Tesco next down the pan?

Another small indicator is the lack of paper for pay at pump receipts in every Tesco filling station we have used in the last month. Obviously cutting back on the important stuff.
I've noticed this on numerous Tesco locations, it maybe regional management cutbacks as Sainsbury petrol stations in my area are ok.

Overall, the recent staff cuts is also having a big impact on staff morale.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I've noticed this on numerous Tesco locations, it maybe regional management cutbacks as Sainsbury petrol stations in my area are ok.

Overall, the recent staff cuts is also having a big impact on staff morale.

Project turnaround, Tesco's master plan to maximise profit by cutting everything to the bone and fecking the staff around.

That way they get a big bonus and wonder why customers complain about empty shelves and favourite items being no longer stocked.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk

Project turnaround, Tesco's master plan to maximise profit by cutting everything to the bone and fecking the staff around.

That way they get a big bonus and wonder why customers complain about empty shelves and favourite items being no longer stocked.

Sent from my Lenovo TB2-X30F using Tapatalk
I concur, along with other factors such competition from Lidl & Aldi.

Replace 'every little helps' with 'struggling to adapt to it's rivals'.

I wonder if they’re still selling holidays, I pity the poor sods who’ve booked and those that are already on holiday, this could go titties up quite easily

Thomas Cook told extra funds needed to seal rescue Thomas Cook told extra funds needed to seal rescue

ETA just did a quick random search on their website and they're still willing to take peoples money, I don't think I'd risk it

Last edited:

Brisman33

Swinger
Trading whilst insolvent is an offence so they had better be careful. If booking a holiday make sure the company is ATOL protected, pay with a credit card and take out travel insurance.

Thomas Cook & Son came under the joint ownership of the four major UK railway companies. It was nationalised along with the railways in 1948 and operated under the British Transport Commission. It wasn't denationalised until 1972.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if they’re still selling holidays, I pity the poor sods who’ve booked and those that are already on holiday, this could go titties up quite easily

Thomas Cook told extra funds needed to seal rescue Thomas Cook told extra funds needed to seal rescue

ETA just did a quick random search on their website and they're still willing to take peoples money, I don't think I'd risk it
And that is what is going to finally kill them off. I can't see too many people buying direct with them and if booking through an agent or online third party people will make sure that it is not a TC holiday they are booking.

TC are toast and like all these instances it will be a sudden end with loads of people in holiday or just about to affected. Other airlines will make a small killing over returning holidaymakers to UK.

Thomas Cook & Son came under the joint ownership of the four major UK railway companies. It was nationalised along with the railways in 1948 and operated under the British Transport Commission. It wasn't denationalised until 1972.
I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas Cook went tits up over this weekend, either way, the final coup de grace cannot be that far away.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
And that is what is going to finally kill them off. I can't see too many people buying direct with them and if booking through an agent or online third party people will make sure that it is not a TC holiday they are booking.

TC are toast and like all these instances it will be a sudden end with loads of people in holiday or just about to affected. Other airlines will make a small killing over returning holidaymakers to UK.
I hope so, the wife has a weekend away the first weekend of Oct (leaving me free to OD on rugby and beer that weekend), flying out to Majorca with Norwegian and flying back with TC.

Brisman33

Swinger
I hope so, the wife has a weekend away the first weekend of Oct (leaving me free to OD on rugby and beer that weekend), flying out to Majorca with Norwegian and flying back with TC.
Norwegian aren't looking very good financially either, being affected by both the B737 MAX grounding and the B787 engine problems. should be okay for a flight next month but I wouldn't book anything months ahead.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Norwegian aren't looking very good financially either, being affected by both the B737 MAX grounding and the B787 engine problems. should be okay for a flight next month but I wouldn't book anything months ahead.
Just seen the post that Ryanair are after them.

I found this Beeb article interesting - What's gone wrong at Thomas Cook?
The main causes for TC failing were:

The firm is being buffeted by a number of factors: financial, social and even meteorological.

