Terry Pratchett - To dabble or not?

I would appreciate some information from the esteemed folk on these 'ere forums ref: Terry Pratchett novels.

I have never fancied them myself, not really what I'm into.
However, I have read comments on how ball bustingly funny they are.
So before I commit to reading the 20 odd novels. I would appreciate if it is worth the ballache/cash displacement in acquiring the first one to set me off on an adventure that I know not where it leads.

For a self confessed book addict, I would appreciate sensible answers please.

Cheers N_W.

Try them, the first couple (Discworld) lack a little, but once he gets into his stride they are brilliant. To suggest one at random that will give you the 'flavour' try Guards! Guards!

Indeed, and you don't even have to read them in order, although some of the more recent ones it helps if you do, "Going Postal" is good and then its sequel "Making Money".

Ever heard of library's :?

The Discworld novel's are the funniest books you will ever, probably, read, written for a British audience.

Not something for children but, not obscene, just very, very, funny. :D :D

You certainly don't need to read them in order, but lots of the books will make references to characters / events in the other books. Having read most of the books there are several trilogies developing a group of characters - for example there are three books centered around the city watch (very good), another three around Rincewind (avoid them), another three around the witches (quite good), another three about Tiffany and the Wee Free Men (not so good). three about the character Death (so-so).

"The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" has most of the funny bits in so read a bit of it in a bookshop and buy the books whose quiotes give you the most laughs.

*edit for inability to spell

expat said:
You certainly don't need to read them in order, but lots of the books will make references to characters / events in the other books. Having read most of the books there are several trilogies developing a group of characters - for example there are three books centered around the city watch (very good), another three around Rincewind (avoid them), another three around the witches (quite good), another three about Tiffany and the Wee Free Men (not so good). three about the character Death (so-so).

"The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" has most of the funny bits in so read a bit of it in a bookshop and buy the books whose quiotes give you the most laughs.

*edit for inability to spell
Cheers mate. That is a good explanation. It, however, err's me on the side of caution.

I may give it a miss.

northern_warrior said:
patg said:
Ever heard of library's
I love a fucking comedian. Of course I have heard of libraries.

No need to be facetious. I was only seeking advice!
Who was being facetious (this word at least proves that you can spell but, more probably, the spell checker did it for you), I was trying to save you money you ars*hole!!!

Try "Guards, Guards!", it's not a bad book at all and some of Pratchett's parodies and satirical references to real life are hilarious. "Moving Pictures" is good for a laff at Hollywood and the film culture.

Some of his books are good, some are not so good. They stand up equally well as standalone books or as part of a series. Would agree with expat's summary.

patg said:
northern_warrior said:
patg said:
Ever heard of library's
I love a fucking comedian. Of course I have heard of libraries.

No need to be facetious. I was only seeking advice!
Who was being facetious (this word at least proves that you can spell but, more probably, the spell checker did it for you), I was trying to save you money you ars*hole!!!
Cheers, I don't need spell check. I can spell. I also commend you for trying to save me money via the library system. Like I said before I was only seeking advice. No need to call me an arsehole. If you have no further input into my request for information...........You may go back to letting your uncle touch your special place.

Cheers N_W.

Have to agree the city watch books are the best, Vimes is a legend, I wish he'd hurry up and write the next one, the Moist books "going postal" and making money" are good, so is "the truth", the witchs books are ok too...avoid rincewind books not my thing

Terry Pratchett the fella who writes/says quotes such as these:

[The pamphlet] was very patriotic. That is, it talked about killing foreigners.
Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

"It could be a torture chamber or a dungeon or a hideous pit or anything!"
- "It's just a student's bedroom, sergeant."
- "You see?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
He was said to have the body of a twenty-five year old, although no one knew where he
kept it.
-- The Life and Times of Corporal Nobbs

Officers cant do officering, if they knew anything, they'd be sergeants.

Seems quite funny to me

I've read a few of his books, not in order tho, and found them quite funny.

I enjoy the discworld books, never read any of them in anything like the order they were written, and taken as fairly standalone books are easy to follow, in places there are references to events in other books but nothing which would make it hard going. I wasnt impressed by them at first but after I made the effort to re-read one or two found alot more to enjoy in them. I would say avoid the Wee Free Men books are they were written for the younger readers although if you are a Prachett fan (or Scottish and dont mind the stereotyping) they're a good easy read.

Cheers chef, have purchased the first one...The colour of magic. Will see what the outcome is. Hopefully I have not been sucked into some fucked up weird pratchett cult that I will now preach to all I meet!!

I've read all of them (yes even the kids ones) and even have to admit to reading such geek type , side bar, books, as The science of disc world. The city watch books are very laugh out loud, not recommended for reading on trains/planes etc as you will scare the other passengers. The witches come second in the funny stakes. Can be read on trains/planes, as you dont laugh out loud so much but snigger quite a bit. After that the others come down to a few sniggers and occasional laugh. Or at least that's how they affect me. Have to say I've found his last 3 or 4 not quite as hilarious as his early works. Not sure if that's a reflection on me or him.
Take a look here http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

They're hysterical and often very witty - but can be hit and miss. Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic IMO aren't nearly as good as the others: they're a straight parody of Fantasy literature and he hasn't found his own voice - so don't judge the rest of the series on those two. Similarly, Making Money is just a straight copy of the plot of Going Postal, simply with a different setting. Feet of Clay, though, is outstanding, as is Jingo with its wry take on Asian wars. For sheer nailbiting tension, the Fifth Elephant and Night Watch are great. If you like spotting literary refs, go for Wyrd Sisters and Lords and Ladies. Want to scoff at organised religion? Small Gods. He can be a wickedly observant, bitingly sarcastic and deeply humorous author.

And yes, you will become freakishly obsessed and evangelical, sorry. Join us :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarkOneBiscuit Films, Music and All Things Artsy 11
Spacehopper383 The Book Club 308
Dwarf The Book Club 192