• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tesco next down the pan?

Because it is funny, and I am not interested to be honest.

Perhaps the old style supermarkets need to concentrate on adding value (large product range.support/facilities to eat) to have an chance of competing with their low cost rivals?

Perhaps we could have themed supermarkets - or at least themed days/evenings?

Another thought - if they can take an order online, get it from the shelves, and deliver it, then why not do the same but you come and collect it instead of paying for delivery? Whilst your there you can have a bite to eat and a drink...
Aldi started as a single family owned grocer shop. Two sons inherited it and started building the empire. Eventually they decided to split it between them (Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, covering those areas of Germany respectively), if I'm not mistaken it was over whether to sell cigarettes or not).

UK Aldi is operated by Aldi Sud

Beats me why Aldi and Lidl are so popular. I liked Aldi when it sold genuine foreign brands. It was cheap and different, and a lot of the unknown brands were great. Back then in London they mainly frequented by non white people who looked skint, and a few whites who looked skint. Goods were just stacked up in boxes.

Now the foreign labels have largely gone and much less is left in boxes. Prices are up and quality is the same as the rest of UK supermarkets. Clearly they did something right as they now don't only cater for the ''looks skint' mob and asylum seekers. For me though they have just become another meh supermarket. As for Lidl from what I saw when they appeared in London they started as Aldi now are.

When I lived in Germany in the 80's Aldi were mainly frequented by poorer people and there was a stigma attached to an Aldi carrier bag. Not by everyone of course but it was there. I thought the German Aldi were great back then. I never saw a Lidl in Germany in the 80's or early 90's. On a recent trip back to Germany I noticed the unpacking of goods to be fairly normal not only in supermarkets.

Asda...I hate their shops. They have an unpleasant ambiance about them somehow. Like being in an airport. They are also chocka with mongs screaming at their kids, and women in their pyjamas. Like a big super sized pads NAAFI.

Supermarket fuel. I'm gonna be arrogant and say F Off to any disagreement in advance. I don't care. I ride bikes and have taken careful note of cost v fuel consumption and I say supermarket fuel is not the saving it looks like. It costs less but doesn't go as far. I wouldn't touch it unless I had to.

Prices..My groceries including toileteries etc, costs around the same as 25 years ago. That's right now. Costs are going up and have gone up in the past then gone down again. Obviously.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Beats me why Aldi and Lidl are so popular. I liked Aldi when it sold genuine foreign brands. It was cheap and different, and a lot of the unknown brands were great. Back then in London they mainly frequented by non white people who looked skint, and a few whites who looked skint. Goods were just stacked up in boxes.

Now the foreign labels have largely gone and much less is left in boxes. Prices are up and quality is the same as the rest of UK supermarkets. Clearly they did something right as they now don't only cater for the ''looks skint' mob and asylum seekers. For me though they have just become another meh supermarket. As for Lidl from what I saw when they appeared in London they started as Aldi now are.

When I lived in Germany in the 80's Aldi were mainly frequented by poorer people and there was a stigma attached to an Aldi carrier bag. Not by everyone of course but it was there. I thought the German Aldi were great back then. I never saw a Lidl in Germany in the 80's or early 90's. On a recent trip back to Germany I noticed the unpacking of goods to be fairly normal not only in supermarkets.

Asda...I hate their shops. They have an unpleasant ambiance about them somehow. Like being in an airport. They are also chocka with mongs screaming at their kids, and women in their pyjamas. Like a big super sized pads NAAFI.

Supermarket fuel. I'm gonna be arrogant and say F Off to any disagreement in advance. I don't care. I ride bikes and have taken careful note of cost v fuel consumption and I say supermarket fuel is not the saving it looks like. It costs less but doesn't go as far. I wouldn't touch it unless I had to.

Prices..My groceries including toileteries etc, costs around the same as 25 years ago. That's right now. Costs are going up and have gone up in the past then gone down again. Obviously.
They’re so popular because they sell the basics cheaply and people were fed up with being tucked up by the “big five “

Tesco will be launching their first discount store next week in Cambridgeshire. To be called 'Jack's', after the founder, Jack Cohen, it is their first foray into directly challenging Aldi and Lidl. They will have their own branded range of basic groceries.

Tesco to launch new discount chain Jack's next week
Yep. Apparently it was a very exciting thing to happen in Chatteris. Tesco spent £22m building a 'normal' store there three or four years ago but mothballed it as soon as it was completed and it's been empty ever since.

