Tesco next down the pan?

Tool

LE
Here’s what to do.
Go to Tesco, identify employees line, fill basket with booze and ham. Put haram food and wine on belt. Walk out when he refuses to till it up.
Rinse and repeat.
There was a rather attractive till operator at our local Sainsbury's, and I thought that it would making the shopping experience more pleasant. I was rather bemused when she had to call over a Supervisor to authorise my purchase of a bottle of wine, as she was under age (18?) to serve alcohol. There's ways of an organisation handling issues like this.

There was a rather attractive till operator at our local Sainsbury's, and I thought that it would making the shopping experience more pleasant. I was rather bemused when she had to call over a Supervisor to authorise my purchase of a bottle of wine, as she was under age (18?) to serve alcohol. There's ways of an organisation handling issues like this.
If you’re prepared to wait for them to change till operator.

The main thing is that it was brought out in public. If a retailer employs staff that pick and choose what they are willing to touch, then that’s a matter for the employer and the employee so long as the customers are aware that they may be subjected to that kind of treatment at that retailer.
If they're touching the ham or wine I'm buying then I won't be buying it, it's wrapped/bottled. Some staff tried that shit in Dubai and were given very short shrift because they most certainly are not touching it.

Here’s what to do.
Go to Tesco, identify employees line, fill basket with booze and ham. Put haram food and wine on belt. Walk out when he refuses to till it up.
Rinse and repeat.

Funnily enough when I lived in Morocco my local supermarket sold beer, wines & spirits all displayed in a seperate area of the store. They had some quite drinkable local wines that were less than half the price of imported stuff from France & Spain (very hefty import duties) so every week I bought enough to keep me going for another week. It was interesting at the checkouts, the odd very religious bird would still serve me but always covered their hands with the plastic bags before handling the bottles through the checkout. the other 80 -90 % didn't give a toss and just handled them normally! I never had any that refused and thats in a Muslim country!!

Funnily enough when I lived in Morocco my local supermarket sold beer, wines & spirits all displayed in a seperate area of the store. They had some quite drinkable local wines that were less than half the price of imported stuff from France & Spain (very hefty import duties) so every week I bought enough to keep me going for another week. It was interesting at the checkouts, the odd very religious bird would still serve me but always covered their hands with the plastic bags before handling the bottles through the checkout. the other 80 -90 % didn't give a toss and just handled them normally! I never had any that refused and thats in a Muslim country!!
Just shows you what nonsense it all is and how Muslims seem to bend things to suit. The koranic prohibition of alcohol refers to its imbibing being a distraction to the remembrance of God. Presumably, this restriction would apply to all intoxicants in addition to alcohol. Does this apply also to the use of an alcohol based handwash?

A Muslim so pious that they cannot bear even to touch a receptacle containing alcohol would surely not be able to participate in any enterprise that supplies alcohol to others for profit. Such considerations would necessitate the closure of many hundreds of Muslim owned restaurants, shops and other enterprises.

Tool

LE
Just shows you what nonsense it all is and how Muslims seem to bend things to suit.
I think the issue is Ramadan - a time where your level of piousness is evluated more so than the rest of the year.

It is also down (up?) to the individual to establish how pious they want to be, hence burkha/niqhab/full-on camo/hair hidden.

If they're touching the ham or wine I'm buying then I won't be buying it, it's wrapped/bottled. Some staff tried that shit in Dubai and were given very short shrift because they most certainly are not touching it.
Exactly, Tesco's pet Imam says that as it's packed and you're not touching it directly then it's OK to handle.

Exactly, Tesco's pet Imam says that as it's packed and you're not touching it directly then it's OK to handle.
There was an Islamic RN chef in one of the "fly-on-the-bulkhead" programmes who prepared pork dishes and bacon sandwiches for his crew - as you say the Iman had told him to wear gloves, not touch the pork and all would be well.

I understand the whole pork thing in the middle east, Jews and Mussies needed to be told not to eat it back in ancient times, as once slaughtered it went Pete tong rapidly and would have killed many with salmonella and other microbes in the desert heat. Another sign they are living in the stone age as they now have the ability to refrigerate pork products but then the cult would lose another method of control of the masses.
In Nigeria, my mussie mate and work colleague Salim, used to come over to my gaff on Sunday mornings for a natter and a bacon butty. He thought they were talking shiit too but still went to Friday prayers as his absence would have been noticed and he feared for his family still living in the North.
Islam = fear but just to clarify, Christianity, Judaism and communism, all cults in my eyes, all use ludicrous threats to keep the followers in line and unquestioning.

