Tesco next down the pan?

With a lot of big name companies going to the wall I wonder if Tesco is in the firing line. Closed down Tesco direct, got an email yesterday saying the Tesco Wine By The Case is closing. Our local (very large) Tesco seems to have a lot of fairly empty shelves, made me wonder.

All my local small tesco have went from opening at 6am to 7am. So even through they still have the same running cost they effectively have an hour less business hours.

The local council had a moan at them about 20 stores in town so 140 hours less a week in business will certainly hurt whilst we have a weak pound aswell.

With a lot of big name companies going to the wall I wonder if Tesco is in the firing line. Closed down Tesco direct, got an email yesterday saying the Tesco Wine By The Case is closing. Our local (very large) Tesco seems to have a lot of fairly empty shelves, made me wonder.
The problem appears to be with Tesco's suppliers. Last year, for instance, Unilever wanted to increase the price of their products by 10% causing Tesco to stop stocking them temporarily. I assume the same thing is happening with other producers.

Brexit vs. Tesco: Will Britain’s Largest Grocer Stand the Ultimate Test? – Technology and Operations Management

I don't know about Tesco's but Mothercare appear to be on the skids. I called in at Mothercare in Weybridge (on the Brooklands Retail Park, with a Tesco Extra and M&S round the corner) to find that the store was closing and that they were having a firesale. I picked up a brand new Graco car seat for Master H_M, for £68-80, so down 20% from the original £86. I was very happy and @Cold_Collation very kindly helped me fit it together later that morning.

I would say that Sainsbury's will be in the next 5-10 years gone. They bought Argos, purely for the distribution network and is now asset stripping. The supermarkets, selling of floorspace to small shops to be fitted inside the existing buildings. On top of that, they have got rid of huge swathes of staff, with those that remain, having their contracts rewritten for the worse. Staff doing managerial jobs, but no extra money etc.

I was very happy and @Cold_Collation very kindly helped me fit it together later that morning.
Using his issued REME hammer and screwdriver I presume.

Tesco's have taken the step of stocking more own brand goods to compete with Lidl and Aldi rather than branded goods, Not sure they will succeed but there you go.

M&S will fold, PC World and Curry's are having a hard time and could be gone if they don't have a good Xmas, Homebase is on the brink and B&Q are not doing to well although Screwfix is which is weird.

Interesting thought about Tesco. I am given to understand that this may be a company that is "Too big to fail". Should the UK's largest supermarket chain go the way of a fair few large shopping chains there is a concern that the rest of the nations food supply and distribution network could not deal with the demands.

Interesting thought about Tesco. I am given to understand that this may be a company that is "Too big to fail". Should the UK's largest supermarket chain go the way of a fair few large shopping chains there is a concern that the rest of the nations food supply and distribution network could not deal with the demands.
National obesity problem sorted.

Tesco already had their first taste of crisis: stupid accounting policies in 2014 to try and plug gaps caused by relentless and ill advised expansion caused many heads to roll and last year being fined by the SFO £129m for overstating profits.

Since then been busy winding their overstretched corporate necks in thanks to their new CEO, Dave Lewis, aka Drastic Dave.

I called in at Mothercare in Weybridge (on the Brooklands Retail Park, with a Tesco Extra and M&S round the corner) to find that the store was closing and that they were having a firesale. I picked up a brand new Graco car seat for Master H_M, for £68-80, so down 20% from the original £86. I was very happy and @Cold_Collation very kindly helped me fit it together later that morning.
Are you and @Cold_Collation planning on kidnapping a child or are you an LGBTQ surrogacy affair?

M&S will fold, PC World and Curry's are having a hard time and could be gone if they don't have a good Xmas, Homebase is on the brink and B&Q are not doing to well although Screwfix is which is weird.
I suspect some of this is down to the internet buying revolution. You check out the local store to see what suits you, then buy it on the web where you'll find the best price.
Homebase + B&Q have big stores with lots of floorspace and displays. Screwfix have very little display area relying on catalogues/internet.

Tesco Direct failed because it can't compete with Amazon. Tesco as a whole is doing well.

That story did the rounds after the accounting scandal a few years ago. It was just a bunch of competitors whining about Tesco "monopolising" the market.

Perhaps smaller outlets like the Coop, Lidl's and Aldis will take up the slack. or we will go back to the old days of family run corner shops.