• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Tesco next down the pan?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Years ago, I briefly worked at a plant processing wafer thin ham and turkey etc. I can say that the only difference between many store brands was the label. Exception was Marks and Spencer’s who had their own sourced meat that was segregated from the Morrison’s,Tesco and Sainsbury’s.

No Lidl or Aldi stuff though. I’m not sure they were in the country at that time.

I wanted the "cereal box opener" position at ASDA.
Don't get me started.
Not a lot boils my piss ( he lies) but scoffing shelf products and not paying does.
In Aldi last week ( nothing to do with us) a smelly pot-bellied trailer trash tribe of 5 got shadowed by a member of staff giving them enough rope to hang themselves as they were pretty much grazing on product then shoving the broken packaging out of sight..or so they thought. Filthy bastards...no shortage of Iphones mind.
Not sure of the outcome but when we checked out..( Sorry...Aldi....when we were thrown;) out) they were lined up against a wall awaiting whatever the process....probably Polis.

I wanted the "cereal box opener" position at ASDA.
A mate of mine did a stint in the local ASDA apparently the cereal was kept on pallets under an awning outside the goods entrance which kept the rats happy, he also found a rat nest at the bottom of an end of isle dump of smart price eggs.

Don't you dare question the business Oracle.
Well I don't wish to get involved in you guys little poo poo head ' side argument', I'm just pointing out that it's illegal in the UK.

Well I don't wish to get involved in you guys little poo poo head ' side argument', I'm just pointing out that it's illegal in the UK.
He'll put you on ignore in no time.

My wife's cousin lives in Germany he says there was a time when a Aldi opened a Lidl would open near it, and vice versa.
I heard a story that Aldi and Lidl are owned by two brothers who do not get along, so screwing the other one took priority over sensible business planning.

The likes of Aldi and Lidl are privately held, highly secretive. The beneficiaries are a tiny group of filthy rich families, governed through boards who are accountable to no one but the famillies. They are also German so almost certainly institutionally corrupt.
The beneficiaries may be a very small group but I save enough using them instead of the mainstream supermarkets to afford to do a 50 mile round trip in an old 4x4 that guzzles fuel to buy food, one of the things that fucks this country up (among others) is the drive to serve shareholders not customers, and before anyone starts bleating about pension schemes being major shareholders (those bastards are another modern ripoff designed to fleece joe public out of any possible savings) if we were not screwed so much we would have some sort of chance to stash money away, as things are way too many are earning JUST enough to cover basic living costs
But let’s not pretend that Aldi/Lidl are really doing anything new - it’s not like there haven’t been discount stores before eg. Kwik-save, and let’s not forget the baked bean wars between Aldi and Netto in the early nineties.

What’s more of a question is the societal change where it became socially acceptable to be seen shopping there (let alone trendy to go around boasting about it) rather than being treated like a latter day Billy Casper after turning up at school with your PE kit in a Netto carrier bag

I heard a story that Aldi and Lidl are owned by two brothers
When Aldi started up in Germany it was 2 brothers in partnership.

No sir they haven't, we have one here, a veritable "Open all hours" emporium, every thing your little DIY heart desires, staffed by a very knowledgeable staff, stuffed to the rafters with every thing imaginable, in the back room, sheets of timber, and all manner of precious things, all sizes and shapes, a veritable Aladdin's cave. Possible the last one in the area. Everything, and I mean.... everything!.
Got any pumps?

I heard a story that Aldi and Lidl are owned by two brothers who do not get along, so screwing the other one took priority over sensible business planning.
what's the point of repeatinsg confused rumours when the stories are all available on the web? Particularly when the only confused business planning appears to be on the part of Tesco (sorry-couldn't resist the temptation)

what's the point of repeatinsg confused rumours when the stories are all available on the web? Particularly when the only confused business planning appears to be on the part of Tesco (sorry-couldn't resist the temptation)
Because it is funny, and I am not interested to be honest.

Perhaps the old style supermarkets need to concentrate on adding value (large product range.support/facilities to eat) to have an chance of competing with their low cost rivals?

Perhaps we could have themed supermarkets - or at least themed days/evenings?

Another thought - if they can take an order online, get it from the shelves, and deliver it, then why not do the same but you come and collect it instead of paying for delivery? Whilst your there you can have a bite to eat and a drink...

Returning to the "one factory does it all" theme, there was once a rumour that the cheese factory in Oswestry produced all the same standard cheese, but just added food colourings to make the different types.