Tesco next down the pan?

Stacker could have an argument in an empty room the poor pedantic soul. When going on price like for like is irrelevant for a lot of shoppers. If someone is on a very tight budget they are only going to be interested in price.
Example: Loaf at store A is £1.05 - Loaf at store B is 80p . Saving of 25p
The same goes for the whole planned shop for these people.

Stacker could have an argument in an empty room the poor pedantic soul. When going on price like for like is irrelevant for a lot of shoppers. If someone is on a very tight budget they are only going to be interested in price.
You sound like a snob who wont buy Tesco's own brand but are happy enough with Aldi's own brand.

About 30 years ago a spokesman from Tesco's came to my school to talk about the opening of a new Tesco's superstore in Bicester, one of the questions he was asked was would they sell clothes, he replied probably not because people wouldn't be seen dead in jeans with a Tesco's logo. They eventually came up with Cherokee and the masses love it.

Bread you say?
H W Nevill's White Bread 800G - Tesco Groceries

Everyday Essentials White Bread

Yet people pretend to make a saving at Aldi because they will compare a premium brand name in Tesco with a different brand in Aldi.

Last edited:
One of my officers who is studying for a degree has recently been to a plant that provides garlic, ginger and such like. Everything is exactly the same except the packaging which is colour coded to ensure there are no mix up.
There are quite a few reports on consumer sites saying the same thing.
Garlic and ginger are plants, they’re not made in plants FFS. Even preserved in a jar, there’s fuck all differentIstion.

But beyond obviously commoditised products there’s are serious firewalls to protect brand integrity. Last two years I’ve spent a lot of time with contract manufacturers big and small as we’ve built the foundations of our business. There’s are complicated legal and quality assurance measures in place to protect intellectual property.

I’m inclined to trust my own knowledge of negotiating contract manufacture of products than that of an RLC officer on a site visit...

Garlic and ginger are plants, they’re not made in plants FFS. Even preserved in a jar, there’s **** all differentIstion.

But beyond obviously commoditised products there’s are serious firewalls to protect brand integrity. Last two years I’ve spent a lot of time with contract manufacturers big and small as we’ve built the foundations of our business. There’s are complicated legal and quality assurance measures in place to protect intellectual property.

I’m inclined to trust my own knowledge of negotiating contract manufacture of products than that of an RLC officer on a site visit...
And yet there can be a difference in the price.

Im inclined to trust my officer who is likely to know if he is an Australian citizen or not.

Oi!

Bob's a ******* millionaire business entrepreneur ex-pat.
I apologise, he's obviously busy engaging in multi billion, multi national deals which would explain why he forgets if he is an Australian citizen or not.

Why are you folks wasting valuable time replying to that perma-sending stirrer? I must admit that I am getting some mild amusement from the kicking that he is getting, but there's more to life than my getting some collateral pleasure. It just makes me glad that he is still on my Ignore list.

And what of the two quotes do you disagree with? Aldi has own brands they just don't call it Aldi. People on here are claiming the Aldi own brand (under a different name) is better than the big supermarkets own brand when it's likely to be the same stuff.
I disagree with your implication that unlike Aldi, Tesco does not have own brands under different names. The list of so called 'Farm' brands I posted earlier are all Tesco 'own brands'.

'Better' to the average consumer is a very subjective thing of course. If you happen to prefer Aldi baked beans to Tesco value beans then how do you, the average consumer, measure of 'better'? It can only be taste preference over price or price over taste preference at it's most basic level.

Own brands are manufactured, generally down to a price to the brand owner's specification / recipe, albeit by a same manufacturer who may also make the brand leader of any given item. Given that premise, it is unlikely that 'it is the same stuff' - just very similar stuff.

Have a look here at The Grocer Own Label Awards 2018: the winners.

Aldi make a few appearances in the awards - does that imply better quality? It may well do in the eyes of the average consumer and that means perhaps that some Aldi items may reasonably be described as being better than the equivalent item from Tescbury's, Waitisons's or Asdl et al.

I disagree with your implication that unlike Aldi, Tesco does not have own brands under different names. The list of so called 'Farm' brands I posted earlier are all Tesco 'own brands'.

'Better' to the average consumer is a very subjective thing of course. If you happen to prefer Aldi baked beans to Tesco value beans then how do you, the average consumer, measure of 'better'? It can only be taste preference over price or price over taste preference at it's most basic level.

Own brands are manufactured, generally down to a price to the brand owner's specification / recipe, albeit by a same manufacturer who may also make the brand leader of any given item. Given that premise, it is unlikely that 'it is the same stuff' - just very similar stuff.

Have a look here at The Grocer Own Label Awards 2018: the winners.

Aldi make a few appearances in the awards - does that imply better quality? It may well do in the eyes of the average consumer and that means perhaps that some Aldi items may reasonably be described as being better than the equivalent item from Tescbury's, Waitisons's or Asdl et al.
Where did I I say Tesco doesn't have its own brands under different names?

I notice from those awards a reluctance to name a lot of the suppliers in your link. Wouldnt want the public to find out that most supermarkets get it from one source.

A quick price comparison on the non branded stuff and suddenly Aldi isnt quite as cheap as people make out

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-09-19/how-shelf-prices-at-jacks-compare-with-those-at-aldi/

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
You are right... when he is in the mode he makes the 'Straw Man' look like a trainee in terms of argument.

Mind you, I have been guilty of subtly switching standpoints myself once in a while.

You are right... when he is in the mode he makes the 'Straw Man' look like a trainee in terms of argument.

Mind you, I have been guilty of subtly switching standpoints myself once in a while.
Care to show me where I made a straw man point?

And yet there can be a difference in the price.
Of course there’s a difference in price. The price of any item will consist of the ex factory cost of the item itself plus an element for operating costs, (which includes transport, running the shop, coporate overhead etc), interest, tax and profit.

Aldi’s hard discounter model works by driving down operational costs. Small shops, small SKU numbers, small staff numbers, charging for using a credit card etc all of which is reflected in thrnrocie you pay.

Even if the products are the same, the cost of goods will vary with volume ordered and packaging. Aldi package very differently: their products are bulk packaged in attractive branded boxes to reduce time and labour needed to display in the shop.

I’m fucked if I can work out why people go to business schools to study marketing, product placement, business finance etc etc when all they really need to do is join the RLC.

Of course there’s a difference in price. The price of any item will consist of the ex factory cost of the item itself plus an element for operating costs, (which includes transport, running the shop, coporate overhead etc), interest, tax and profit.

Aldi’s hard discounter model works by driving down operational costs. Small shops, small SKU numbers, small staff numbers, charging for using a credit card etc all of which is reflected in thrnrocie you pay.

Even if the products are the same, the cost of goods will vary with volume ordered and packaging. Aldi package very differently: their products are bulk packaged in attractive branded boxes to reduce time and labour needed to display in the shop.

I’m fucked if I can work out why people go to business schools to study marketing, product placement, business finance etc etc when all they really need to do is join the RLC.
Im fucked if I know how a great businessman such as yourself doesnt know if he is an Australian citizen or not.

He didn't really have a question he just had another dig at my Corps and is now in a sulk because I've reminded him that despite being the next Warren Buffett he doesnt even know if he is an Australian citizen or not.