Tesco next down the pan?

Are there enough poms with good manners and taste in your area to make a pickled hedgehog testicle import business a worthwhile endeavour? I'm sure we could crowd fund the start up costs from ARRSErs
Like so many quality English products, the locals imitate using local ingredients. That is why we have great bands like Rolling Stoned and Beatled.

The shackle draggers already pander to the discerning gentleman by pickling kangaroo testicles. Close enough is good enough; she’ll be right mate.

I remember Flybuys from when I lived down under, the ex wife swore blind by them, so when did Aldi's move in?
About ten years. Still expanding out, but making Coles and Woolies wake up. Many Coles shops looked like a Tesco’s thirty years ago but they’re modernising to look like Morrison’s ten year ago. Aldi are killing the independent franchisers like IGA.

Hush child, you're embarrassing yourself.

In small words for the hard of understanding. Supermarkets did not put village shops out of business. The customers did when they decided to stop going to the village shop but to the supermarket instead. Because the supermarket sold what they wanted. That is why the village shop went out of business.

Ok now? Or do you want to insert another amusing reference about an obsolete battle rifle?
Fcek me. You go a long way round to state and accept my point.

Oh deified progeny of an unfceked vagina give me strength! You post like a sock.

Fcek me. You go a long way round to state and accept my point.

Oh deified progeny of an unfceked vagina give me strength! You post like a sock.
You are quite a thick permasending dullard aren't you?

RD was it?

I'm using Tesco less and less. Popped in yesterday to get some tamarind paste. They used to sell it, in fact it was a Tesco's own product, but not anymore.

They've got a whole half isle dedicated to gluten free products (at 5 times the price of the normal ones), ditto for bottled water, but seem to be stocking fewer products.

They layout of the store is atrocious. None of it makes sense and they keep fiddling about moving items. They are doing things like putting Guinness in the Caribbean section FFS.

I bet Asda have what I want. They even had fenugreek (methi) leaves, which I hadn't been able to find anywhere, last time I went in.

I'm using Tesco less and less. Popped in yesterday to get some tamarind paste. They used to sell it, in fact it was a Tesco's own product, but not anymore.

They've got a whole half isle dedicated to gluten free products (at 5 times the price of the normal ones), ditto for bottled water, but seem to be stocking fewer products.

They layout of the store is atrocious. None of it makes sense and they keep fiddling about moving items. They are doing things like putting Guinness in the Caribbean section FFS.

I bet Asda have what I want. They even had fenugreek (methi) leaves, which I hadn't been able to find anywhere, last time I went in.
Our local Asda seems to make it their mission to have only the lowest quality cheapest crap available, on the rare occasions I have bought fresh veg from them it seems to go rotten or mouldy in a day or two.

This thing with stores not stocking things is weird.
A friend likes to keep a carton of long life milk in case she runs out of the proper stuff. She had used her "emergency" carton and asked me to get a replacement.
Into Sainsburys can't find it ask staff. They find a manager who tells me that they have been told that they are a "high end store" and so they cannot order it!

Our local Asda seems to make it their mission to have only the lowest quality cheapest crap available, on the rare occasions I have bought fresh veg from them it seems to go rotten or mouldy in a day or two.
That's so you have to go back to buy fresh (and they hope, get distracted by some shiny tat that you didn't want and don't need, but will convince yourself that it's a bargain ; not to be missed) ;)

Always go grocery shopping with a list ; and stick to it
else you return home with a load pf stuff you didn't need

Has anyone noticed that the current fad is for all things 'protein' now? After a few years of ubiquitous bloody 'salted caramel', now it's 'protein'. Cereals, shakes, smoothies, biscuits... lavatory rolls. All carrying the magical word 'protein'. Paying for my petrol the other day, I noticed even Mars Bars have gone 'protein'.

Mars Bars? You know, the Mars a day that helps you work, rest, play and kick some weakling's arse into next week'.

Not just a Tesco thing, but general.

There was an odd guy who, years ago, used to wander up and down Oxford Street with a placard, who would have a few things to say on the subject.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say you're comparing apples and oranges. No-one does their weekly shop in the village shop. If it's a 10 mile drive to Tesco you're not going to pop their for a pint of milk. While they may strictly speaking both be grocery retailers they inhabit very different parts of the market.
The underlying principle is the same for both... only the scale is different. The business that doesn't understand its market will fall by the wayside whether that business is a one man village store or a giant supermarket chain

But if their algorithm indicated that the few people who buy wolf nipple chips also buy seals foreskin tea which has such a margin that they’d make more than selling to lots of otters noses that’s what they’d do.

Different retail sector but Zara can ramp up production of a long skirt that is trending in a certain demographic in Barcelona and push it into a similar demographic in London whilst not doing so in Newcastle because there’s no demand and do it in a week. The algorithms behind modern mass retail defy belief.
Possibly same scenario but - the other day I used a cash machine that actually offered to dispense in fivers. It was outside of a Tesco express in a particularly rundown and immigrant high area of Leeds. I can't remember the last time I went to a cashpoint that dispensed fivers! Unless...I live a sheltered life?

Possibly same scenario but - the other day I used a cash machine that actually offered to dispense in fivers. It was outside of a Tesco express in a particularly rundown and immigrant high area of Leeds. I can't remember the last time I went to a cashpoint that dispensed fivers! Unless...I live a sheltered life?
The Tesco small supermarket in Paisley, just off of Glasgow Road, dispenses fivers, tens and twenties.