Tesco next down the pan?

Always go grocery shopping with a list ; and stick to it
One of the things i like about Aldi/Lidl is that it is hard to deviate from your 'routine' shop due to the limited options.
Of course there is always the chance you will walk out with a new hammer drill when it's DIY specialbuys!

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the current fad is for all things 'protein' now? After a few years of ubiquitous bloody 'salted caramel', now it's 'protein'. Cereals, shakes, smoothies, biscuits... lavatory rolls. All carrying the magical word 'protein'. Paying for my petrol the other day, I noticed even Mars Bars have gone 'protein'.

Mars Bars? You know, the Mars a day that helps you work, rest, play and kick some weakling's arse into next week'.

Not just a Tesco thing, but general.

There was an odd guy who, years ago, used to wander up and down Oxford Street with a placard, who would have a few things to say on the subject.

View attachment 361117
He was brilliant & always happy to have a chat about other things than protein & sitting.

Game over for HMV.

Administrators in for second time in 5-6 years. Even if it could be sold as a going concern again it would have to become a very different business to that of today. Physical music and video sales across the sector are forecasted to drop the best part of 20% over 2019.

Game over for HMV.

Administrators in for second time in 5-6 years. Even if it could be sold as a going concern again it would have to become a very different business to that of today. Physical music and video sales across the sector are forecasted to drop the best part of 20% over 2019.
I'm surprised it's not dropping faster. Downloading/streaming is faster, cheaper and more convienant. If the next generation consoles come without a disc drive, Game will be the next big player on its arse.

Back to Tesco: During the run up to Christmas I was unable to find Pierce Duff's Blancmange at a fairly large Tesco store and at a Tesco Extra. They simply seemed to have stopped stocking it. Why? Surely I am not the only person who makes Trifle?

Sainsburys had it.

Back to Tesco: During the run up to Christmas I was unable to find Pierce Duff's Blancmange at a fairly large Tesco store and at a Tesco Extra. They simply seemed to have stopped stocking it. Why? Surely I am not the only person who makes Trifle?

Sainsburys had it.
Trifle with blancmange, it's that sort of behavior that cost us the Empire, sign out the mess Webley.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Sainsburys had it.
Probably delisted as not enough sold. Blancmange not on many modern menus, and many younger folk buy the entire trifle nowadays.

Sad but true.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
We have a handy choice, Waitrose, Tesco, Marks and Aldi all within a short walk of each other and Lidl (which we like less but cheaper on some things and had to go there to buy a duck) 3 miles and Sainsbury's (not much use though but had to go there recently to collect a TV from their embedded Argos) 5 miles.

For all their sophisticated systems, supermarkets have no way of knowing who flounced out and went elsewhere after not finding what they wanted. When Aldi fails us we go to Tesco and, sometimes stock up with other odd bits that we could have bought at Aldi. Examples that we can't get at Aldi are individual lemons and limes, and kidneys and liver, and their washing powder after the Aldi one proved nbg. Meanwhile things we used to like at Aldi vanished ages ago - schnitzels and bischotta for instance and they won't be back because there is 'no demand' because they are not there to be bought in the first place, so also sugar-free biscuits.

Meanwhile some things have annoyingly vanished altogether like small orange square scourers and silver dip.

The fact that the world is not run for one's personal convenience is a constant source of annoyance.

We have a handy choice, Waitrose, Tesco, Marks and Aldi all within a short walk of each other and Lidl (which we like less but cheaper on some things and had to go there to buy a duck) 3 miles and Sainsbury's (not much use though but had to go there recently to collect a TV from their embedded Argos) 5 miles.

For all their sophisticated systems, supermarkets have no way of knowing who flounced out and went elsewhere after not finding what they wanted. When Aldi fails us we go to Tesco and, sometimes stock up with other odd bits that we could have bought at Aldi. Examples that we can't get at Aldi are individual lemons and limes, and kidneys and liver, and their washing powder after the Aldi one proved nbg. Meanwhile things we used to like at Aldi vanished ages ago - schnitzels and bischotta for instance and they won't be back because there is 'no demand' because they are not there to be bought in the first place, so also sugar-free biscuits.

