Tesco next down the pan?

That must explain why product recalls are sometimes for the same type of items in both tesco and aldi :roll:
If contamination occurs in the factory, it may affect cheap own brand lines just as much as expensive branded products. Most of the lunchtime sandwiches bought in this country are produced by a handful of producers
Greencore - Wikipedia

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of my brothers, works for one of the major suppliers and you would be surprised how much is the same shit in a differently labelled can or jar.
Anyone remember the salmon/pilchards in compo? John West. The baked beans - Heinz, compo sausages - Westlers, the list goes on.

Then Tescos own brand is likely to be similar to Aldi own brand.
Aldi don’t have an own brand.

They use an adjacent labelling strategy, where products are labelled as close to a premium brand as they can get away with. I doubt you will find anything in an Aldi store with Aldi branding. Nor will you find much with manufacturers own branding.

Tesco’s use their own brand incorporated into sub-brands, so you have Tesco’s value range and their Finest range. Plus the majority of their stock is manufacturer branded.

It’s all about perceived value. Aldi operates in the price focussed area where perceived value and quality are largely irrelevant. Their products only need to be better than other operators in that sector, which is why they have destroyed COOP, Somerfield etc

Contrary to common belief, Aldi & Lidl haven’t stolen huge slices of Tesco’s market; their percentage market penetration ceilings as @lert points out.

I’m pretty sure Tesco will survive and thrive; they’ve got great logistics, volume, retail space etc etc.

If contamination occurs in the factory, it may affect cheap own brand lines just as much as expensive branded products. Most of the lunchtime sandwiches bought in this country are produced by a handful of producers
Greencore - Wikipedia
I was told,( but have no specific proof) that bods at Stirling Uni Campus ran tox tests a few years back on their own canteen pre-packed sarnies only to find them laden with spittle, hair and traces of faeces etc.
Suffice to say, purchases dropped like a piano down a lift shaft.

I know it's not relivant to today's Supermarkets, but for a short time I worked in the old Co op cannery factory (long gone). Just to show its not a new thing. But at the factory we canned food ie peas spuds carrots baked beans etc, for probably at least 6 different labels. The brine in all the cans was the same. The only exception was Baked Beans, where the customer required a specific sauce.

Aldi don’t have an own brand.

They use an adjacent labelling strategy, where products are labelled as close to a premium brand as they can get away with. I doubt you will find anything in an Aldi store with Aldi branding. Nor will you find much with manufacturers own branding.
You knew what I meant by own brand. The fact Aldi call their own brand products some other name to fool some of the gullible on here that it is somehow better quality than Tesco own brand, despite being made by the same company, is irrelevant.

You knew what I meant by own brand. The fact Aldi call their own brand products some other name to fool some of the gullible on here that it is somehow better quality than Tesco own brand, despite being made by the same company, is irrelevant.
Which clearly explains why Aldi products routinely score highly in blind tests.

I had a brief job in the QA labs at Scotts testing tissue products, Andrex was the gold standard, Tesco wanted their arse crack cleaner almost as good and your happy shopper types were the gold finger standard.
Same factory, same product, different production runs.

The fact Aldi call their own brand products some other name to fool some of the gullible on here that it is somehow better quality than Tesco own brand,
Tesco also use brand names designed specifically to fool some of the 'gullible' as you so eloquently describe the shopping members of Arrse. The great unwashed public in general are there to have their gullibilities exploited...

... exploited by dubious marketing practices designed deliberately to mislead buyers into thinking that something is somehow better than what it really is.

IMG_0583.JPG

All of the pictured brands are Tesco's fictitious farms... nothing more than food processing plants in fact but given the choice, the average punter is going to go for the connotations of 'farm produced fresh to your table' rather than 'eventually gets to your table via a minimum wage paying food factory'.

Aldi make no secret of the fact that it sells 'own brand', they just call the various own brand products 'brands exclusive to Aldi'. The same thing by any other name.