As well as weather issues, and stiff competition from online travel agents and low-cost airlines, there are other disruptive factors, including political unrest around the world.

In addition, many holidaymakers are putting together their own holidays and not using travel agents.
Then further down it had to fit in:

However, it warned of "further headwinds" for the rest of the year and said there was "now little doubt" that Brexit had caused customers to delay their summer holiday plans.
I wonder if the Bexit part was a bit of a try at a sympathetic bail-out from the govt or is it simply, as first listed, that consumers have got far more savvy at booking their holidays?

I've mentioned on another thread that we fancy Texas next year but with the inability of our Political Masters to manage to do anything I'm holding off on buying tickets, which I normally buy a year in advance. I'm hoping that come the New Year everything will have settled down, the sky will have been put back up and if I have to eat my first born at least I'll save on a seat.
I do wonder how most Travel Agents manage these days as, to my mind, surely their customer base is non internet savvy OAP who just walks in and says where they want to go?

I found this Beeb article interesting - What's gone wrong at Thomas Cook?
The main causes for TC failing were:

Then further down it had to fit in:

I wonder if the Bexit part was a bit of a try at a sympathetic bail-out from the govt or is it simply, as first listed, that consumers have got far more savvy at booking their holidays?
If you read beyond the EUBC version of events, including much put out by TCX themselves, Brexit is little going on fuck all to do with it. In fact arguably, with aircraft and crew registered / licensed in the EU as well as the UK they are better placed to weather Brexit than most other airlines.

What has done for them is poor/ utterly wank management and leaden footed responses to changing buying habits for DIY holidays using Ryanair / EasyJet, challenges from the much slicker TUI and new kid on the block, Jet2 in the package market, over complex fleets, investor meddling and falling into the hands of venture capitalists / hedge funds who write cheques in exchange for no lose clauses to their benefit.

Finally, and naturally missing from the BBC article is their pension fund. Like every other scheme it never recovered from That Cunt Brown raiding pensions meaning their pension fund liabilities alone are greater than their assets.

October / November is The Death Season for airlines and tour operators as cash flow is very low and post summer bills need paying. A sniff of trouble deters punters booking in the post holiday glow optimism and bingo, into the vicious downward spiral you go.

With many friends and colleagues at TCX and a side line in representing their pilots nationally, I’m angered and saddened in equal measure.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
October / November is The Death Season for airlines and tour operators as cash flow is very low and post summer bills need paying.
It's also the time ATOL issue their licences, not financially viable, no licence.

News reporting Thomas Cook have gone into administration & empty aircraft are positioning for the rescue plan.
Sad watching the TC flights on Flightradar24, probably for the last time.
Gawd knows what the crews are thinking. When they step off the aircraft they’ve probably got no job!

News reporting Thomas Cook have gone into administration & empty aircraft are positioning for the rescue plan.
Sad watching the TC flights on Flightradar24, probably for the last time.
Gawd knows what the crews are thinking. When they step off the aircraft they’ve probably got no job!
This has not been reported on the BBC website as of 00:51 BST.

Although the signs are not good, and the coup de grace is likely to fall within hours.

Edit at 00:57,

PPRuNe are showing photographic evidence of TCX aircraft being impounded at Manchester. More on social media.

Flights are being cancelled, reportedly.

The end of Thomas Cook Airlines is nigh.

Last edited:
This has not been reported on the BBC website as of 00:51 BST.

Although the signs are not good, and the coup de grace is likely to fall within hours.

Edit at 00:57,

PPRuNe are showing photographic evidence of TCX aircraft being impounded at Manchester. More on social media.

Flights are being cancelled, reportedly.

The end of Thomas Cook Airlines is nigh.
Done. Official. Aircraft impounded at MAN.
Sad news. Best wishes to the crews.

Done. Official. Aircraft impounded at MAN.
Sad news. Best wishes to the crews.

Another major airline loss.

Market dynamics have changed with the rise of LCCs (low cost carriers). The days of the old charter airlines must be numbered.

AFAIK, there's only TUI left in the UK now that fits that model?.

Latest Threads