Tesco next down the pan?

Blogg

LE
The firm hasn't been right since Sir Ken popped his clogs a couple of years ago. Ran a very tight shop during his tenure and kept his eye on it after he'd left. A billionaire when he died. He counted every fceking penny too.
Perhaps but he totalled screwed up the Safeway acquisition, driving away hoards of customers by changing the product offerings to a single Morrisons standard with no regard to what customers wanted.

Apparently went to Safeway HQ day one, addressed the masses and near enough told them that they were all soft Southern nancies, survivors would all have to move to t'North and the whole outfit was no good selling the "wrong" product mix.. It would be assimilated into the glorious Morrisons business model with immediate effect.

Vast majority of Safeway senior staff soon walked or were fired, Deloitte "change managers" went after 6 months and whole thing went to rats with 5 profit warnings in 18 months, all of course blamed on how terrible Safeway was. (Which is why you bought it, obvs)

Its no coincidencr thay for a long time Morrisons was the only FTSE 100 company to have no Non Executive Directors at all.

Perhaps but he totalled screwed up the Safeway acquisition, driving away hoards of customers by changing the product offerings to a single Morrisons standard with no regard to what customers wanted.

Apparently went to Safeway HQ day one, addressed the masses and near enough told them that they were all soft Southern nancies, survivors would all have to move to t'North and the whole outfit was no good selling the "wrong" product mix.. It would be assimilated into the glorious Morrisons business model with immediate effect.

Vast majority of Safeway senior staff soon walked or were fired, Deloitte "change managers" went after 6 months and whole thing went to rats with 5 profit warnings in 18 months, all of course blamed on how terrible Safeway was. (Which is why you bought it, obvs)

Its no coincidencr thay for a long time Morrisons was the only FTSE 100 company to have no Non Executive Directors at all.
He was from Bradford. They're like that.

Still started with just a market stall though.

:D

No brown paper bags (or indeed any bags) in the fruit and veg section. Staff member, when asked said "none in stock and we won't be getting any more".
I was in the local sainsbury's last weekend, they've abandoned paper or plastic bags now for fruit and veg, instead you have to buy a 30p reusable string bag. I succumbed and loaded it with a mixture of carrots, parsnips, onions and runner beans.

At the checkout it went on the belt last. The girl on the till looked at when it arrived and said "you're supposed to put the veg into separate bags - and weigh and price it yourself". I pointed out that the cost of the bags would be more than the veg, and anyway I dont intend to buy a dog and bark myself. Supervisor is called over and after much tutting and eye rolling, tells me that I have to go back, pick up 3 more bags and weigh and price the goods.

After looking at the value of the goods checked so far - over £160 including £30'ish of fresh fish, meat and deli - I walked out and went to morrisons. The bill there was just over £120.

Blogg

LE
I was in the local sainsbury's last weekend, they've abandoned paper or plastic bags now for fruit and veg, instead you have to buy a 30p reusable string bag. I succumbed and loaded it with a mixture of carrots, parsnips, onions and runner beans.

At the checkout it went on the belt last. The girl on the till looked at when it arrived and said "you're supposed to put the veg into separate bags - and weigh and price it yourself". I pointed out that the cost of the bags would be more than the veg, and anyway I dont intend to buy a dog and bark myself. Supervisor is called over and after much tutting and eye rolling, tells me that I have to go back, pick up 3 more bags and weigh and price the goods.

After looking at the value of the goods checked so far - over £160 including £30'ish of fresh fish, meat and deli - I walked out and went to morrisons. The bill there was just over £120.
We have a really good traditional style greengrocer in village. Used to be rubbish but new owner turned it around by offering quality fruit & veg and not treating customers as a nuisance.

His trade has boomed and after extensive research has devised an environmentally friendly and easily recycled non plastic produce containment system for customers: paper bags and the empty delivery boxes.

Amazing nobody has thought of it before.

That's the killer of the business, managers who think customers should conform to company policy rather than the other way around.
I was taught that the number 1 rule of business was to separate the customers from their money. All business functions are to support this. Too many seem to think they are doing you a favour by letting you shop there. I think this is why aldi/lidl are successful.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

We have a really good traditional style greengrocer in village. Used to be rubbish but new owner turned it around by offering quality fruit & veg and not treating customers as a nuisance.

His trade has boomed and after extensive research has devised an environmentally friendly and easily recycled non plastic produce containment system for customers: paper bags and the empty delivery boxes.

