Tesco next down the pan?

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
I used to drive a lot when I was field service for Fujitsu. Many many chuck wagons around the A roads of N.I. There used to be a brilliant sit-down caff near Coalisland, and while I was stuffing my bake a bloke would wash the car for something like two quid.

I put on three stone in less than a year, eating fried grub and spending 3 hours a day sitting on my arrse in a Rover 800.
Are you Alan Partridge?

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The Cafe Rouge in Tenterden,Kent closed about six months ago.
They have been in trouble for a while and would probably have failed this Summer anyway. Overpriced, bad coffee and mass produced plastic cakes can only sustain a business for so long. (Unless it's Starbucks or Costa).

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

TamH70

MIA
Still not enough of a reason to go to Peterborough
Could be worse. Could be Neilston. Or as Barrheaders call it, "Cave Land". They have hot and cold running water up there, but it runs down the walls.

And if one of the schools up there ever goes "kafuckitybooOOOOOMMM!!!!" I better have a really, really, really, really good team of lawyers and/or an excellent alibi.

Some wounds run deep.

They have been in trouble for a while and would probably have failed this Summer anyway. Overpriced, bad coffee and mass produced plastic cakes can only sustain a business for so long. (Unless it's Starbucks or Costa).
One of the coffee chains and doughnut places reopened last week nearby, caused traffic qs as the mongs swarmed like wasps

Could be worse. Could be Neilston. Or as Barrheaders call it, "Cave Land". They have hot and cold running water up there, but it runs down the walls.

And if one of the schools up there ever goes "kafuckitybooOOOOOMMM!!!!" I better have a really, really, really, really good team of lawyers and/or an excellent alibi.

Some wounds run deep.
Neilston - Apparently voted one of the most desirable places to live in Scotland. Next they'll be telling me that Larkhall has been gentrified

One of the coffee chains and doughnut places reopened last week nearby, caused traffic qs as the mongs swarmed like wasps
KFC Boucher Road, Belfast reopened on Friday. The queue was, quite literally, a mile long. A taxi driver posted a dashcam video of it.

6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia
6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia

The owner of High Street restaurant chains Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia has filed intent to appoint administrators at the High Court.
Owner Casual Dining Group, whose brands also include the Las Iguanas chain, employs about 6,000 people.
Although the BBC has determined it to be 'Corona Virus’ related, wasn’t it heading towards towards the plughole prior to the pandemic? A number of such businesses including those of Jamie Oliver and Carluccio’s made the news for their failures.
Cafe Rouge can bite my hairy ass as the longer you sit at the table the higher their automatically applied service charge is.

Cafe Rouge can bite my hairy ass as the longer you sit at the table the higher their automatically applied service charge is.
I've never been aware of the likes of that anywhere!
How is it monitored & applied?

Anyways, Tesco...
In Falkirk, we gave an approximate population of 160,000. I took that from the local Herald weekly.
I'd estimate around perhaps 5,000 of these are bright enough to pick their noses before their arses judging by recent behaviours. I did not get that from the Herald.

There are two branches. One large in the the retail park, the other at the fag-end of the town as you leave ( the best road in town!) for the Glasgow Road westward. That's fairly local to us, parking is easy, and it's ticked over steadily for the 8 years it's been open.

However, we noticed pre-plague they were deleting many lines in basics eg Napolina pastas in favour of 2nd division own labels, but within Cov-id there has been a marked decline in ranges. It does not mean to say we are hard done by, we can still fill the larder mostly with quality brands so it's what I call "a first world" issue. I'd be surprised if this store remains open in a few years. We also have a large & very good Morrisons in town 2 miles from us. That store knocks the spots off both the Tescos on every level.

What was sadly noticed yesterday when SWMBO & I were deployed by our feline mistresses into town for litter and special diet scoff was her salon of 25 years being stripped & emptied, and two quality eateries with signs stating permanent closure. My pet computer shop has been emptied.

I know the local bank manager very well, great lady who sorted SWMBO out well when she retired, and I asked her how it was looking for the local business communities. In no uncertain terms, the answer was "extremely grim & concerning" and the ones we spotted were the "iceberg's tip". She expects banks having to foreclose in increasing waves (reflected right through the UK)..They all talk to each other at board levels. At any rate, that was our local Tesco seemingly running the choices down even more quickly, and 4 businesses we spotted within just 2 weeks without deviating our short car journey. It makes us wonder what our already depleting High Street is going to look like a year ( or 3-6 months?) from now but I doubt our town will be unusual.

