Tesco Heart Rate Monitor!

Anyone else bought one? I was playing with my new one tonight, and I have managed to get it stuck on thinking that I was born in 1950. Anyone got any ideas how to change it back?

Prae

Do you still have the packaging?

How much? My old one is busted.

£20? That's pretty good.

Praetorian said:
£20! A princely sum!
Fcuk me! I got my last one from Lidl, £5. Probably why it's busted. :roll:

I got one from Maplin and had to take it back - you needed a jeweler's screwdriver to put the battery in it FFS. £20 from Tesco sounds good - I tried a Polar one that said it was ECG accurate and pretty much seemed to be, but some of them seem to throw out random numbers - you can guess more accurately.

The other thing I wondered about was whether heart rate was everything as a measure of cv effort. Running fast on a treadmill my heartrate can be very high, but perceived exertion is quite low. Carrying weight up a hill heartrate can be lower, but my heart can be banging out of my chest, and if I open my mouth wide there's a horrible rushing sound of blood with each beat, "tak-sheesh, tak-sheesh".

I think some exercises get the blood back to your heart more efficiently through the so-called "peripheral heart action", so heart rate seems lower, but the amount of blood shifted and the real effort is higher.

gobbyidiot said:
I got one from Maplin and had to take it back - you needed a jeweler's screwdriver to put the battery in it FFS.
Ok, stand by, I needed one to reset this one, as I fucked up when I initially set it up. I think thats standard practice for watches/similar to be honest.

just got one meself and ballsed up my weight though
would love to be 50lb if i were 6

how did you reset it as the instructions are shite
am i going to have to de-battery re-battery it?

Fu ck I need a drink!

i once bought one from Aldi, or asda or somewhere equally shoite...lasted about 3 days before giving random and dangerous read outs...binned it, have stuck with polar ever since.

i've neer had any issues with polar but i know that they can be temperamental and others have suffered. i do all battery changes myself, never had an issue. most jewellers eith charge the earth or won't touch them.

i am informed that Garmin and Suunto are pretty good too. what is quite interesting is a number of top athletes are now turning their backs on HRM...however i like them and it makes me feel good to see that i've smashed a couple of 1000Kcals on a long session...

Danny_Dravot said:
i once bought one from Aldi, or asda or somewhere equally shoite...lasted about 3 days before giving random and dangerous read outs...binned it, have stuck with polar ever since.

i've neer had any issues with polar but i know that they can be temperamental and others have suffered. i do all battery changes myself, never had an issue. most jewellers eith charge the earth or won't touch them.

i am informed that Garmin and Suunto are pretty good too. what is quite interesting is a number of top athletes are now turning their backs on HRM...however i like them and it makes me feel good to see that i've smashed a couple of 1000Kcals on a long session...
was looking at the polar fs3c but thought i'd take a gamble on the £15 own brand
ah well, back in t'box and back to t'shop

I use a forerunner 305 for HR based sessions as well as tracking my running. As the battery dies it takes a bit longer to get to accurate reading, but after that it's pretty reliable.

Danny_Dravot said:

My bold - any idea why that is Danny ?

sc_obvious said:
Danny_Dravot said:

My bold - any idea why that is Danny ?
i suspect it is because they are well attuned to phys regimes and know their bodies well and what they wish to achieve from a session. TBH i know when training rougly what my HR is and, keeping it broad, its either an easy, medium or hard session. Also one size doesn't fit all; my 90%max HR may be your 85% etc.