Terry Pratchett - To dabble or not?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by northern_warrior, Dec 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would appreciate some information from the esteemed folk on these 'ere forums ref: Terry Pratchett novels.

I have never fancied them myself, not really what I'm into.
    However, I have read comments on how ball bustingly funny they are.
    So before I commit to reading the 20 odd novels. I would appreciate if it is worth the ballache/cash displacement in acquiring the first one to set me off on an adventure that I know not where it leads.

For a self confessed book addict, I would appreciate sensible answers please.

Cheers N_W.
  2. Try them, the first couple (Discworld) lack a little, but once he gets into his stride they are brilliant. To suggest one at random that will give you the 'flavour' try Guards! Guards!
  3. Indeed, and you don't even have to read them in order, although some of the more recent ones it helps if you do, "Going Postal" is good and then its sequel "Making Money".
  4. Ahh, but do you do them in written order? That was one of my deterrents to start with!

All info gladly accepted.

Cheers N_W.
  5. Ever heard of library's :?

The Discworld novel's are the funniest books you will ever, probably, read, written for a British audience.

Not something for children but, not obscene, just very, very, funny. :D :D
  6. I love a fucking comedian. Of course I have heard of libraries.

No need to be facetious. I was only seeking advice!
  7. You certainly don't need to read them in order, but lots of the books will make references to characters / events in the other books. Having read most of the books there are several trilogies developing a group of characters - for example there are three books centered around the city watch (very good), another three around Rincewind (avoid them), another three around the witches (quite good), another three about Tiffany and the Wee Free Men (not so good). three about the character Death (so-so).

"The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld" has most of the funny bits in so read a bit of it in a bookshop and buy the books whose quiotes give you the most laughs.

*edit for inability to spell
  8. Cheers mate. That is a good explanation. It, however, err's me on the side of caution.

I may give it a miss.
  9. doesn't really matter what order you read them, try one and get the sense. guarantee you'll want another soon after. enjoy....
  10. Who was being facetious (this word at least proves that you can spell but, more probably, the spell checker did it for you), I was trying to save you money you ars*hole!!!
  11. Try "Guards, Guards!", it's not a bad book at all and some of Pratchett's parodies and satirical references to real life are hilarious. "Moving Pictures" is good for a laff at Hollywood and the film culture.

Some of his books are good, some are not so good. They stand up equally well as standalone books or as part of a series. Would agree with expat's summary.
  12. Cheers, I don't need spell check. I can spell. I also commend you for trying to save me money via the library system. Like I said before I was only seeking advice. No need to call me an arsehole. If you have no further input into my request for information...........You may go back to letting your uncle touch your special place.

Cheers N_W.
  13. Have to agree the city watch books are the best, Vimes is a legend, I wish he'd hurry up and write the next one, the Moist books "going postal" and making money" are good, so is "the truth", the witchs books are ok too...avoid rincewind books not my thing
  14. Terry Pratchett the fella who writes/says quotes such as these:

[The pamphlet] was very patriotic. That is, it talked about killing foreigners.
    Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

"It could be a torture chamber or a dungeon or a hideous pit or anything!"
    - "It's just a student's bedroom, sergeant."
    - "You see?"
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)
    He was said to have the body of a twenty-five year old, although no one knew where he
    kept it.
    -- The Life and Times of Corporal Nobbs

Officers cant do officering, if they knew anything, they'd be sergeants.

Seems quite funny to me

15. That made me laugh. :D