Last edited:
/\
Funnily enough, there was a Grey Suit delegation a few years back in our local Tesco store.
It was their choice to "engage" with customers, and I used the opportunity to ask the location of these "farms" as I was "interested" ;) know how local these farms were to us.
If looks could have killed, I'd be a dead man.
I simply smiled politely and assured them I knew it was BS and was just curious about their reaction, then walked off after politely excusing myself....much to the mirth of a couple of staff.
Nothing new in "marketing" kid-ology though. Buy a Merc A Class laced with Renault DNA, you drive a tarted Phrogmobile with a price hike. Priceless really.

Got a link to these routine tests held in the UK?
Blind tasting is nothing new, and with regards Tesco, staff often having blind taste tests in work, 3 times I have been involved.
God knows what Tesco does with the info.
Given sample A B and C, form for each and answer the questions.
Can't see any reason why anyone would publish them online.

I worked a while ago for a purple themed hotel chain that also owned a number of pubco brands. Once I was invited into a blind taste test where suppliers offered their latest menu items for consideration.

The steaks offered were delicious. Juicy, tasty and cooked to perfection. When I asked why then the shitty piece of gristle that was often served at the pub attached to the hotel where I'd been staying I got the look of death. It was obvious that the samples offered were far better than anything delivered to the pubs.

However I did come away with a useful tip; When ordering food, mention to pub staff that you're working for their head office. Quality and service somehow magically improves.

Tesco also use brand names designed specifically to fool some of the 'gullible' as you so eloquently describe the shopping members of Arrse. The great unwashed public in general are there to have their gullibilities exploited...

... exploited by dubious marketing practices designed deliberately to mislead buyers into thinking that something is somehow better than what it really is.

View attachment 353751
All of the pictured brands are Tesco's fictitious farms... nothing more than food processing plants in fact but given the choice, the average punter is going to go for the connotations of 'farm produced fresh to your table' rather than 'eventually gets to your table via a minimum wage paying food factory'.

Aldi make no secret of the fact that it sells 'own brand', they just call the various own brand products 'brands exclusive to Aldi'. The same thing by any other name.
I don't see people on here saying Tesco own brands are superior to Aldi despite a lot of it being made in the same place.

/\
Funnily enough, there was a Grey Suit delegation a few years back in our local Tesco store.
It was their choice to "engage" with customers, and I used the opportunity to ask the location of these "farms" as I was "interested" ;) know how local these farms were to us.
If looks could have killed, I'd be a dead man.
I simply smiled politely and assured them I knew it was BS and was just curious about their reaction, then walked off after politely excusing myself....much to the mirth of a couple of staff.
Nothing new in "marketing" kid-ology though. Buy a Merc A Class laced with Renault DNA, you drive a tarted Phrogmobile with a price hike. Priceless really.
1537525419920.jpeg

I don't see people on here saying Tesco own brands are superior to Aldi despite a lot of it being made in the same place.
No but you said...
It was that specifically that I responded to... the use of 'exclusive' brand names to disguise the 'own brand' reality of goods.

You are doing your own brand of argument manipulation here old boy.

A while back I used to live in the Vale of Evesham. Across the road was a “farm” with massive sheds which was serviced by fleets of trucks all year round far large and more than the farm needed.

My running route took me through the farm. I’d often pick up bunches of spring onions labelled by various supermarkets. The place was a packaging plant. Local scuttle was they they used to drive stock around the farm so that they could claim local origin.

I’m still fucked if I can explain why I could regularly pick up bunches of labelled and branded products in a farm track.

Being made In the same place doesn’t mean they’re the same product. Contract manufacturers switch between branded products and white label products changing the recipes for each customer all the time.

It’s a murky area for patent and intellectual property rights.

Being made In the same place doesn’t mean they’re the same product. Contract manufacturers switch between branded products and white label products changing the recipes for each customer all the time.

It’s a murky area for patent and intellectual property rights.
One of my officers who is studying for a degree has recently been to a plant that provides garlic, ginger and such like. Everything is exactly the same except the packaging which is colour coded to ensure there are no mix up.
There are quite a few reports on consumer sites saying the same thing.

No but you said...

It was that specifically that I responded to... the use of 'exclusive' brand names to disguise the 'own brand' reality of goods.

You are doing your own brand of argument manipulation here old boy.
And what of the two quotes do you disagree with? Aldi has own brands they just don't call it Aldi. People on here are claiming the Aldi own brand (under a different name) is better than the big supermarkets own brand when it's likely to be the same stuff.