I understand the whole pork thing in the middle east, Jews and Mussies needed to be told not to eat it back in ancient times, as once slaughtered it went Pete tong rapidly and would have killed many with salmonella and other microbes in the desert heat. Another sign they are living in the stone age as they now have the ability to refrigerate pork products but then the cult would lose another method of control of the masses.
I think the cult thing is more relevant. Every cult has to have its rules and prohibitions.

All
fresh meat and fish becomes suspect in hot climates if it is allowed to fester on a slab accompanied by all manner of flies etc. Seers, mystics and prophets really do not concern themselves with such day-to-day minutiae.

I think the cult thing is more relevant. Every cult has to have its rules and prohibitions.

All fresh meat and fish becomes suspect in hot climates if it is allowed to fester on a slab accompanied by all manner of flies etc. Seers, mystics and prophets really do not concern themselves with such day-to-day minutiae.
I'd generally agree about the all meat thing but fish and pork carry particularly deadly microbes that don't just make you a bit sick. If my experience of travelling in the far east is any measure, drying ducks, lamb chicken and air dried fish are still edible after you flick off the flies and fry it for a bit.

I'd generally agree about the all meat thing but fish and pork carry particularly deadly microbes that don't just make you a bit sick. If my experience of travelling in the far east is any measure, drying ducks, lamb chicken and air dried fish are still edible after you flick off the flies and fry it for a bit.
Bombay Duck, sadly banned in this country now
In Nigeria, my mussie mate and work colleague Salim, used to come over to my gaff on Sunday mornings for a natter and a bacon butty.
In the small midlands town where I live, there's a substantial Muslim community. The mush_mother_in_law used to work in a convenience store not too far from one of the mosques. She always sold out of vodka after Friday prayers.

Last edited:
No, they're not covered by age restrictions. Also I you want to get a dot com shopper in trouble, hide a vibrator in the shopping they are picking.

That is an absolutely disgusting, reprehensible suggestion! Which I intend to try out at the very earliest opportunity. :twisted:

Last edited:

It's illegal under UK law for a person under the age of 18 to sell alcohol. A person of legal age must therefor authorise the sale. Test purchases are regularly carried out by local authorities and police. Any store who fails to follow the rules can be hit with a wide range of penalties. This ranges from till operators being fined, and possibly losing their job as well, to the entire store losing it's alcohol licence.

In the latter scenario, the Store Manager can, at the very least, expect an Interview Without Coffee from his Group Manager. Or he may have to do the Walk of Shame: Group Manager and Group PM visit the store, tell the SM his contract is terminated and he has ten minutes to clear his desk. They then walk him out through the shop floor, past his former staff and customers, to the carpark. The whole thing is designed to be as humiliating as possible.

Another nail in the coffin of the hospitality industry.

During lockdown, many people got used to staying away from the pub. There are many who still do not feel that they are safe environments and have been reluctant to return to their old habits. General price inflation is something which will become an increasing financial burden.

This major price rise is hardly going to improve the situation.

And yet

It's illegal under UK law for a person under the age of 18 to sell alcohol. A person of legal age must therefor authorise the sale. Test purchases are regularly carried out by local authorities and police. Any store who fails to follow the rules can be hit with a wide range of penalties. This ranges from till operators being fined, and possibly losing their job as well, to the entire store losing it's alcohol licence.

In the latter scenario, the Store Manager can, at the very least, expect an Interview Without Coffee from his Group Manager. Or he may have to do the Walk of Shame: Group Manager and Group PM visit the store, tell the SM his contract is terminated and he has ten minutes to clear his desk. They then walk him out through the shop floor, past his former staff and customers, to the carpark. The whole thing is designed to be as humiliating as possible.
Our store manager is the only one who has a licence to sell alcohol, I've decided to keep quiet that I also have one from working at the cricket club so I could be there by myself.

Tool

LE

I have no problem about her not being able to server me. I was merely pointing out that there are ways around a teller person, for whatever reason, not being able to server a customer.

I have no problem about her not being able to server me. I was merely pointing out that there are ways around a teller person, for whatever reason, not being able to server a customer.

A under 18 not being able to sell alcohol is a minor inconvenience that will end when that person is 18. Not quite the same as someone who won't touch alcohol, bacon, pork etc for their whole career.

Latest Threads