Tesco next down the pan?

.....Death by spreadsheet - knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. Friendly and helpful staff add value to the customer experience and I expect help sell more goods, but how do you record that on a spreadsheet?

There's also the wider issue of human interaction. Might be an important thing for a lot of elderly or single people.

A computer can't unionise and demand £20 an hour plus special treatment for being whatever flavour of the month minority

When we get genuine artificial intelligence it will

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A computer can't unionise and demand £20 an hour plus special treatment for being whatever flavour of the month minority
The people who code, maintain and keep your computer going can.

TamH70

MIA
Oh dear Lord! What if A. I.s have accents? It's not a great leap to imagine Hal as a Weegie: See youse, Davie! Am claiming ye, Am gonna sklep ye so ah am!

Edit crap Weegie accent

Harrumph!

It's "skelp". Mind you, if you did tell a wee Glesga Keelie that you were going to sklep him, you'd have that couple of extra seconds of pure incomprehension going for you when you left-hook him in the jaw as he tried to work out what you were saying to him.

A pisspoor idea, imho.
I might go for £49.29 (an odd, standout figure, might make you think twice).
Maybe I'm just a pauper and a peasant?
My debit card is either in a faraday sleeve or metal 'wallet'.
Possibly irrational, but I don't trust those portable near-field readers that are being promoted to small businesses = could you walk around on the tube grabbing cash off peoples' debit cards?

Not affiliated but I was given one of these RFID-blocking wallets as a gift, secondary advantage is that it reduces the number of cards I carry as the basic model only accommodates five:

Unlike individual RFID-blocking sleeves it's quick to access cards, just push a button and they pop-out a bit.

Not affiliated but I was given one of these RFID-blocking wallets as a gift, secondary advantage is that it reduces the number of cards I carry as the basic model only accommodates five:

Unlike individual RFID-blocking sleeves it's quick to access cards, just push a button and they pop-out a bit.
that looks pretty groovy.
I got mine from solon security. they also have an individual (ID card on a lanyard thing) holder that seems to work. God knows how!

Another nail in the coffin of the hospitality industry.

During lockdown, many people got used to staying away from the pub. There are many who still do not feel that they are safe environments and have been reluctant to return to their old habits. General price inflation is something which will become an increasing financial burden.

This major price rise is hardly going to improve the situation.
It's not ideal.
I'm lucky that I (finally!) have achieved a fine equillibrium between cash & liver i.e. I can't drink 8 pints on a night without really suffering (dry cleaning bills if nothing else).
An extra couple of quid would be annoying. Less annoying than the pub not being there - a decent one anyway!

M&S food hall staff at Brent Cross are particularly friendly, helpful and knowledgable about their stock.
<drift>
Where'd you get that hair-cut? Brent Cross Shopping Centre?
I bet your mother fed you with a catapult.
Oh, Mr. Shag Nasty A bit of give and take
'Oh Mr Peanut' Dury & the Blockheads
<drift>

Death by spreadsheet - knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. Friendly and helpful staff add value to the customer experience and I expect help sell more goods, but how do you record that on a spreadsheet?

living wage is cira £9 an hr for an adult + NI + pension

this is why there's less & less shop floor staff

The main thing is that it was brought out in public. If a retailer employs staff that pick and choose what they are willing to touch, then that’s a matter for the employer and the employee so long as the customers are aware that they may be subjected to that kind of treatment at that retailer.

Awareness of the potential for that kind of treatment is a good thing. It surprises me that the retailer allows it, but it’s their train set. Customers are free to use other train sets.

Tool

LE
Awareness of the potential for that kind of treatment is a good thing. It surprises me that the retailer allows it, but it’s their train set. Customers are free to use other train sets.
In a well-managed train set, you would be told up front that your station is not being serviced that day. You would be frustrated if you get to your destination only to be told that the train isn't stopping there today.