Amazing nobody has thought of it before.
In Hendon there's been a privately owned greengrocers next door to the Tesco (now Tesco Express) for many years. It shut for a couple of years after the owner retired. Afer that he reopened because he found retirement unbearably boring. The Tesco seems to be doing quite well and interestingly, so does the personable and friendly greengrocer.

That's the killer of the business, managers who think customers should conform to company policy rather than the other way around.
I was taught that the number 1 rule of business was to separate the customers from their money. All business functions are to support this. Too many seem to think they are doing you a favour by letting you shop there. I think this is why aldi/lidl are successful.

Very true. I started my career in IT in the very early 80s' working for a large retail chemist. The first week I was there I was sent out to meet an area manager who had a reputation for being difficult. Over dinner he said I'll give you some advice; "The nature of our business is to sell toothpaste/soap/shampoo etc to our customers. Anything, and I mean absolutely anything that gets in the way of that is to be resisted at all costs. The sooner you guys in IT realise that the better". A lesson I held to be true all my time there.

He turned out to be a really nice guy and we got along well in the years I was there.

I was taught that the number 1 rule of business was to separate the customers from their money.

You are Arkwright perchance?

Today I saw the latest performance figures for our store (number 3 in size, number 1 in sales).
Availability down 7.9%, customer satisfaction a shade above 51%.
Really reassuring numbers for the long term.

Spectacular day at Tesco yesterday. Some of the high points
Very rude Posh bint 1 demanding to know why we don't sell fresh lobster as Waitrose are out of stock, well that isn't our demographic.
Very rude Posh bint 2 demanding to know why the meat counter is closed. "Sorry mam it closes at 7", threatened me with the usual "I know the Manager here" quite shocked when I answered with "would you like me to call him?", she slinked off.

Very attractive, very pregnant polish woman getting frantic looking for a whole organic chicken. Make her happy but not in the way I would have preferred.

Why is it that the posher someone pretends to be the more rude they are?

Spectacular day at Tesco yesterday. Some of the high points
Very rude Posh bint 1 demanding to know why we don't sell fresh lobster as Waitrose are out of stock, well that isn't our demographic.
Very rude Posh bint 2 demanding to know why the meat counter is closed. "Sorry mam it closes at 7", threatened me with the usual "I know the Manager here" quite shocked when I answered with "would you like me to call him?", she slinked off.

Very attractive, very pregnant polish woman getting frantic looking for a whole organic chicken. Make her happy but not in the way I would have preferred.

Why is it that the posher someone pretends to be the more rude they are?

I actually don't quite get the whole posh thing in the UK - I mean what's the point? You guys shriek at the mention of money but then there is the whole "posh" attitude and snobbery thingy to stuff.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I actually don't quite get the whole posh thing in the UK - I mean what's the point? You guys shriek at the mention of money but then there is the whole "posh" attitude and snobbery thingy to stuff.
Wasn't it part of your citizenship test?

Should have been.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Nah, it wasn't. They asked about all kinds of crap from ancient history from centuries ago but not this.
Guess you're doomed never to be British.

Guess you're doomed never to be British.
Gee whizz, I took him/it/whatever off ignore to see what had provoked such a reaction.

Back to a stern ignoring.

Incidentally re fresh lobster, anyone near to or passing along the Purley Way in Croydon should dive into the Wing Yip supermarket. They have a couple of tanks of live crabs and lobsters from which you can choose your victim in a Mr Creosote type of way.

Even if like me you hate shopping, I can guarantee you will enjoy this place.

Gee whizz, I took him/it/whatever off ignore to see what had provoked such a reaction.

Back to a stern ignoring.

Incidentally re fresh lobster, anyone near to or passing along the Purley Way in Croydon should dive into the Wing Yip supermarket. They have a couple of tanks of live crabs and lobsters from which you can choose your victim in a Mr Creosote type of way.

Even if like me you hate shopping, I can guarantee you will enjoy this place.
Wing Yip has a huge branch on the Edgware Road near the Staples Corner flyover

Wing Yip has a huge branch on the Edgware Road near the Staples Corner flyover
Last time I was in there I phoned a mate who likes to cover most foods with chilli sauce.
What would you like?
"What have they got?"
Ok this may take sometime.
They stock at least 30 different brands and varieties.

Latest Threads