago and for all but disposable face masks was fully dropped last week.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

How long ago was this, the 3 limit was dropped for most things a few weeks ago and for all but disposable face masks was fully dropped last week.

This was last Tuesday for a delivery on Wednesday 17th (delivery from the Meadows but order from the web-site).
I looked again over the weekend and the offer was still there but I didn't try to place the order. It still only allows me to but three packets of tempura coated seaweed. I'm sue that that is not in high demand.

This was last Tuesday for a delivery on Wednesday 17th (delivery from the Meadows but order from the web-site).
I looked again over the weekend and the offer was still there but I didn't try to place the order. It still only allows me to but three packets of tempura coated seaweed. I'm sue that that is not in high demand.
That's weird, but then Dotcom is a law unto itself.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Not for home deliveries booked online they haven't. For instance, only 3 tins of beans allowed.

wheel

LE
I have been traced by Tesco or dobbed in by a fellow member here, a lesson to be careful with your persec. I am no longer allowed to discuss my experiences as an employee.

Sorry to hear that mate your posts have always been most informative.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry to hear that mate your posts have always been most informative.
Sorry to hear that, @wilfred . Your posts are interesting and informative.

And support my experience as a temporary Festive Colleague.

Aldi seem to be the choice of more and more shoppers, Me included, they do have a extensive range of own brand goods that are very good, especially their ready ( Microwave) meals, ditto their oven bake meals. Their cheese selection is wonderful, as are their chocolate, and the quirky selection of weird stuff has to be seen to be belived, Before you ask, No, I have no connection, only that being a German company, and having lived in the fatherland for 6 years, I know that boxhead food,( Frikadeller, remember them lads?) and household stuff is all good quality. Its worth a visit just to browse through the eclectic mix of stuff on offer.
You look at the ingredients of the ready meals, high in fat and sugar, Tesco have a price match campaign were they are matching the price of a 100 Aldi lines.

Yokel

LE
Not for home deliveries booked online they haven't. For instance, only 3 tins of beans allowed.
So what do you do for the other two of your five a day? What if you buy four packs?

You look at the ingredients of the ready meals, high in fat and sugar, Tesco have a price match campaign were they are matching the price of a 100 Aldi lines.
They are going to build an Aldi in the local town I shop in. With only one Tesco Superstore, one Tesco Extra, one Tesco Express, one Iceland, one Co Op, a Sainsbury, an Asda superstore, and two Lidls.... Why? I forgot there is a Food Warehouse as well.

Why not build something like industrial units and not bleeding companies to death with business rates?

Last edited:
Intu is in trouble.

Intu owns the some/most of the biggest shopping centres in the UK... Lakeside, Metro and Trafford centres for example.

Shopping centres' funding woes may prompt closures

Intu, owner of the Trafford, Braehead and Lakeside shopping centres, is warning its financial troubles could see entire sites shut.​
It has lined up administrators KPMG as a "contingency" in case financial restructuring talks with lenders fail.​
Intu warns that if that happens it will have to give KPMG funds for certain services, or see the centres shut.​
The company is the biggest shopping centre chain in the UK with 17 UK outlets and three in Spain.​
Intu has until Friday to sort out a new financial footing.​
The company said: "In the event that Intu properties plc is unable to reach a standstill, it is likely it and certain other central entities will fall into administration.​

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Intu is in trouble.

Intu owns the some/most of the biggest shopping centres in the UK... Lakeside, Metro and Trafford centres for example.

Intu, owner of the Trafford, Braehead and Lakeside shopping centres, is warning its financial troubles could see entire sites shut.​
It has lined up administrators KPMG as a "contingency" in case financial restructuring talks with lenders fail.​
Intu warns that if that happens it will have to give KPMG funds for certain services, or see the centres shut.​
The company is the biggest shopping centre chain in the UK with 17 UK outlets and three in Spain.​
The company said: "In the event that Intu properties plc is unable to reach a standstill, it is likely it and certain other central entities will fall into administration.​
Excellent news. Those shopping centres are vile blots on the retail and social landscapes.

Excellent news. Those shopping centres are vile blots on the retail and social landscapes.
I do my very best not to go to any of them - I always encouraged* moderatoress to go with daughter(s) / best doris mate etc as I would only spoil the day out with my disinterest and long face - but the amount of jobs involved across the entire estate (tenants and Intu staff) must be enormous.

They may an abject blot on the landscape but a functioning blot on the landscape is probably a better blot than these places left to the vagaries of vandalism, disrepair and dereliction.

*before lock down of course. Normal encouragement to leave me at home will be resumed when appropriate.

TamH70

MIA
Intu is in trouble.

Intu own a massive and I mean MASSIVE shopping centre in Braehead, replete with cinema, indoor ice rink and ski-slope. If they go it'll rip a huge hole in Renfrewshire Council's business rates.

Intu own a massive and I mean MASSIVE shopping centre in Braehead, replete with cinema, indoor ice rink and ski-slope. If they go it'll rip a huge hole in Renfrewshire Council's business rates.
They not long ago shelled out millions upgrading the shopping centre in Watford. The brand new Debenhams in the complex lasted about ten minutes.

Private Eye have been mentioning the fall of the big shopping centres and their owners for some time. I can’t remember the details at the moment, but it includes a council (County?) who bought a bargain as an investment.

Who will end up paying for these monstrosities? Why you, the buyers and tax (local and national) payers of UK. The big centres here in third world Peru are pushing to be allowed to open up, but the government are sticking to their guns so far. I suspect that a huge amount of the small and boutique shops won’t be opening up ever again.

Latest Threads