Tesco next down the pan?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can only hope that the staff vote with their feet and Aldi and Lidl pick up the slack. Even B&M have realised their future lies in their staff and not price competitivity. I'll always give them my custom where I can as I know the staff and during the pandemic panic buying nonsense, they continued to keep the shelves full.
At one time Tesco, and particularly Marks & Spencer, realised that staff were their best asset, treated them well and listened to their ideas.

Something convinced them that this was unnecessary expense, and the result is what we see today. Organisations that are a shadow of their former selves chasing the market ever downwards. Unsuccessfully.

Last edited:
It's bumper profits weren't enough, they're now trying to screw every bit of work out of fewer and fewer people. We have to do more with less, it's less and less the further you get down the food chain.

It shows. I waited literally 35 mins last Thursday night to get through the checkout. 2 plus the serve yourself ones open. I’d have dumped the trolley, but I needed the stuff.
People had dumped while trolleys all over. Must've been thousands of pounds worth of frozen/chilled food wasted.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't see them achieving it that way. Quite the opposite. They're driving business away.... and we've still to experience the duty increases.

Naturally. What else would you expect?

Another nail in the coffin of the hospitality industry.

During lockdown, many people got used to staying away from the pub. There are many who still do not feel that they are safe environments and have been reluctant to return to their old habits. General price inflation is something which will become an increasing financial burden.

This major price rise is hardly going to improve the situation.
Damn!
I think it was shocking how pubs were ignored. Some did stuff off their own bat, but it'd have been a great opportunity if they were treated as the 'community assets' they are (not all!) .
Beer gardens, bouncers, bbq's. 10 times better than chain-restaurant-friendly 'eat out to spread out' scheme. I'D'V'e brought Tom Kerridge and a load of independents in as consultants...they were baking bread, distributing consumer portions of food from bulk packs, dishing out lasagne
Of course , the pub co's (rachmann property co's more like) wont suffer, much, only the gaffers. Guess who's more likely to make a political donation? <adjust tinfoil hat 'just so'>

To my mind, the 'Cheers' bar wasn't such a bad model. you go there, talk, get called out for being tawttish etc.

They might be the ones who do well. I imagine that old what's his face will keep prices as low as he is able and clean up on volume and market share. I don't much like Spoons but there will be many others who are less fussy and will be willing to make the move.
Timmy 'Frothing' Spoons is a bellend, IMHO, for several things; BUT decent pubs, good beer, reasonable food (less kebab shop punch ups?).
I am in favour of them, even being rather leftwards.

giatttt

War Hero
Another nail in the coffin of the hospitality industry.

During lockdown, many people got used to staying away from the pub. There are many who still do not feel that they are safe environments and have been reluctant to return to their old habits. General price inflation is something which will become an increasing financial burden.

This major price rise is hardly going to improve the situation.
Had a walk down Sauchiehall street last week and it's fair to say there ain't much sign of life from a lot of the properties, I'm guessing that there is going to be a severe thinning out in the retail sector as well as the pub/entertainment. Couple of months back I was in Union Street in Aberdeen and it was bad, but there were many more signs of life.

Had a walk down Sauchiehall street last week and it's fair to say there ain't much sign of life from a lot of the properties, I'm guessing that there is going to be a severe thinning out in the retail sector as well as the pub/entertainment. Couple of months back I was in Union Street in Aberdeen and it was bad, but there were many more signs of life.
Yes but that was probably the beggars !

Former West End Weegie bred here from 4 months of age though born in Shifnal...but FFS sakes don't say a word about I'm Engreesh.:oops: Ohh.. anyway.
" Up Sauchie, doon Buckie, and alang Argyle" is/was nothing but gopping smelly outlets last time I went there by train to Queen St, and crowds feeding their fat faces and then dropping wrappers & leaky milk shakers anywhere and everywhere. So, as far as I'm concerned, the more of these repulsive shit shops close, the better.
Don't even start about the **** fashion Label outlets flogging £40.00 T shirts. Nobs.
Glasgow no longer belongs to me or I to it...and just wait till FatCatGop26 is done with it. It's set to be an utter shitfest.
I'm not joking guys....avoid Glasgow well till it's over if you can.