Last edited:
It makes us wonder what our already depleting High Street is going to look like a year ( or 3-6 months?) from now but I doubt our town will be unusual.

Probably like Wolverhampton town center, which has vast tracts of shops boarded up, and some streets looking like a scene from a 1930's depression documentary, depressing tatty, and down at heal. In our village several shops have ceased trading already. This country is slowly heading backwards, it will soon resemble some third world shite hole banana republic, and parts of Americas inner city's no go areas.

Last edited:
Probably like Wolverhampton town centre, which has vast tracts of shops boarded up, and some streets looking like a scene from a 1930's depression documentary, depressing tatty, and down at heal. In our village several shops have ceased trading already. This country is slowly heading backwards, it will soon resemble some third world shite hole banana republic, and parts of Americas inner city's no go areas.
Are these village shops going to make you travel more for basics?
That would not be great.

Are these village shops going to make you travel more for basics?
That would not be great.

Answer:- No not really, we are blessed with small family run shops catering for all the basics, there is a parade of shops that service the estate not 200 yards away behind us, the co-op have opened a small store there, the village has a large retail park built on the site of an old copper pipe works just a few minutes walk away, called Bentley bridge, Sainsbury's, boots, Home bargains, Aldi etc very well patronised, and retains the ambiance of a small rural community. I suspect that the big towns and city's will be more affected, The small family run shops have a large dedicated clientele. The local butchers, run by a husband and wife team, are on first name terms with their customers, and provide a standard of service and quality that you will not find in the impersonal supermarkets.

All the village shops still retain the personal touch, a very old merrie England type of atmosphere. Even the lady's in the local banks take time to converse with their customers, on a first name basis, its all very convivial and laid back. something that is absent in the city's and big towns.

These kind of comunitys, which are dotted all over these islands, will survive, lower rents, a semi captive customer base, and are local, within walking distance, ample free parking , and if needed, on a direct bus route, right through the middle of the village and the retail park.

Compare this to central Birmingham, london, Manchester etc a totally different world, and having lived, worked and served for 3 years in london, and worked in Birmingham, and Manchester, I know where I would rather live, here, out in the sticks....no contest.

Last edited:
Answer:- No not really, we are blessed with small family run shops catering for all the basics, there is a parade of shops that service the estate not 200 yards away behind us, the co-op have opened a small store there, the village has a large retail park built on the site of an old copper pipe works just a few minutes walk away, called Bentley bridge, Sainsbury's, boots, Home bargains, Aldi etc very well patronised, and retains the ambiance of a small rural community. I suspect that the big towns and city's will be more affected, The small family run shops have a large dedicated clientele. The local butchers, run by a husband and wife team, are on first name terms with their customers, and provide a standard of service and quality that you will not find in the impersonal supermarkets.

All the village shops still retain the personal touch, a very old merrie England type of atmosphere. Even the lady's in the local banks take time to converse with their customers, on a first name basis, its all very convivial and laid back. something that is absent in the city's and big towns.

These kind of comunitys, which are dotted all over these islands, will survive, lower rents, a semi captive customer base, and are local, within walking distance, ample free parking , and if needed, on a direct bus route, right through the middle of the village and the retail park.

Compare this to central Birmingham, london, Manchester etc a totally different world, and having lived, worked and served for 3 years in london, and worked in Birmingham, and Manchester, I know where I would rather live, here, out in the sticks....no contest.
That's good. TBH, we will not want locally either for similar reasons. Something to be said for being based outside cities now.

You don't know how right you are, i have just been told by No 2 daughter, that Barclays is closing, that leaves Lloyd, Nat west, and nationwide in the village
We have a little TSB in our little town / large village. End of.

The nearest Lloyds (next town) closed last year but I believe there is a mobile Lloyds that makes an appearance once a week In the outlying villages.

All main banks are still in the nearest major town but happily, with internet banking, who cares. The only pisser is that we want to change our main account type but it can only be done face to face with an appointment.

I suppose they need the opportunity to upsell rather than just let the oiks select what they actually need.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
I went to Tesco today . What a crap shop. Didn't spend anything.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I went to Tesco today . What a crap shop. Didn't spend anything.
I went to our local butcher. Brilliant. Excellent meat, some lovely dry cured bacon and the news that he's having to give more hours to the temporary butcher he's had to recruit because of the increase in trade over the last two months.

Latest Threads