WATCH: Jack's opens to the public

From the photos and video, Chatteris is ScaleyAlberto's spiritual home. To keep all the fat poverty-riddled wifeys on one site there's also a large Poundstretcher sharing the original Tesco building.

Years ago, I briefly worked at a plant processing wafer thin ham and turkey etc. I can say that the only difference between many store brands was the label. Exception was Marks and Spencer’s who had their own sourced meat that was segregated from the Morrison’s,Tesco and Sainsbury’s.

No Lidl or Aldi stuff though. I’m not sure they were in the country at that time.
Ref M&S, they get their chickens from South America and say that is because their customers want this. They are also a nightmare company to produce for.

As an aside, the BBD on cans, is nothing to do with the product becoming inedible. It is demanded to be so short, by the supermarkets.

As an aside, the BBD on cans, is nothing to do with the product becoming inedible. It is demanded to be so short, by the supermarkets.
I think you’ll find it’s their insurers. Each product has a Preservative Effectiveness Test. If the manufacture is using a standard preservative the allowed life is defined as a standard; the test is just confirmation. If they’re using a bespoke preservative then they set the life according to the PET with loads of safety margin.

Yep. Apparently it was a very exciting thing to happen in Chatteris. Tesco spent £22m building a 'normal' store there three or four years ago but mothballed it as soon as it was completed and it's been empty ever since.

WATCH: Jack's opens to the public

From the photos and video, Chatteris is ScaleyAlberto's spiritual home. To keep all the fat poverty-riddled wifeys on one site there's also a large Poundstretcher sharing the original Tesco building.
Oi! My little sister lives in Chatteris!!!!

She's as skinny as a stick and a retired nurse from Addenbrookes. Lives there because a house in Cambridge is not an option on a nurses wage (or pension!).

It is a st1thole though.

Oi! My little sister lives in Chatteris!!!!

She's as skinny as a stick and a retired nurse from Addenbrookes. Lives there because a house in Cambridge is not an option on a nurses wage (or pension!).

It is a st1thole though.
An exception to prove the rule. There are still a few of us about in the Fens who can see our own feet without bending over, but we're a minority and dwindling number.

At least she'll be safe from ScaleyAlberto - he's a wrong 'un.

And yes, it's a shithole, stinking of onions for the next few weeks.

I think you’ll find it’s their insurers. Each product has a Preservative Effectiveness Test. If the manufacture is using a standard preservative the allowed life is defined as a standard; the test is just confirmation. If they’re using a bespoke preservative then they set the life according to the PET with loads of safety margin.
My information comes from my brother, who works with this every day. I have this funny feeling, that he knows what he is doing and is not a sprog, far from it.

My information comes from my brother, who works with this every day. I have this funny feeling, that he knows what he is doing and is not a sprog, far from it.
Mine comes from my own experience. Our product liability insurers tell us what shelf life we can apply irrespective of the results of the preservative effectiveness test.

The supermarkets have no influence on the shelf life of a branded product. Heinz don’t apply a different life to beans sold in Tesco compared with the corner shop.

I know a man who knows a man who will sell you a van load of cheap bog roll. It's only for wiping your arse with and way cheaper than Aldi.

Oh, the John Wayne bog roll? After all, it's rough, it's tough and it takes no shit from nobody.

Take a look on the job websites and see how ASDA advertise various positions, and the requirements:

“Grocery colleague” ffs!

And stuff like: (Do people really want this crap whilst shopping?)

• Have a smile in your voice as well as on your face. Always say hello and goodbye and talk to customers, showing an interest in their needs
  • Treat every customer as an individual. You may be the first person they’ve spoken to in the store
  • If a customer asks where to find a product, don’t just point or give directions, take them to it – and have a chat along the way
  • If a customer has a complaint, try and resolve the problem yourself or quickly decide if it’s an issue for a manager. Be sympathetic and don’t get flustered
  • WOW customers with your friendliness

I know a man who knows a man who will sell you a van load of cheap bog roll. It's only for wiping your arse with and way cheaper than Aldi.

We use to have that bog roll in my primary school in Blandford. I swear no one ever went for a shit in the years that I was there.

I liked Aldi when it sold genuine foreign brands. It was cheap and different, and a lot of the unknown brands were great.
I've found exactly the same. Aldi has lost its way for me and turned into a sort of food only B&M. Their stuff might be cheap but it's become deadly dull. Think of a supermarket selling nothing but insipid value brands and you get the idea. Thankfully Lidl hasn't gone down that route... yet.