Tesco next down the pan?

Been on the cards for a while.

The Coronavirus is/was the final straw.
In our town it's a massive store but for a long time now the numbers through the door will have hardly paid for the electricity to keep the escalators going. It's a shame really as I prefer shopping for clothes by trying the things on in the shop. What really pisses me off is my kids routinely order clothes online, 10 of everything, take the lot out the bags try 'em on and send them all back... sometimes after they've worn them out for the party they were going to. "It doesn't cost anything dad!"

I REALLY hope that business model folds. They complain about the Death of the High Street but never step foot in it other than to sit in a coffee shop...

I vaguely remember the RS McColl's shops. Didn't they used to sell morning rolls and bran scones?
In their day, they were one of the top multi branch C.T.N's. ( Confectioners, Tobacconists & Newsagents)
All the Big 3 confectioners of Rowantree MacIntosh , Mars, & Cadbury vied from P.O.S spots at the tills.
I worked as a rep for Cavenham Confectionery in my yoof, but only the ASM ( Area Sales Managers) called on the HO for putting in agreed sale or return quantities of seasonal products eg Xmas Famous Names.
We had a ball in January picking up the S.O.R. boxes of liqeuers, which somehow got "damaged slightly":eek: to be written off at the depot...but...cough...somehow ended up being flogged for cough...cash.;)
This is a period when my company car was a new Talbot Avenger 1600 GLS ( Linwood shitbox). RS McColls went through circa 10,000 outers of Chewits 5p stick packs per month.
I felt like Cock 'o the North with it's metallic paint, Goodyear Grand Prix tyres, fancy wheel trims, and extra chrome...not to mention 90 BHP I'll have you know.
Another crucial account was Templeton Galbraith ( & Presto).. all very big on Parkinson's bag sweets tonnage.

Last edited:

ClentBoy

War Hero
MBA? Minimum Brain Activity?...... Harvard,& Son, is that the butchers in the high street?
Master of Business Administration but your very close you need minimum brain activity when your an accountant and of course no need at all for idiotic things like spelling who needs it numbers count not words, cracking place Boston I remember it as the Wolverhampton of North America

John Lewis Stores will be next, closely followed by M&S clothing. Once they go the new-ish apartment development in my town is going to be hard to sell immediately above the shops as it was all about 'stylish living'. Apartments going for £500k+ and the penthouse flats at twice that at one stage.... Stick in some boarded up windows, some mattresses in empty shop doorways for the homeless and a charity shop and the definition of 'stylish' starts to slip...

In 1986 I had the pleasure of living within 200 metres of Safeway's Kilburn branch. It was a darlin' store to be sure.
I actually know the branch you mean, before I met Herself I used to go out with a lass from Harlesden. Needless to say there were a few pubs around Kilburn that I gave a wide berth due to my occupation at the time.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Yokel

LE
Why have the Tesco adverts with the tasty blonde telling us about the cleaning stations for brollies, and then with a gorgeous brunette telling us about the screens at the checkout and asking us to pay be card, stopped?

Why was there no pretty blonde or brunette at either the cleaning station or the checkout when I did some shopping at Tescos last week? Where do all the pretty ones go?

Why have the Tesco adverts with the tasty blonde telling us about the cleaning stations for brollies, and then with a gorgeous brunette telling us about the screens at the checkout and asking us to pay be card, stopped?

Why was there no pretty blonde or brunette at either the cleaning station or the checkout when I did some shopping at Tescos last week? Where do all the pretty ones go?
Peterborough Extra if you want to pay them a visit.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Yes but Debenhams did originally go into Administration in April last year.
And again in April 20.

As a result of April 2019 administration and subsequent CVA with its landlords
  • 22 Stores closed in January 2020
  • 28 closures planned for 2021
As a result of the April 2020 administration
  • 7 stores permanently closed in April 2020
    • Truro
    • Stratford-upon-Avon
    • Salisbury
    • Westfield, West London
    • Warrington
    • Leamington Spa
    • South Shields

• 5 additional stores will now not reopen after lockdown ends following failure to agree rent terms with shopping centres landlord, Hammerson
    • Bullring in Birmingham
    • The Oracle in Reading
    • Centrale in Croydon
    • Highcross in Leicester
    • Silverburn in Glasgow
Not so much circling the drain, as performing F1 laps around it. There will be c. 130 stores remaining for the time being.

• 5 additional stores will now not reopen after lockdown ends following failure to agree rent terms with shopping centres landlord, Hammerson
    • Bullring in Birmingham
    • The Oracle in Reading
    • Centrale in Croydon
    • Highcross in Leicester
    • Silverburn in Glasgow
Not so much circling the drain, as performing F1 laps around it. There will be c. 130 stores remaining for the time being.
Several years ago I spent some 18 months in negotiations with a commercial landlord and can safely say that they would rather have empty boarded up retail units than reduce rents. Reason being is that by reducing the rent on one unit, especially and anchor unit, they are effectively reducing the value of their portfolio which in turn reduces the amount of credit that that portfolio can achieve.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
6,000 jobs at risk at Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia

The owner of High Street restaurant chains Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia has filed intent to appoint administrators at the High Court.
Owner Casual Dining Group, whose brands also include the Las Iguanas chain, employs about 6,000 people.
Although the BBC has determined it to be 'Corona Virus’ related, wasn’t it heading towards towards the plughole prior to the pandemic? A number of such businesses including those of Jamie Oliver and Carluccio’s made the news for their failures.

The owner of High Street restaurant chains Cafe Rouge and Bella Italia has filed intent to appoint administrators at the High Court.
Owner Casual Dining Group, whose brands also include the Las Iguanas chain, employs about 6,000 people.
Although the BBC has determined it to be 'Corona Virus’ related, wasn’t it heading towards towards the plughole prior to the pandemic? A number of such businesses including those of Jamie Oliver and Carluccio’s made the news for their failures.
The Cafe Rouge in Tenterden,Kent closed about six months ago.

Latest Threads