Meanwhile some things have annoyingly vanished altogether like small orange square scourers and silver dip.

The fact that the world is not run for one's personal convenience is a constant source of annoyance.

Aldi seem to have ditched all of the interesting continental lines that they used to stock. It's for that reason that I give them a swerve. They are almost indistinguishable now from the pile-'em-high-sell-'em-cheap British stores of old, such as Gateway and Presto (remember them?).

The argument that 'we'd stock it if it sold' doesn't really hold as long as its main competitor, Lidl, continue to do so.

Last edited:
Probably delisted as not enough sold. Blancmange not on many modern menus, and many younger folk buy the entire trifle nowadays.

Sad but true.
Ready made trifle is alright for most of the year - but not as nice as a home made one, nut not at Christmas/New Year. Not difficult is it?

Take glass dish
Cover bottom in sliced Swiss Roll - ideally jam only
A splash of Sherry (or more/less)
A couple of tins of fruit cocktail - minus the syrup
Make a pint of jelly, cool to room temperature and poor on
Cool in fridge overnight
Make blancmange, cool to room temperature and spoon it on
Sprinkle on a little sugar to prevent skin formation, and put the trifle in the fridge until the blancmange sets

the pile-'em-high-sell-'em-cheap British stores of old, such as Gateway and Presto (remember them?).
Yep I do very well.
Presto/Templeton/ Galbraith up here.
Back in the day when all their product shelves sported probably ( ? ) 10/15% of the stupidly exhaustive ranges of today...and we ate very well from a varied diet.
Why?
We cooked.
Then the public went toxic with Vesta boil-in-bags etc......and the national obesity crisis is a multi-billion £ threat.
As for bottled water? FFS! So saying, I do recognise some areas of the UK's tap water is not very nice..apparently.
( Harrumph)

I can't speak for others, but I've never had a trifle that contained it. Fruit jelly, perhaps.
Nor I.
From memory, my Mum's home made blancmange was whipped up Carnation milk, jelly, and lots of orange/lemon/ lime zests then set in the fridge. Over 55 years ago...so might be wrong on the recipe. Just recall it never lasted long!

Ready made trifle is alright for most of the year - but not as nice as a home made one, nut not at Christmas/New Year. Not difficult is it?

Take glass dish
Cover bottom in sliced Swiss Roll - ideally jam only
A splash of Sherry (or more/less)
A couple of tins of fruit cocktail - minus the syrup
Make a pint of jelly, cool to room temperature and poor on
Cool in fridge overnight
Make blancmange, cool to room temperature and spoon it on
Sprinkle on a little sugar to prevent skin formation, and put the trifle in the fridge until the blancmange sets
Fanny Cradock walt.

Yep I do very well.
Presto/Templeton/ Galbraith up here.
Back in the day when all their product shelves sported probably ( ? ) 10/15% of the stupidly exhaustive ranges of today...and we ate very well from a varied diet.
Why?
We cooked.
Then the public went toxic with Vesta boil-in-bags etc......and the national obesity crisis is a multi-billion £ threat.
As for bottled water? FFS! So saying, I do recognise some areas of the UK's tap water is not very nice..apparently.
( Harrumph)
40 years ago, we had a Co-op & a Presto for food shopping in a town of 12,000 & I don't recall struggling through the crowds.
Now 15,000 people & we have
Tesco
Aldi
Home Bargains
Asda
B&M
Morrisons
Wilko

I "trolley watch" when doing my shopping & it's no wonder the UK is fat, as many of them hold no fruit or fresh/frozen veg whatsoever. They walk straight through the fruit & veg aisle & on to the cakes, ready meals & fizzy drinks. There's rarely a wait to be served at the fresh meat & fish counters.

Then they can be heard bitching about the cost of food.

I can't speak for others, but I've never had a trifle that contained it. Fruit jelly, perhaps.
Thick custard is a good alternative to blancmange.

As for bottled water? FFS!
A necessity for someone like me that drinks sparkling water in copious quantities and generally as a day to day preference to all other drinks. The problem lies not with the bottled water though... just with the disposal of bottle. A recycled plastic bottle is no more a problem than a recycled glass bottle or an aluminium drinks can.