Couldn't agree more. My personal thoughts and in no particular order:

Waitrose: Staff usually friendly and generally helpful (it's the ignorant, unaware county set customers that put me off shopping there).
M&S Food: Staff usually disinterested and looking very busy doing nothing.
Sainsburys: Staff too busy standing in clusters blocking aisles chatting amongst themselves (usually moaning about their shifts).
Morrisons: OK but place always looks like it needs a good clean
Asda: Staff may not be the brightest but always friendly, chatty and helpful
B&M: See Asda
Lidle and Aldi: Yes we know what to expect and the staff are fine.
Tesco: Staff always seem harassed and not engaged with customers and always seem to be doing things, stacking, moving things or doing something to keep them busy and giving the impression you really don't want to ask where the chicken soup is because they don't have time to tell you.

At one timeTesco and particularly Marks & Sppencer, realised that staff were their best asset, treated them well and listened to their ideas.

Something convinced them that this was unnecessary expense, and the result is what we see today. Organisations that are a shadow of their former selves chasing the market ever
Couldn't agree more. We shop everywhere like most people:

Broadly agree, though I've found Asda's staff & customers zombielike - the whole place really feels like an over-bright warehouse or lab experiment.
There was a proposal for Tesco staff to do their own cleaning in addition to the day-to-day spills i.e. the after-hours floor scrubbing, dusting.

Staff need time to give decent service & not worry about whether they vacuumed the fridges, or have only 5 mins left to stock a shelf before they switch to tills or take out the rubbish.
Co-op similarly, depending on location

It's bumper profits weren't enough, they're now trying to screw every bit of work out of fewer and fewer people. We have to do more with less, it's less and less the further you get down the food chain.

As "robinrocket111" said we seemto be moving into an era where AI & silicon chips are replacing the human factor ...

Waitrose: Staff usually friendly and generally helpful (it's the ignorant, unaware county set customers that put me off shopping there).
Sainsburys: Staff too busy standing in clusters blocking aisles chatting amongst themselves (usually moaning about their shifts).
Tesco: Staff always seem harassed and not engaged with customers and always seem to be doing things, stacking, moving things or doing something to keep them busy and giving the impression you really don't want to ask where the chicken soup is because they don't have time to tell you.

My bold, its also a bit pricy compared with the other shops, but prior to lockdown I used my local one about twice a week and having a waitrose card got a free coffee, often helped by the friendly/helpful staff, and spending £10 + on stuff that was often better than or not obtainable in other outlets, got my free paper sat on a stool after the checkouts looking out at another coffee shop where you paid at least £5 for a coffee, nibbled one of the cakes/biscuits I had bought and surveyed the scene paying particular attention to the raft of attractive female uni students doing part time jobs there!

Straying away from Supermarkets, I always found Wilko staff were above average for being helpful and friendly. I put this down to it being a family-owned firm which might have a different "culture" to the big PLC's.

Having said that, I don't think they've been quite as good recently, and Wilko is starting to install the dreaded self-service tills. Maybe a result of all the Covid difficulties?

Boyes is another of the smaller operators, and I'd put them in your Asda/B&M category.

Straying away from Supermarkets, I always found Wilko staff were above average for being helpful and friendly. I put this down to it being a family-owned firm which might have a different "culture" to the big PLC's.

Having said that, I don't think they've been quite as good recently, and Wilko is starting to install the dreaded self-service tills. Maybe a result of all the Covid difficulties?

Boyes is another of the smaller operators, and I'd put them in your Asda/B&M category.
I agree, Wilko/Wilkinsons are friendly, clean and welcoming

It really makes a difference. If I have to go to Sainsburys I'm in and out. Asda/Wilkinsons etc I tend to slow down and 'shop'.

M&S food hall staff at Brent Cross are particularly friendly, helpful and knowledgable about their stock.

As "robinrocket111" said we seemto be moving into an era where AI & silicon chips are replacing the human factor ...

Plus this one now

Yokel

LE
That's 'cos they are all old buggers who spend all their time having a pee.

I knew someone who was dying for a leak and was glad to find a B&Q store so he could use the facilities. He is now banned from all their stores.

At one time Tesco, and particularly Marks & Spencer, realised that staff were their best asset, treated them well and listened to their ideas.

Something convinced them that this was unnecessary expense, and the result is what we see today. Organisations that are a shadow of their former selves chasing the market ever downwards. Unsuccessfully.

Death by spreadsheet - knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing. Friendly and helpful staff add value to the customer experience and I expect help sell more goods, but how do you record that on a spreadsheet?

I knew someone who was dying for a leak and was glad to find a B&Q store so he could use the facilities. He is now banned from all their stores.
That'll have been mush_lad when he was just 4 years old - and it wasn't just a leak he was desperate for.

Latest Threads